It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you want to know about the SAS? Tactics and methods and so on...well here it is.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
The SAS is THE SF unit. All others are patterned after them, from Delta to JTF2.

The only US military unit patterned after the SAS is the US Army's Delta Force. That's it. The US Navy SEAL's will rock the SAS any day, land, sea, and air.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slice

The original poster talks like this video has top secret information and tactics, only special because they are SAS. Well, there is absolutely nothing special about these tactics, heck I have seen paintball teams do some of this stuff.

The methods and techniques the SAS used is still confidential as a means of how units like Delta used these to kill the terrorists and possibly rescue hostages if such event allows that. People may seem to know it, especially those people using airsoft weapons or paintball, that don't mean they take their business seriously and use those tactics successfully as well as means of new ideas that are brought up. As mojoberg has mentioned that the British MOD try to clamp this down in the past to prevent people from learning and adjusting to the counterterrorist units' style of dealing with bad people. You may think that this stuff is old and nothing to learn, but believe me that terrorists these days, when they want to succeed in their mission, they want to make sure they can learn from the best like the SAS that is built to kill them, they want to make sure that we are not successful interfering with their objectives. If I was a terrorist, I try to learn as much as possible against the units that are built to take me down. As a terrorist, you are constantly learning, for you have no rules, and you are extremely flexible to do things that counterterrorist units do not have. Its rare that something new comes up to use against the terrorists seriously. SAS and Delta prefer to keep something that works and use it again. If the terrorists adjust, it makes it harder for the counterterrorist units to think of something new at the wrong time. You may not be able to use these methods and techniques anymore. It make work only once probably.

[edit on 14-10-2006 by deltaboy]

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

I like to show you a video of the SWAT team making entry and it makes you want to shake your head.

What part of "training" do you not understand? The video with the SAS was a staged demonstration, meaning they could have displayed whatever image they wanted. The video of SWAT that you show is actual training of NON-LETHAL apprehension of a civilian. There is a huge difference, in tactics when you don't want to kill the suspect.

Watch the SAS video, they are killing without hesitation. SWAT is a bunch of police that are there to arrest the suspect, and they are only armed in case the suspect tried to shoot back. "Innocent until proven guilty", they do not want to kill, they want to arrest. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Slice are you really this stupid that you cannot understand that the video is a dramatical recreation it has NOTHING to do with the MOD SAS or any UK military. If you think that the video is official do you think the film BHD or Jarhead are official training videos for the US military

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
The SAS is THE SF unit. All others are patterned after them, from Delta to JTF2.

The only US military unit patterned after the SAS is the US Army's Delta Force. That's it. The US Navy SEAL's will rock the SAS any day, land, sea, and air.

Hey slice the navy seals are patterned after our SBS most US forces are patterned after the UK military

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojoberg
Slice are you really this stupid that you cannot understand that the video is a dramatical recreation it has NOTHING to do with the MOD SAS or any UK military. If you think that the video is official do you think the film BHD or Jarhead are official training videos for the US military

Do you know how to read? Please go back to school and learn some reading comprehension skills.

I said the SAS video in the original post was a staged demonstration, which is exactly the same as dramatic recreation. Do you understand that?? And no I do not think BHD and Jarhead are official training videos, you have to be on drugs to even ask that question, or to even think that. I am in the military, and I know what I am talking about.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
how come you thought the delta force were in the US marines surely someone serving in the military wouldnt get that wrong?

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   

What part of "training" do you not understand? The video with the SAS was a staged demonstration, meaning they could have displayed whatever image they wanted. The video of SWAT that you show is actual training of NON-LETHAL apprehension of a civilian. There is a huge difference, in tactics when you don't want to kill the suspect.

Watch the SAS video, they are killing without hesitation. SWAT is a bunch of police that are there to arrest the suspect, and they are only armed in case the suspect tried to shoot back. "Innocent until proven guilty", they do not want to kill, they want to arrest. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

The units are built for the same thing. The SAS may face a situation that they may be ordered or if they believe they can apprehend the suspects and interrogate them as well as rescue the hostages. Same thing for SWAT. Question is if the SAS prefer to kill the suspects or apprehend them in anyway they can. Same as for SWAT. How does SWAT deal with a scenario if tangos took over a school? Kill the tangos and rescue the children? If the tango has a bomb vest on him or her, then a SWAT member will not hesitate to kill that person. The SAS may not be in the law enforcement, however they could be order to apprehend a suspect without having to kill that person.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Do you know how to read? Please go back to school and learn some reading comprehension skills.

