It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide and the afterlife...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Professional help is the best advice considering your statements in the opening post. There are good medications and therapy can help you put your life into a rational perspective.

No one knows what lies beyond death, no matter what anyone may tell you. Maybe it's nothing maybe it's not. I wouldn't base any decisions on what happens next.

Life is full of opportunities, if we are only willing and able to recognize them and take advantage of them.

Conventional wisdom tells us that we think what we think (suicide) because of how we feel (depressed). Much research indicates that we feel what we feel because of what we think.

Cognitive behavioral theory identifies a number of distortions of thought that make people feel depressed. Learning to identify these distortions of thought can go a long way toward overcoming overwhelming sadness.

While I would still recommend a professional assessment, I would also recommend that you read the book Feeling Good. It is a layman's guide to the cognitive behavioral approach and how to take command of one's own thought processes, overcome depression, and conquer one's life. That's a lot of value for the cost of a book.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Where are the sources that justify your belief. The only thing I can suggest is to seek phychoanalytical and, or medical attention immidiately. If not, consoling in a friend or family member is just as good.

Just because you "believe" in your so-called socially perverse manifestation of the after-life, doesn't mean it even has a shred of a chance of existing. Christian, and constituent religions rising or even supporting and creating the Christian ideologies of the after-life and the eternal servitude of one God in perpetuum has been a trend over thousands of years. A pathological underpinning to the human ethos; the mind creates mechanisms for relieving and dealing with stress so that it can reproduce.

So, one can believe in God or any of the religions that exist to help console yourself and reject personal destruction,. One can even immerse himself in your pseudo-philosophical purviews but it is in no means a justification for self destruction. You must live in gradients of both well-being and mental states of depridation because you are human. Your genes don't care about you, they are the id, the pursuant of your mind which act as a mechanism for the perpetuation of your genome. Don't you want to supercede those constituent genes that drive your body, mind and soul? Surpass them and live a life of human expression and the pursuit of knowledge, not genes and the delusional abstract idealities the mind expresses?

Ironic... that the pursuants of your biological existence shall drive you to its ultimate destruction. I say... revel in love and your personal reconstruction of mankind and forget these frivelous incantations of which no being controls.

[edit on 15-10-2006 by cognoscente]

God says explicitly in the his gospel that those who commit in the elimination of their body openly rejects the soul that was given to them. They reject God, and are therefore classified with the Devil and cast to sulphur and fire, and of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

It is said; it may not be what most people believe but if you wish to console in God or any other human-stemmed religion that follows these spiritual trends, then that is what they will tell.

I'd like to console you and all who pursue these social deviations, but it comes to you to supercede and overcome the thoughts that propose to eliminate your conscious being. If you'd would like, you can private private message me and tell me what you've been through. We'll think some things through and I won't type a word that deals the physco-analytical conventions I have followed while writing this post.

[edit on 15-10-2006 by cognoscente]

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Number one if you commit suicide your a bitch because that means you cant handle it and your to much of a wuss to stick it out, grow up and stop being so emo...if you die you goto one of two places and youll be going to hell, gosh you emo kids piss me off, your just craving attention, I say kill yourself and come tell me what happens in your new body...and vertexc you didnt die and get sent back because it wasnt your time...seriously anyone who believes that is on acid...

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Hey mods, I think this thread has done its job. It might be a good idea to close it now before someone that has no clue talks this poor soul back into what he was contemplating.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I've been getting in the dumps lately myself, I am even losing interest in the internet. But it comes and goes. I feel at my worst after I drink, things seem dim, I sigh a lot, things feel pointless. I think the best way to get away from stinkin' thinkin' is to go find someone to hang out with, being alone is too self reflective.
Sometimes I actually feel envious of the dead, mainly because they don't have to deal with life.
But suicide? No way!
You're not alone buddy, you got to stick it out, besides there are good times to be had in the future, you don't want to miss that!
Besides, why rush it, we'll all be dead in good time anyway, just be patient

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by st3ve_o
i'm 24 i'm a young man and i'm a big beliver in curing yourself (therefore i would NEVER go and talk to somebody) i don't want anyone getting inside my head.
[edit on 15-10-2006 by st3ve_o]

I think you have a huge misconception when it comes to psychotherapy. No one is going to try to "get inside your head." They're people just like me and you. Ironically, a lot of them have had some of the same problems that we face. Speaking personally, I've had several friends who have had mental problems and have gone into the field of psychology. I thought at the time that it was ironic, but now I think it makes sense because they know things firsthand that can't be taught in a classroom.

Anyway, there's plenty of people out there that you can talk to. I'm not aware of your financial situation or how the healthcare system works in Great Britain, but I know that there are always professionals out there who volunteer their time to talk to people for free.

Just do all of us who are concerned about you this one favor... try talking to a professional JUST ONCE. You have nothing to lose!! You need to check whatever misconceptions you have at the door. You simply talk to the person just like you are talking to any of us on here. You only tell them what you want them to know. They don't judge you or think ill of you. They can't report you for any crimes you've committed. If you're not comfortable with how it goes, then simply leave. But I am confident that if you put the effort in and talk to someone your life will improve over time.

