It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you want to know about the SAS? Tactics and methods and so on...well here it is.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

As much as I hate to see them showing what they do when dealing with terrorists in a raid, possibly endangering the special forces community dealing with counterterrorism, not much we can do to clamp on it. But now its pretty much public so it don't matter anymore. At least Delta don't show this.

[edit on 13-10-2006 by deltaboy]

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Your kidding right ? There was nothing on that video that hasnt been shown countless times on TV,for example on that Combat Mission series shown in the US a few years ago or even on games like SWAT 4..those were standard tactics used for years.As far as im aware its the same Method of Entry techniques used throughout the world.

[edit on 14-10-2006 by bmdefiant]

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Nothing special at all... the tactics shown in the video are primitive.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   
yeah ive seen all that series on the discovery channel a few times, but i agree with the above 2 posters, theres nothing special about what is shown above.

the SAS won't tell you all their secrets, they'll only show you what they want you to know

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
www.youtube.com...

As much as I hate to see them showing what they do when dealing with terrorists in a raid, possibly endangering the special forces community dealing with counterterrorism, not much we can do to clamp on it. But now its pretty much public so it don't matter anymore. At least Delta don't show this.

[edit on 13-10-2006 by deltaboy]

Deltaboy, this is pure PR designed to scare the terrorists and show how profesional they are.
Delta sure as hell showed us they're tactics on the BHD extras DVD

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slice

well at least these tactics used by the SAS are known to work. Whereas the SAS rely on more simple methods and tactics to get the job done you could say they American SF rely too much on technology and less on effective soldiering and tactics. In the tora bora mountains of afghanistan SAS soldiers were frustrated with the US forces when hunting Bin Laden due to the fact they would not attack until they had all their air assets in place the SAS then decided to go in by themselves killing many enemy.

Ex SAS soldier ANdy Macnab wrote in one of his books that in a joint sas/delta force exercise in rescuing hostages the dejta guys had so much kit on them that the SAS had fast roped out of the helicopters and had made entry into the building before the Delta guys had even got out of the helicopters.

These tactics might be simple or "primitive" but they have been shown to work on countless occasions

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by mojoberg

well at least these tactics used by the SAS are known to work. Whereas the SAS rely on more simple methods and tactics to get the job done you could say they American SF rely too much on technology and less on effective soldiering and tactics.

You are wrong, the American Special Forces use the SAME tactics as these guys.

In the tora bora mountains of afghanistan SAS soldiers were frustrated with the US forces when hunting Bin Laden due to the fact they would not attack until they had all their air assets in place the SAS then decided to go in by themselves killing many enemy.

American Special Forces are trained to utilize any and all weapons available. They work as a team with air, land, and sea support. They do not rush into battle video game style. They plan, organize, and execute, as a whole team, not just "by themselves". If anything the SAS were stupid to rush into battle without air assets, they could have easily been over run and out numbered. They are not supermen, and their guns can only point at one target at a time, they could have easily been ambushed.

By the way, can you provide a source for your information?

Ex SAS soldier ANdy Macnab wrote in one of his books that in a joint sas/delta force exercise in rescuing hostages the dejta guys had so much kit on them that the SAS had fast roped out of the helicopters and had made entry into the building before the Delta guys had even got out of the helicopters.

That means the US Marine Delta Force came completely prepared for ANYTHING. That doesn't say much for the SAS. So what they can enter a building faster. How much backup ammunition did they have? How many flash bangs, frags, and smoke grenades did they have? Medical equipment? Communication equipment? Speed is not always the best solution. Being prepared for the SNAFU is. SAS is more like a Suicidal Acceleration Squad. Would you rush into combat with 100 bullets or 1000?

These tactics might be simple or "primitive" but they have been shown to work on countless occasions

The tactics in the video are so primitive, EVERYONE uses them. Including the Navy SEALS, Delta Force, Force Recon, Army Rangers, SWAT, and other law enforcement, and military groups.