I said the SAS video in the original post was a staged demonstration, which is exactly the same as dramatic recreation. Do you understand that?? And no I do not think BHD and Jarhead are official training videos, you have to be on drugs to even ask that question, or to even think that. I am in the military, and I know what I am talking about.

if you think it a staged demonstration qhy did you say the SAS use primative tactics when the video has nothing to do with th SAS

did you see in the SWAT video the guy wearing a paintball mask haha
www.youtube.com... here is a proper SAS training video

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   

how come you thought the delta force were in the US marines surely someone serving in the military wouldnt get that wrong?

I didn't "think" that. Just at the time of typing it, I made a mistake. US Marine Delta Company and US Marine Force Recon both crossed my mind and that is what I typed. I meant to type US Army Delta Force. Honest mistake.

B.T.W. SBS was created in 1941. US Navy SEAL's were created in 1942. Why would the US Military pattern the SEALS over something that was not even a year old? They didn't. The fact is, both militaries needed soldiers that are multi-capable, and that is what was created. None of them were modeled after each other.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Guys, can we stop getting into personal flaming and SAS vs Delta/SEALs "this one is better than them" please.

These kind of petty comments of obvious patriotism from typical everyday people gets us nowhere.

They are elite forces, leave it at that. The only ones who have the right to comment in my opinion is the soldiers themselves.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Yeah, can we please stop the arguing it ruins threads here.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   

PR may it be, however that don't seem to work for the terrorist side that tends to do things that is similar to special operations units that deals with counterterrorism. This will not deter terrorists, in fact it makes the terrorists say "oh yeah so thats how Americans and British do this, lets try to counter this" or "so thats how they manage to do this, well I have a better idea that will make their mission unsuccessful."

Delta, if thats so then surely we shouldnt show ANY of our armed forces at work for fear of the otherside discovering the tactics. If so then surely the rangers are severely comprimised from the BHD film.

And I see that in the movie BHD, they don't show much about Delta's methods of executing a raid.

Yeah and I think stopping then from being able to enter a building would surely stop them from getting the hostages out...right?
Unless we have telelporters?

The extras in DVD don't show much and actors that imitates Delta is not Delta.

Well ofcourse not..

Delta instructors just train them how to properly execute a raid and use their weapons when making entry.

Yes and knowing this wouldnt assist a terrorist?

This video shows more than what the movie BHD can show as well as the extra features DVD.

Uhh ofcourse....

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I for one have personally worked with and have seen the SAS in action i have even played the part of a civillian in one of the excersises which i must say was an eye opening experience. They way these guys work is unbelievable very proffesional yet very basic. Brute force, Speed and suprise seem to be their most damaging weapons. Obviously i wouldnt spill the beans on my experiences with them but i can quite say that after the fuzzy dizziness of flash bangs wore off and i was un blind folded i felt a great sense of pride for what i know to be some of the most bravest men alive

CX

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Same here Saint, i spent time with these guys in Crossmaglen and used to have to go to Hereford now and again for work related stuff. You have to work with these people to appreciate what they are capable of.

Apologies Simon and everyone else for adding to the squabbles, i feel it's one of those subjects that will always cause heat.

Everything said though, i've stated before that whilst there is always a pissing contest when it comes to who has the best special forces, i'd be happy to have any of them on my side when the fit hits the shan!

CX.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Delta, if thats so then surely we shouldnt show ANY of our armed forces at work for fear of the otherside discovering the tactics. If so then surely the rangers are severely comprimised from the BHD film.

No, theres a difference between showing off what you can do on tv, and use it for real in a real event. Even the SAS in 1980 wanted cameras far away or turned off before the operation began.

Not to mention Rangers are not the one doing the operation, they just provide security around the perimeter like in the movie.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Aha XMG. I have such fond memories *cough cough*

CX

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesaint
Aha XMG. I have such fond memories *cough cough*

I know what you mean, i don't thing i have one pic from that place which does'nt feature a background of shrapnel damage!

CX.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I remember a SAS friend telling me about the time the SAS was asked to break into a US air force base and stick dummy bombs to the underside of the US airplanes to test the security on behalf of the US bigwigs. So they did thier thing, not washing for weeks, hiding out around the base, finding the times of the gaurds etc, broke in, stuck the dummy bombs to the planes etc and one of them hid as a gaurd passed with a dog, I assume the dog was not trained as a sniffer dog or that the SAS smelled like dog $hit after not washing anyway! The SAS guy heard the dogs name being called and what the gaurds name was etc.

Well at the de-briefing, the US heads of the base whom didnt know that the raid was going to happen, denied the break-in and apparently threw the dummy bombs away!

With that this SAS guy gets up, and says "If we didnt break in then how do I know that the Guard with the moustache is called Randy and the #ing dog is called Brutus!"