I'm 25 years old- a young guy just like you. I grew up with a loving, yet very different, family. I've never been molested or touched or forced to do drugs or anything like that, thankfully. But I have been lead into some very bad areas by certain loved ones from a young age. I've done things that I know not a single other member on here has ever done- and especially not with the assistance of a family member. LOL

Anyway, I started seeing a psychologist in high school after I began having panic attacks. She was a cool lady and a good listener. Obviously I didn't tell her my deepest, darkest secrets. But I did tell her the things that I wanted to, and she did help me. I saw her again when my parents were divorced, and finally again after my father died. I'm thankful that I did see her.

Believe me when I tell you that the worst thing you can do is keep your feelings to yourself. You're just turning yourself into a powder keg that's waiting for a spark. Even if you refuse to talk to a professional, at least find SOMEONE that you can express your feelings to. You will feel better for it. The more you let things build up inside of you, the worse you'll get. And I know we've all heard this a million times, but drinking isn't the way to go. The answer is NOT at the bottom of the bottle! Trust me, I looked!!! I've gone the drinking route, the drug route, the sleeping with as many girls as humanly possible route, etc, etc. And I'm still paying on a personal level for all of those things. Drinking just makes you feel worse, especially once the buzz wears off!

Just find someone to talk to, professional (preferably) or not (last resort). You may also want to try finding some outlets for your emotions. Maybe some kind of sport, weight training, boxing, or something more mind/relaxation-based like meditation, yoga, etc. But I think you'll agree when I tell you that something has to be done- a change has to be made. You're not going to cure yourself by spinning your wheels in the mud. You need to pick up the ball and run with it- it's your life and you can only depend on yourself for your happiness, not anyone else.

Sorry for all of the cliches, puns, etc. But I've been where you are (and much worse) and I know from experience that they all ring true.

Remember, my friend... Only when you've been in the deepest valley, can you truly know how magnificent it is to be atop the highest mountain!

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
If I wanted to kill myself I wouldn't talk to anyone about it and just do it.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by st3ve_o
i hate my current life, id kill myself if i had the guts, i'm not scared of dying but i'm scared of dying (the after effects) hell....

Suicide is not an actual way out. There are plenty of ways to deal with life's problems, and running away from them won't fix it. If you kill yourself, think of how many people close to you you will also scar for life. The best thing to do is find what the problem is and fix it in a rational manner. I've experienced things in life that would drive the normal person insane, but I continue living.

Both my parents work in Afghanistan through the DoD, and the stories they tell me of the children there would completely break your heart. My mother had an empty water bottle she was going to throw away, but one of the children there asked her if she can keep it. My mother gave it to the girl, and she and her friends used it to kick around as a ball. Most don't even have toys, so they use rocks and stones to play games with. Others beg the soldiers there to let them have their sandwich bags, so that they can have paper to do their school work on.

In my experience with friends who wanted to commit suicide is that they did it because they felt like they were indifferent to this world, with no place in it. In this world, every life matters and every life is capable of doing great things. There's plenty of things we should be fortunate for, friend. There's so many people in the world that is suffering that would gladly switch places with any of us, no matter how bad we view our lives to be. You have a lot of power in this world to do good for others and yourself. If you were to kill yourself, how would you ever know if tomorow would be the best day of your life?

If you need someone to talk to, you can send me a u2u. I'll gladly help you out with any of your problems. Don't think you're alone, cause you have friends here with you, who will help. We all feel miserable in our lives from time to time, and it's friends who support us who always help us get through it. That's what we're here for.

[edit on 16-10-2006 by DJMessiah]

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I'd been asked to come on this thread from an observer to try to help (thank you for the referral!). I think there's many words of good advice, though also some of them look like "advice-lite".

I'd like to ask people who say "go see a therapist" if they saw someone standing on the edge of a skyscraper contemplating a jump, would you offer the same advice? Although a lot of us probably feel "untrained" in this regard, but I don't know of a single person who wants to hear a scripted response.

I'm glad the thread remained open, as I don't know of anyone who works at a 911 helpline that hangs up on people.

Further, a quick pat on the back and a "hang in there" from people who are doing fine doesn't really help. I appreciate the attempt though, better than doing nothing at all.

Just some thoughts from an ex-suicidal person.

To the credit of the thread, I appreciate ATS being a channel where someone can feel comfortable discussing a very difficult topic. I appreciate those who can verify suicide as being the wrong course of action, their testimony, and an understanding of God's position on the matter.

Steve, please check your U2U and feel free to respond if you'd like. Remember please that we're living in the present, not the past or the future. By denying the future, you just may miss something incredibly awesome. The past is gone, we can learn from it but it is not who we are right now. Right now you can get the answers to many questions you have and will try to help with them any way I can.

Thank you to those who have prayed for Steve.

[edit on 17-10-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
I'd like to ask people who say "go see a therapist" if they saw someone standing on the edge of a skyscraper contemplating a jump, would you offer the same advice?

It's not the same thing.

We are on the internet ... with no physical contact; no eye to eye contact; and absolutely no way of being able to get any information that can be of help for this guy/girl.

