posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 09:35 PM
You people have obviously never lived in a foreign country. the grass is always greener crap.
Im living in the UK right now. Generally, I like it, but I really want to move back to the US, and so does husband. Its extremely restrictive here in
ways you couldnt imagine in the states. The same in Europe in general.
And this aint the first time Ive lived outside the US either.
Materialism is alive and well and full force in western Europe, for example. In fact, its alive and well.............everywhere. Downunder included.
Unless you escape to a third world country and live in a grass hut in the middle of nowhere, you aint ever gonna escape it by leaving the country.
Living here I have realized a few things, good and bad about the states.
1. Americans are materialistic about the quantity of crap they have. Over here, they are materialistic regarding fashion, style, and appearance of
2. Americans are alot more optimistic and upbeat about life, even at its worse, than anyone Ive ever seen in Europe. In general, I can honestly say
Americans are much happier and complain far less about stuff than Europeans do.
3. Americans really need better education in general. They do tend to be very clueless about geography, language, and culture.
4. The English show alot more pride in their homes and gardens. You definitely do not see overgrown weed infested front yards with cars up on blocks
unless youre in the ghetto.
5. Americans can be pretty damn stupid. But people in Europe are alot more ignorant of American culture than youd think. They tend to believe
hollywood movies, US sitcoms are accurate portrayals of daily life in the states.
6. Drivers over here are extremely rude, aggressive, and nonchalant.
7. People here are more open to environmental protections and conservation than they are in the states. Something I wish Americans would grasp the
8. America is alot freer in terms of free speech, religon, and familial and personal rights. For example, home schooling here is extremely difficult
to get permission for, unless you have a college degree. Society and government are far more centralized and regulated here in general.
9. Political correctness is completely out of control here. You can be arrested for making remarks that might be deemed racist even if your intent is
not. Same for homophobia. There really is little to no freedom of speech in that respect. In the US, the Klan still has a right to their views. Just
as we have a right to watch them and throw rotten tomatoes and doggie poop at them.
10. Unless you like over 50% of your diet being processed meats, dairy products, and alcohol, youll hate the food in Europe.
11. People here do drink alot. In fact, its hard to socialize at all without alcohol being present.
12. Europe has friggin security cameras everywhere. On the streets, on public land, lightposts, ect. And speed cameras.
13. People here do leave you alone. They dont shout from cars, honk, make noise, or do other annoying things for the hell of it. They dont say stupid
things to you out of the blue when you walk past them.
14. For women: the men here are alot better behaved and arent predatory, pushy, unkempt, furry faced macho idiots. They dont openly oogle and stare at
everything that has breasts and walks past. They are alot more subtle and do not intrude or stare at you like something for lunch, or start hitting on
you shamelessly even when your husband is right there.
15. In England, people are alot more kind to pets and take better care of them than they do in the states.
16. The criminal justice system is absolutely pathetic. They dont have the death penalty here, which I can understand and accept. What I cant accept
is the extremely weak, lenient, light punishments given to convicted criminals here. Robbers, burglars, rapists ect get disgustingly light sentances,
if they are sentanced at all. Some are simply let out on probation and given radio tags to wear for tracking. Also, life sentances here usually only
mean 10 or 15 years in jail, unlike in the states, where life generally means, well, you sit in prison the rest of your life.
17. The medical staff here are far more compassionate, carrying, and committed to healthcare than they are in the states. However, In Germany, my
experience with medical doctors was most unpleasant.
18. You get taxed for things you never thought possible for, and thus, you have less income.
19. Americans tend to be far less inhibted in their personal interactions, as well as when they party. Generally, American bars and parties are alot
20. Hardly anything stays open past 6 pm on weekdays, and 4 pm on weekends, except bars and restaraunts. If you work late shifts, youre screwed.
21. The candy here, especially chocolate, is superior to what you find in the states. The pastries are not.
22. There is no such thing as wilderness here. You cant go 5 miles anywhere on this continent without running into another town, village, farm,
23. People here are far less religous, which is nice. No bible bashers like you have in the states. Europe in general Ive come to learn is not
Christian, but highly agnostic and secular. The only really religous people here are immigrants from outside Europe, mainly Muslims, Sikh, and Hindus.
24. Drug laws are far more intelligent here than in alot of US states. Its pretty much legal to smoke pot, provided you arent trying to set up a drug
cartel. Basically, they dont waste time and resources arresting and jailing casual users or even addicts unless they have done something very bad.
25. After 9 pm, on public tv, you can see full frontal nudity and hear swearing on national tv. Depending on your mores, this can be a good or bad
26. Radio really sucks here. It lacks the variety and formatting that we have in the states.
27. In the various woodlands and forests, one can walk and camp safely without the worry of being eaten by wild animals such as cougars, wolves,
bears, and coyotes. There are no dangerous spiders on the UK islands, and the most poisonous snake is the adder, which is pretty weak and its venom is
mild. The most common wild animal seen are foxes and rabbits. However, the diversity of wildlife in Europe is lacking greatly.
28. Europeans thankfully do not have the same obsession for loud car stereos than can be heard miles away. People here are alot more quiet with their
These are just my own observations. The list aint complete.
There are some advantages and disadvantages to living here. In general, however, I prefer living in the states. The reason I moved here was because of
Most people romanticize about living abroad, only to find out it aint so friggin great as you thought. if you people are unhappy about your living
situations, move to another state. Ive lived all over the US and have found that each state is like a different country.
So leaving the US because of politics is lame. Its no where near as bad as you think, and, unlike other countries, we have limits on time our big
leader can serve.
Youll find the US is about as good as it gets in alot of ways. Theres no place like home.