The US guy sat down and said nothing apparently.

Priceless.

I may add, my friend was not there but knew of this first hand, I have also read this in a SAS book somewhere!

McP

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Dont make me laugh son! And besides the most elite SF in the world is one you probably never heard of. Special Boat Service or the SBS.

Thier history speaks for itself...

1941: The Special Air Service was formed in World War II during the north African conflict. The SAS later formed a unit comprising eight-man sections of divers and canoeists to reconnoitre enemy fortifications from land or sea, raid enemy ports, and conduct sabotage operations against merchant shipping. Originally this unit was named the Special Boat Section to fool German radio operators listening in on British military communications. It was assumed that Wehrmacht operators would have little interest in a "Special Boat Section" when there was so much else going on.
1942 April: The British Royal Navy formed a frogman and manned torpedo unit called "Experimental Submarine Flotilla": see British commando frogmen for more about them and their deeds in 1942 to 1945.
1946: The SBS became part of the Royal Marines. It became part of the School of Combined Operations under the command of Blondie Hasler.
1951: Another two squadrons were formed from British troops in West Germany.
Two volunteer squadrons were later added. Their first missions were in Palestine (ordnance removal) and in Haifa (limpet mine removal from ships).
1950-1953: In the Korean War the SBS were in action along the North Korean coast. They gathered intelligence and destroyed railways and installations. The SBS operated first from submarines, and later from islands off Wonsan, behind enemy lines. They used two-man canoes and motorised inflatable boats.
1952: SBS teams were held at combat readiness in Egypt in case Gamal Abdal Nasser's coup turned more violent than it did.
1956: The SBS were alerted during the Suez Crisis, but did not see action.
1969 September: The SBS were alerted during a coup against king Idris I of Libya, but did not see action. Similar situations followed.
1961: SBS teams carried out reconnaissance missions during the Indonesian Confrontation.
1961: The SBS primarily gathered intelligence and trained other special forces during the Vietnam War.
1961: Iraq threatened to invade Kuwait for the first time, so the SBS put a detachment at Bahrain.
later: The SBS was stationed in Gibraltar, where they gathered intelligence in case Franco's Spain decided to invade.
The SBS were involved in anti-drug operations in the Caribbean.
1972: The SAS and SBS came into the spotlight for a moment during their involvement with a bomb threat (which later proved to be a hoax) onboard the Cunard liner RMS Queen Elizabeth II, in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
1977: The SBS changed its name to Special Boat Squadron.
1979: 5 SBS became part of the Comacchio Company, which protected North Sea oil rigs.
1980: SBS members played a part in the 1980 Iranian Embassy Siege.
1982 March-June: In the Falklands War, 2 SBS took part in the liberation of South Georgia and 6 SBS reconnoitered in East Falkland. Their only losses were to friendly fire from the SAS.
1987: The SBS became part of the UK Special Forces group alongside the Special Air Service and 14 Intelligence Company.
1987: The SBS changed its name to Special Boat Service and was brought under the command of the Director of Special Forces.
1991: During the Gulf War, the SBS made raids on the Kuwaiti coast to draw Iraqi troops away from the land attack. The liberation of the British embassy in Kuwait was one of their most high-profile operations.
1999 or later: The SBS were involved in operations in East Timor.
2001 October: The SBS took part in the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan, where they secured Bagram Airbase.
2003: The SBS took part in the invasion of Iraq in 2003.
2005 March 14: The commanding officer of the SBS, Lieutenant-Colonel Richard Van Der Horst[1], was killed in a training accident in Norway.
2006 June 27: Captain David Patten PARA and Sergeant Paul Bartlett, Royal Marines, were killed and another serviceman seriously injured in a Taliban ambush in Helmand province, southern Afghanistan[2]. It was reported by some sources that the ambushed vehicle was part of an SBS patrol and further sources reported that it was a special forces patrol[3].
Throughout the Cold War, the SBS was organised to perform a "conventional " special forces role for the 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines. However, in recent decades the SBS's role has become more and more devoted to counter-terrorist operations.

I would like to bring your attention to this bit...

1961: The SBS primarily gathered intelligence and trained other special forces during the Vietnam War.

McP

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   

No, theres a difference between showing off what you can do on tv, and use it for real in a real event. Even the SAS in 1980 wanted cameras far away or turned off before the operation began.

Yeah and they werent turned off, has this comprimised the SAS? no.
Delta the rangers demonstrated how to move through a built up area, IE showing the insurgents where to hit.

Not to mention Rangers are not the one doing the operation, they just provide security around the perimeter like in the movie.

Uhhh right, you do remember that they had to do other duties such as rescue TWO helicopter units.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join