Technically, the only difference between the SAS and American SF, is that the SAS do not "prepare for anything" like the American SF. The rest, including fighting skills, and tactics, are the same.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The tactics in the video are so primitive, EVERYONE uses them. Including the Navy SEALS, Delta Force, Force Recon, Army Rangers, SWAT, and other law enforcement, and military groups.

difference is when the SAS uses these tactics it works more often than not. Remember these videos have nothing to do with the official SAS they are old members of the regiment in them im sure tactics change. I dont didnt know the Delta force was a marine unit i always thought they were us army. Andy Macnab also wrote in one of his book about a delta force guy doing the sas jungle training, when they were training with explosives to blow up trees all the sas guys managed to knock the trees down whereas Dan Dan the delta force mans tree went rocketing in the air oops. Apparently Dan went back to the US went a bit nuts and shot his neighbours dog. It was also said that the US military begged the MOD to send another squadron of SAS to Afghanistan. Just like how the US navy over Afghanistan also wanted the RAF to refuel there fighters rather than the USAF due to the fact that when the fighters needed refuelling the RAF tankers were actually there at the right time

hey slice do you use the chuck norris Delta force film for your info or perhaps the charlie sheen seal team film

[edit on 14-10-2006 by mojoberg]

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   

CX

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Technically, the only difference between the SAS and American SF, is that the SAS do not "prepare for anything" like the American SF.

Shows how much you know about the SAS then

I'm taking it you've never worked alongside a SAS unit Slice. If you had, you'd realise that what you just said was total crap.

CX.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Technically, the only difference between the SAS and American SF, is that the SAS do not "prepare for anything" like the American SF.

Shows how much you know about the SAS then

I'm taking it you've never worked alongside a SAS unit Slice. If you had, you'd realise that what you just said was total crap.

CX.

the americans didnt prepare to well when the iranians kidnapped the Americans in Tehran or in Somaila

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Few corrections- Delta is, in fact, Army. It is by and large drawn from Ranger units.

The SAS is THE SF unit. All others are patterned after them, from Delta to JTF2. In fact, both teams regularly go for training with them. As for the commentary by Andy McNabb...well, I've heard the same thing in a book by a guy named Mike Curtis too. Delta is more tech than soldier.

Mojo, you're in the right. Slice, read Inside Delta Force, CLose Quarters Combat, and JTF2: Canada's Secret Commandos. They'll back us up.

DE

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Sources confirm reports of frustration and rivalry between the two - notably last December when US commanders prevented the SAS from searching for al-Qaida fighters in the caves around Tora Bora, where it was believed that Osama bin Laden was hiding.

The Americans wanted US special forces to do the job. But by the time US commanders had discussed the risks involved and what air cover was needed, Bin Laden and his al-Qaida fighters had left, sources say. They say the SAS have been repeatedly frustrated by the practice of American commanders of referring operational decisions to command headquarters in Tampa, Florida, and Washington

Sounds to me US SF want all the praise, way to go guys!

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Few corrections- Delta is, in fact, Army. It is by and large drawn from Ranger units.

The SAS is THE SF unit. All others are patterned after them, from Delta to JTF2. In fact, both teams regularly go for training with them. As for the commentary by Andy McNabb...well, I've heard the same thing in a book by a guy named Mike Curtis too. Delta is more tech than soldier.

Mojo, you're in the right. Slice, read Inside Delta Force, CLose Quarters Combat, and JTF2: Canada's Secret Commandos. They'll back us up.

DE

ive been hearing some real good things about the Canadians in Afghanistan they sound real professional an have done some great hings there.

Im not saying the American SF are useless but to call the SAS primitve and do not prepare properly the SAS train for every situation of that there is no doubt. It is true that the US military rely too much on tech whereas as the UK military (perhaps we cannot afford all the high tech stuff) rely on good old fashioned soldiering and tactics

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Deltaboy, this is pure PR designed to scare the terrorists and show how profesional they are.

