It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Vote Backs N Korea Sanctions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The UN Security Council voted unanimously, Saturday, to impose punitive sanctions on N Korea for it's nuclear weapons test. The new sanctions include an embargo on all materials that might be used for Pyongyangs "unconventional" weapons program, as well as the requirement for all countries to freeze N Korean assets. What the resolution does not contain is any mention of military action in the event that N Korea refuses to abide by the new resolution.

news.bbc.co.uk
The resolution:

# Demands North Korea eliminate all its nuclear weapons, weapons of mass destruction and ballistic missiles.

# Requires all countries to prevent the sale or transfer of materials related to Pyongyang's unconventional weapons programmes, as well as large-sized military items such as tanks, missiles and helicopters.

# Demands nations freeze funds overseas of people or businesses connected with North Korea's nuclear and ballistic missile programs.

# Allows nations to inspect cargo moving in and out of North Korea in pursuit of non-conventional weapons.

# Is not backed up by the threat of military force.

# Calls on Pyongyang to return "without precondition" to stalled six-nation talks on its nuclear programme.

US ambassador to the UN John Bolton said the claimed missile test posed "one of the gravest threats to international peace and security that this council has ever had to confront".

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I was surprised to find that China voted with Russia to support the resolution, despite "reservations" over the inspections clause. Of course the N Korean ambassador to the UN walked out after the vote, still threatening to escalate it's testing and weapons program. This should send a very strong message to Pyongyang that even their biggest fan, China is fed up with their shennanigans.

However, you can't really expect a crazy man to understand such things, so my expectation is that Kim will just continue to blame the US for all of it's problems and ignore the message from everyone else.

Related News Links:
www.cbc.ca
www.nytimes.com[/ url]

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
North Korea's Nuke Test-Evidence Of Radiation
North Korea says nuclear test successful
N. Korea sees U.S. pressure as 'act of war'

[edit on 14-10-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
These sanctions can not be enforced through military action and thus North Korea will ignore the ones they can.

Text of the U.N. resolution on N. Korea

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
You know, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually agree with how the US government is handling this. I think it was a job well done to get a unanimous vote on these sanctions, which I think is more important than the sanctions themselves. Some will say it is not good enough and we should attack and disable their ability to make nuclear weapons. But if we start another pre-emptive war, without trying all diplomatic options first, we risk China getting involved, and SK will be invaded, ect.

I think this is the right move, and now the ball is in their court. They are the ones that are against the wall, not us.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I'm right there with you on this one, Hal. Yes, something with more teeth would have been nice but then China and/or Russia would have put the Kibosh on the whole thing.
At least this way Kim knows that China and Russia aren't going to make excuses for their behavior and have had enough. I don't necessarilly believe that NK will suddenly get religion and change their ways overnight, but it is a start in the right direction.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   
It is good all the countries are together on this one. Who does Kim Jong Il think he'll turn to if / when he starts a war with the US, South Korea or anyone else?

Also it's important to not corner him without any means of escape as I'm sure that will set him off to attack due to his military mentality.

Hopefully over time this will resolve in a peaceful manner.

Peace,
- Naz

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 04:55 AM
link   
does anyone think maybe it does not matter what happens n.korea want confrontation with the U.S anyway

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by dan777
does anyone think maybe it does not matter what happens n.korea want confrontation with the U.S anyway

That is what I have been saying. I think NK wants an excuse to invade SK with their million man army, but can't because that means war with the US. So I think their plan is to take advantage of lack of support for the US due to the war in Iraq, and provoke a pre-emptive attack from the US. This would cause China to come to their aid and give them reason to invade SK, and I believe they think the world opinion would swing in their favor. That is why a unanimous vote on these sanctions are so important.

They have been all talk and no show for the last fifty years, including a nuke test that either fizzled or was fake. Let’s not be fooled into giving them what they really want.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
China is already balking about enforcement of sanctions.

Divisions Remain on N. Korea Enforcement
China reiterated it would not conduct any inspections and called for caution.

Enforcing N. Korea Sanctions Looks Tough
The final resolution was softened and did not mandate searches, and China - the North's closest ally and largest trading partner - said it would not carry out any inspections.

Sanctions generally hurt the poor and usually fail, so what makes it so different this time? No enforcement by South Korea, China and Russia won't bring the DPRK back to the table.

I doubt this is the solution to improving North Korean relations.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
So, basicly, they are not even going to get a slap on the hand for this. I like how the US is handleing this as well. But I must say I am becoming more disapointed not to mention suspicious of China and Russia every day. They were all for sanctions, just as long as they are not enforced?.....seriously, gimme a break. This whole thing is just down right frustrating. Kind of like those annoying parents......you know the type Im talking about. All talk no action. Why waste time and money talking if nothing is going to be done?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 02:12 AM
link   
just wandering does anyone know how big the n.korean army is and do they have as many military as the U.S or whats the story there

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
N Korea is known to have over 1,000,000 men in it's army. That's 1 million.

As far as whether China intends to enforce the inspections and other sanctions, take a look at this. Looks to me as if maybe they will.

Monday, October 16, 2006
SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea appeared to slip further into isolation on Monday, as China - under intense pressure to enforce new U.N. sanctions - inspected cargo trucks bound for its communist ally and stepped up construction of a border fence.

Japan - once a major trading partner with the North Korea - said it was considering further sanctions, and Australia banned the North's ships from its ports.

In Washington, U.S. National Intelligence Director John Negroponte's office said that air samples have confirmed that North Korea conducted an underground nuclear test.

The Chinese inspections at a border crossing with the North came amid concerns that Beijing would ignore the new U.N. sanctions leveled against the reclusive communist country for its proclaimed nuclear test. China is a major trader with North Korea and its support is key to the success of the new U.N. measures, which call for nations to check cargo leaving and arriving from North Korea.Link

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Why the heck should North Korea listen to the UN??

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Why the heck should North Korea listen to the UN??

Is that a rhetorical question, Nygdan? If you are seriously asking, then I would say because they are a member of the UN and have pledged to abide by that body's decisions. Now, if they truly don't feel that the UN has the right to censure them for their blatant disregard for the security and peace of the region, they are more than welcome to give up their membership in the UN.

That's just my take on the subject.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I think I here alot of people trying to go back to sleep.

At some point we've got to get out of bed and deal with this stuff! I've never seen a problem resolved by ignoring it or by half measures. What's the next outrage gonna be? When do we take this seriously? (sorry, rant)

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by HimWhoHathAnEar
I think I here alot of people trying to go back to sleep.

At some point we've got to get out of bed and deal with this stuff! I've never seen a problem resolved by ignoring it or by half measures. What's the next outrage gonna be? When do we take this seriously? (sorry, rant)

I agree. These are serious matters that deserve serious consideration. Ignoring the subject won't make it go away and there should have been some serious consequences incorporated into the UN resolution, should NK not comply. Unfortunately, politics seems to be more important to hese people than a lasting solution.

new topics

top topics

join