It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exercise or Real McCoy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Like many here, I’ve been tracking the apparent military buildup in the Gulf for some time now, and have some questions.

The latest news is that this is an interdiction exercise scheduled for the end of this month.

today.reuters.com...

But if this is just a routine exercise, why the apparent secrecy surrounding it up till now? Why wasn’t there an announcement sooner?

The alternative media has been sounding the alarm, characterizing this as the possible start of a major war. Everyone from the former Mideast bureau chief at the New York Times to the Green Party have been writing along these lines. Do they know something we don’t?

www.truthdig.com...

www.gp.org...

www.globalresearch.ca...

Even if this is merely an exercise, something could still go wrong. Perceptions will play a big part here. Consider the following:

IRAN: TEHRAN FEARS U.S. ATTACK

www.adnki.com...

Arab leaders are reported to be seeking a summit meeting with President George W Bush to persuade him to change course before the whole region goes up in flames

english.daralhayat.com...

Then there is the “Rove factor” floating around in the background

www.rawstory.com...

I’m leaning toward “merely an exercise” but given all of the above, I wouldn’t rule out the other things.

[edit on 13-10-2006 by Dark Magician]

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Generally, military exercises aren't broadcast across the nation way in advance. This doesn't make them secret.

But considering current events, it's really no surprise where this exercise is being set up, as iIt puts us within a more optimal striking distance to hot spots. The first Reuters article you posted says as much.

Time will tell.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Given my past doomsaying background, I'm going to air on caution this time. Although the educated voices proclaiming that War is At Hand are numerous and very credentialed (Seymour Hersch, anyone?).

But it wouldn't take much for this "execize" to turn into a full-scale assault. I mean, we're putting part of our fleet in the Strait of Hormuz -- right in the Iranian cross-hairs. All it would take would be a simple suicide bombing on one of our ships, or a standoff that turns into a minor "skirmish" with Iran to let slip the dogs of war.

Seems like we're almost tempting fate here.

[edit on 16-10-2006 by behindthescenes]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
It is a drill but could easily upset the region anyway...

Considering that these type of ship interceptions are scheduled though, it is just a matter of time, until the drill becomes reality...

In other words... drill isn't as accurate as saying "practice"
since drill assumes that the possibility of use, is not anticipated...

and practice is to get better for what will be used.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Bahrain & Kuwait are in the exercise, along with NATO partners, France & Britian...

?? What about the other Gulf States?? United Arab Emerates, Qatar,
& Oman at the tip of land at the Strait of Hormuz...

i wonder why their not involved with the exercise meant to practise searching vessels for WMDs....they're not hyped into the high security risks in their backyard?

or are they along with Saudi Arabia, just not mentioned to keep them 'low profile'?

the other side of the Strait of Hormuz is the Gulf of Oman- ->Oman on the south shore, opposite of Iran & Pakistan on the North shore...an equally dangerous body of water

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Military exercises just coincidentially occured in the Gulf in the build up to the Iraqi invasion. It is pretty bloddy provocative even if it is just an exercise and could easily lead to a staged or real Iranian pre-emptive strike. Gulf Of Tonkin anyone? Pearl Harbour anyone? The Reichstag anyone?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Something else to consider - when does the exercise end? Normally, you'll see something like "a week-long exercise" or "10-day exercise." Is this exercise open-ended?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Drills?
We all know how those silly drills turn out,right?
Cant forget the "drills" about planes hitting the WTC and the pentagon.
Cant forget the "drills" going on in London,on the day it was attacked.

new topics

top topics

join