It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harper Booed by NFLD Conservatives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 01:05 AM
link   
On Saturday in Gander Conservative Super-Premier Danny Williams (perhaps the most popular Canadian politician) got into it with Conservative PM Harper in a big way as reported by CBC radio (who had staffers in attendance).

Harper would not agree that proposed changes to the Atlantic Accord (negotiated in good faith between Premier Williams and former Liberal PM Martin) which gives Newfoundland and Labrador resource revenues from the considerable offshore oil and gas reserves would not affect Newfoundland's share. Exceedingly harsh words were exchanged - things that in the Nixon-era would have been described as "expletive deleted". Apparently Harper was booed so much by Newfoundland Conservatives that he "walked out" - much like a disgruntled North Korean diplomat at the UN.

Conservatives booing Conservatives, a Prime Minister no less. Earlier in the day they were apparently all smiles and chuckles buddy-buddy style. Harper even joked at a public appearance earlier that Premier Williams (who holds a 70% approval rating across the province) was more popular in Newfoundland and Labrador than Harper was within his own family. Hmmm.

Premier Williams is a lawyer who shares business offices with an NDP'er and is a straight-shooting no nonsense man of the people. I really like him for that. He deals staight and clean on issues and expects the same in return. Something happened to turn smiles and chuckles into vituporous invective expletives in less than an hour.

Danny Williams doen't often curse - but when he does - have you heard a Newfoundlander curse? Harper most likely did not get the regional nuances of speech nor the importance of the Accord to the East. Uh, Calgary: We have a problem.

The Calgary School political trainers of Harper do not get it yet - they are a minority government and as such can not afford to alienate anyone - especially Conservatives. What did he think they'd just let him grab a billion or so off the top for the Feds that the Libs and Williams had negotiated? Not while Danny Williams has breath in his body. Harper will have to back off or he may lose the vote in Newfoundland. One word from Williams and no one will vote Harper.

Harper has some net rather than fence mending to do. Booed him out of the hall in gander they did. I don't recall something quite like this ever happening. This story will run on radio for only a few hours judging by current "pressures" and influences. Try the CBC.ca site and select radio hourly updates. They wrote the story copy "light" - it was far more dramatic than the radio item portrays and contrasts radically from the "sunshine and lollipops" tone earlier in the day as evidenced by this CBC web link: www.cbc.ca...

By my count, that's the fourth time in a week that Harper has botched-up premo and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Know what? Make Danny Williams the federal Conservative leader and I'd vote Conservative again just to know that a real leader is taking care of business and our country. Harper should take a course in "how to win friends and influence people" - he's his own worst nightmare.

Remember not too long ago when Harper said he wanted to quit politics because he didn't receive as much support at the Conservative leadership convention as he thought he was owed? Well I think he may have made the wrong choice in staying.

The boy could learn a thing or two from the Philipino culture - a concept called "Pakikisama" the ability to get along with others with grace and respect. I call it being Canadian. When I was younger we called his type "spoiled brat" and were last picked when choosing up sides for shinny.

Victor K.

43'

[edit on 15-10-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Apparently, this Harper - Willams "disagreement" is pretty serious and getting worse. Williams, "That's when it hit the fan believe you me." A "sanitized" version of the schism and the "light" history follows at the end of this post as a link.

Newfoundlanders, even comedians (Mercer) don't fool around - Danny Williams is a Newfoundlander and not given to comedy. This will have Mercer armed with a MOAB of ideas, he may or may not choose to pull the trigger. Williams? His powder is dry, for now.

Bad huh? Not by half and then some believe you me... not by half. Rona "The Machine" Ambrose is about to drop the hammer on 'The Clean Air Act".. boy howdy "act" is right. Who's gonna take the hit? Do you buy gasoline? Do you drive a car or truck or MC? Do you work "the patch" or the assembly line? Do you live in NFLD? What will Williams do? Anything he wants to - he's that popular.

Uh, crank up enviro-expenses on Hibernia et al and it won't be just the one oil company leaving (already have)... Oh my dears, Harper talks about NFLD as the hub of Canada's energy superpower wheels in motion. Ambrose is a bout to put a hockey stick through the spokes of that spinning front wheel - endo, face-plant... then watch Williams "go off" - Ka-Boom. Maybe even cut his own deal with the Russkies. I like Williams, a whole lot. Harper should not play with explosives or run with scissors. Canada could use another dozen or two of the likes of Premier Danny Williams.

A CBC link: www.cbc.ca...

Stay tuned, true and Canadian.

Victor K.

43'

[edit on 16-10-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I'm not that familiar with the provincial politics of Newfoundland. Danny Williams is quite popular, isn't he?

I wish we still had Progressive Conservatives on a federal level. It would make it so much easier for me on voting day.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
For sure Duze'. Premier Williams is really, really popular within the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador. I'm not sure that I'm aware of many politicians in any democracy that has 70% of public popular support within any jurisdiction.

You know how Canucks really like Mercer eh? Yeah, like that, only a lawyer, ornerier, smarter and absolutely ruthless when it comes to caring about his province and the rest of Canada, from what I can tell.

It's a Newfoundland thing... folks from Atlantic Canada will know what I mean. A Newfoundlander or any Martimer will risk there own lives trying to save anyone even on the North Atlantic in a hurricane in a fishin' boat top-heavy with ice - it's the way they're built and an admirable trait. You see, folks especially within provinces that aren't highly populated, (NFLD&L 2005, 515,591 pop) need each other way more than say in TO... they care about each other without regard. Folks from NFLD&L leave NFLD&L all the time (for work) but, the NFLD&L'er never leaves them... they are "lifers". Danny Williams wants that exodus to the west stopped and the population likes that. NFLD&L is an economic "hostage" to Harper's policy.

BTW: I'm an Ontarioan currently but have had the pleasure to travel this magnificent dominion and experience the deal. It really is a "deal", kinda cool, we're all uniquely different but yet Canadian, people who live here (Canada) will get that. Danny Williams gets that. Harper doesn't. They're both Conservatives.

Here's a link to Premier Willams online bio at the Office of The Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador. His creds are impressive... I don't care too much about that... I don't think this man is capable of lying. There's a bunch more on him if you look, try the Goog.

Victor K.

43'

[edit on 16-10-2006 by V Kaminski]

top topics

join