The responsible thing for people to do on the internet - people without training and without any physical contact with the person - is to tell him/her to get the phone and call someone to help IMMEDIATELY. And at the same time tell him/her that getting help is the best thing; there is no stigma; and that people who have survived suicide situations are VERY glad that they lived.

I used to be on the suicide/emergency help line at the chaplains office in the Army. It was a long time ago but the one thing I remember was that it was vitally important with a potential suicide to get the person in physical contact with someone immediately - police, family, neighbor - someone.

It's impossible for us to be there physically, but we can direct the person to get someone there for immediate emergency help.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I'd been asked to come on this thread from an observer to try to help ...

I'm VERY glad about that. Seriously. I'm concerned ...
It's been 2 days and we haven't heard from him again. And his last posts were about suicide.

[edit on 10/17/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I'd been asked to come on this thread from an observer to try to help (thank you for the referral!). I think there's many words of good advice, though also some of them look like "advice-lite".

I'd like to ask people who say "go see a therapist" if they saw someone standing on the edge of a skyscraper contemplating a jump, would you offer the same advice? Although a lot of us probably feel "untrained" in this regard, but I don't know of a single person who wants to hear a scripted response.

Were you sent here to critique the thread or be of service?

FlyersFan beat me to the post button, but has stated a very cogent response to your condescension. Most of the responses to this thread have been quite good in my opinion. The most egregious was removed.

I guess the rest of us can go home now.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

It's not the same thing.

We are on the internet ...

The person typing could be posting their last message. Being that we cannot see them, how do you know they're not on their laptop on a rooftop? Or don't have a weapon next to the keyboard?

with no physical contact; no eye to eye contact; and absolutely no way of being able to get any information that can be of help for this guy/girl.

"with man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." I intend to at least try.

The responsible thing for people to do on the internet - people without training and without any physical contact with the person - is to tell him/her to get the phone and call someone to help IMMEDIATELY. And at the same time tell him/her that getting help is the best thing; there is no stigma; and that people who have survived suicide situations are VERY glad that they lived.

I used to be on the suicide/emergency help line at the chaplains office in the Army. It was a long time ago but the one thing I remember was that it was vitally important with a potential suicide to get the person in physical contact with someone immediately - police, family, neighbor - someone.

It's impossible for us to be there physically, but we can direct the person to get someone there for immediate emergency help.

I think it's a great idea to reach out, but for a suicidal person, many times they're writing because they don't want to talk to someone on the phone or face to face...else they would've done so already. Sure, encourage them to visit a pastor, but in the meanwhile, at least talk them while they're standing on the ledge unless they wish otherwise.

Thank you for your service on the suicide/ermergency help line. It is a great and powerful work.

[edit on 17-10-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Were you sent here to critique the thread or be of service?

Be of service.

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I guess the rest of us can go home now.

I'll be here, have a good night.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Suicide is an easy way out, taking the easy way out never accomplishes any thing it just shows your weak. If you are unhappy deal with it everyone else does what makes you any different. I'm sorry but I have never been one to candy-coat things
I hope that you decide to live on and contribute to society.

Always with love,
James McMahn

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I intend to at least try.

Oh absolutely. Please do. And at the same time those who post 'get thee to some help immediately' should continue to say it.

I'm still concerned .. two days and the last posts were on suicide.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
hey, ive been talking with 'saint4God' and he said that hes received a few pms from people making sure i was okay.

i am alrite, to be honest i am that embarrassed by this thread i won't even read what i wrote

all it was, is i went out, had a drink (not had a good night) came home in a bad mood and feeling sorry for myself, i wish i just went to bed now to sleep it off - trouble is with me i never won't to go to bed after ive been out and i always end up making a fool of myself

but i'm not suicidal and i have no death wish, so i'm ok
- i would also like to thank those who pm'd me at the time (sorry i can't remember who it was now as i deleted them) but its great to know that theres people in this community willing to listen and help those who need it

take care and thanks

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Thank God! I am very happy to hear you are okay and I certainly hope you and Saint4God will keep in touch. ... please feel free to reach out to any one here if you feel the need!

YOU HAD ME WORRIED! Glad everything is okay.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
YAY Happy Ending

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
I've been getting in the dumps lately myself, I am even losing interest in the internet. But it comes and goes. I feel at my worst after I drink, things seem dim, I sigh a lot, things feel pointless. I think the best way to get away from stinkin' thinkin' is to go find someone to hang out with, being alone is too self reflective.
Sometimes I actually feel envious of the dead, mainly because they don't have to deal with life.
But suicide? No way!
You're not alone buddy, you got to stick it out, besides there are good times to be had in the future, you don't want to miss that!
Besides, why rush it, we'll all be dead in good time anyway, just be patient

But self-reflection is what frees you!!!!!!!!

It may seem hard at first to hold yourself accountable, but it is what empowers you... Please, don't look for a distraction from your "self" because this nefarious world is enough of a reflection. Go within, get comfortable, then you'll see the rocky road that others face as a mere experience that will only make you the wiser. Remember that you do not need to believe in something to make it true.

AAC

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join