PR may it be, however that don't seem to work for the terrorist side that tends to do things that is similar to special operations units that deals with counterterrorism. This will not deter terrorists, in fact it makes the terrorists say "oh yeah so thats how Americans and British do this, lets try to counter this" or "so thats how they manage to do this, well I have a better idea that will make their mission unsuccessful."

And I see that in the movie BHD, they don't show much about Delta's methods of executing a raid. All it shows are that Delta coming in. The extras in DVD don't show much and actors that imitates Delta is not Delta. Delta instructors just train them how to properly execute a raid and use their weapons when making entry. This video shows more than what the movie BHD can show as well as the extra features DVD.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   

If its primitive...why we still using it? Does the SAS and Delta walk through walls and take down tangos using barehands and no weapons that makes the tactics in the video obsolete?

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I like to show you a video of the SWAT team making entry and it makes you want to shake your head.

www.youtube.com...

At this rate the terrorists wins by blowing up the hostages, the building or house and the heavily armed unit SWAT with them, and take them to paradise.

Who the hell would leave the front door open for SWAT to come in????

I have respect for the SWAT as motivated people that does its best to perform its mission they were built for, but when you guys see this video, you prefer some other unit to do the job.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

PR may it be, however that don't seem to work for the terrorist side that tends to do things that is similar to special operations units that deals with counterterrorism. This will not deter terrorists, in fact it makes the terrorists say "oh yeah so thats how Americans and British do this, lets try to counter this" or "so thats how they manage to do this, well I have a better idea that will make their mission unsuccessful."

And I see that in the movie BHD, they don't show much about Delta's methods of executing a raid. All it shows are that Delta coming in. The extras in DVD don't show much and actors that imitates Delta is not Delta. Delta instructors just train them how to properly execute a raid and use their weapons when making entry. This video shows more than what the movie BHD can show as well as the extra features DVD.
we still need to understand that the videos are still only ex members of the SAS showing the tactics they learnt it is not an official video if i remember correctly the MOD in the past have tried to stop these type of programmes being broadcast. Still great to watch though

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Since some of you lack understanding, let me explain...

I NEVER said ALL tactics used by SAS are primitive. I said the tactics used in the video are primitive. They are basic breach and clear tactics. There is simply no other way to do it. Throw a flash bang, rush in the room. That is all they showed in the video. Wow they have a neat little truck with a stupid little latter on top to get in a window, big deal. They have a pry bar, and a special shotgun round to take out a door, big deal. A special explosive device to break a window or door, wow, you mean a "door-breaching charge" is not enough? They showed they can repel a rope, and do it hands free if they needed, big deal.

The original poster talks like this video has top secret information and tactics, only special because they are SAS. Well, there is absolutely nothing special about these tactics, heck I have seen paintball teams do some of this stuff.

When I said US Marine Delta Force, I made an honest mistake, some reason I mixed the US Marine Delta Company, and Force Recon in the same category. It is correct that the "true" Delta Force is US Army.

Anyway... the reality of this all is what I have said already... There is no difference between American SF and the SAS. They are both human beings, they are both trained to kill every enemy on Earth, and they all use the same type of tactics. Except, one of them likes to use high tech tools to gain the upper hand, also, they like to be more prepared.

Just because you are brainwashed to think the SAS are the best of the best, doesnt mean its true.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I like to show you a video of the SWAT team making entry and it makes you want to shake your head.

What part of "training" do you not understand? The video with the SAS was a staged demonstration, meaning they could have displayed whatever image they wanted. The video of SWAT that you show is actual training of NON-LETHAL apprehension of a civilian. There is a huge difference, in tactics when you don't want to kill the suspect.

Watch the SAS video, they are killing without hesitation. SWAT is a bunch of police that are there to arrest the suspect, and they are only armed in case the suspect tried to shoot back. "Innocent until proven guilty", they do not want to kill, they want to arrest. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

<<   2  3 >>

join