It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy SEAL died sacrificing his life to save others.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

CORONADO, Calif. - A Navy SEAL sacrificed his life to save his comrades by throwing himself on top of a grenade Iraqi insurgents tossed into their sniper hideout, fellow members of the elite force said.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael A. Monsoor had been near the only door to the rooftop structure Sept. 29 when the grenade hit him in the chest and bounced to the floor, said four SEALs who spoke to The Associated Press this week on condition of anonymity because their work requires their identities to remain secret.

"He never took his eye off the grenade, his only movement was down toward it," said a 28-year-old lieutenant who sustained shrapnel wounds to both legs that day. "He undoubtedly saved mine and the other SEALs' lives, and we owe him."

Monsoor, a 25-year-old gunner, was killed in the explosion in Ramadi, west of Baghdad. He was only the second SEAL to die in Iraq since the war began.

Two SEALs next to Monsoor were injured; another who was 10 to 15 feet from the blast was unhurt. The four had been working with Iraqi soldiers providing sniper security while U.S. and Iraqi forces conducted missions in the area.

In an interview at the SEALs' West Coast headquarters in Coronado, four members of the special force remembered "Mikey" as a loyal friend and a quiet, dedicated professional.

There are about 2,300 of the elite fighters, based in Coronado and Little Creek, Va.

The Navy is trying to boost that number by 500 — a challenge considering more than 75 percent of candidates drop out of training, notorious for "Hell Week," a five-day stint of continual drills by the ocean broken by only four hours sleep total. Monsoor made it through training on his second attempt.

Kudos to him and to the SEALs. Condolences to his family.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
even so im against your country in invading soverign countries and so forth,
it takes someone with alot gut and heart to take it for their comrades like that

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
it takes someone with alot gut and heart to take it for their comrades like that

Thats okay, got nothing against that.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
A consummate Hero! They had better be putting in the paperwork for his Medal of Honor. This is the kind of person that I admire. Politician's, star's, wealthy: garbage; compared with this guy! His family deserve's the undying respect of this nation for producing a warrior/hero of his stature.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother;"

Medal of honor for this great man, God bless him. I have one of my brother-in-law's bronze stars framed by my back door, and next to it is a sign that says "Go forth with honor, deserve the sacrifice that is made for you" to remind my children everyday as they leave our house. This man and others like him are the reason that sign is there.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   
My condolences..
The ultimate sacrifice to SAVE lives is always awe inspiring..

JAK

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I just this second read this story and was wondering if it was posted on ATS.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Jak

[edit on 14/10/06 by JAK]

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Gotta agree...that's Medal of Honor material right there.

Honor the fallen.

DE

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Deus beat me to it, but its got to be said again.

That man, there and then, earned with his life the continuation of the lives of all others in his team.. that was way way above and beyond the call, and he did it even with out flinching and without a scond thought to his own sacrifice...

If this isn't a Medal of Honour recipient in the making, no one ever should get another MoH.

R.I.P to a truely brave and selfess SEAL, a truly courageous story.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I'm sorry but isn't you country one of those invading soverign countries and so forth.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinstopshere
I'm sorry but isn't you country one of those invading soverign countries and so forth.

Is this really the place?

I believe that it is perfectly possible for one to be against the war, and still support the troops. How does it follow that if a person is against the actions of the US, that they cannot be against the actions of their own country also?

This was a truly remarkable act of bravery on this soldiers behalf. Ever since wars have been fought, there have been those willing to lay their lives on the line for others, this is a stark reminder of that fact. I agree, such an act of bravery should not go without recognition. He laid down his life to save the lives of those around him. There is no sacrifice more noble.

May he rest in peace.

[edit on 14/10/06 by Implosion]

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I could make an entirely different thread on just this, but one of my personal hopes is that when American troops leave Iraq someday, the day that the last soldiers return, that the U.S. hold a non-profit concert to celebrate the lives of those who served in Iraq, those who survived, and those who didn't.

Parades and concerts should not just be reserved for wars that are won. Whether we win or lose, sacrifices are made and we should celebrate their lives regardless.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
I could make an entirely different thread on just this, but one of my personal hopes is that when American troops leave Iraq someday, the day that the last soldiers return, that the U.S. hold a non-profit concert to celebrate the lives of those who served in Iraq, those who survived, and those who didn't.

Parades and concerts should not just be reserved for wars that are won. Whether we win or lose, sacrifices are made and we should celebrate their lives regardless.

not to be rude or anything but arent vets usualy forgotton about when they get back?
thats what i have read and seen in some documentries

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   

[
not to be rude or anything but arent vets usualy forgotton about when they get back?
thats what i have read and seen in some documentries

Vets are not forgotten if you don't forget them. I teach my children to always approach anyone who identifies him/herself as a vet (usually they have a hat or pin on) extend their hand and say "Thank you for your service." My 4 year old son did this to a Korean vet and the man cried. I'd like it to be so common place that a man like him wouldn't cry, because he'd be used to it. It costs nothing to approach someone in the grocery store, airport, or on the side walk and say thank you. When you see a vet selling poppies stop a moment and ask where they served, and with what unit-make the effort!

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I served during the first Gulf War, Oh that's right, it's still going on. A surrender was reneged on.

Anyways, I have always felt appreciated for my service. Up until recently, that is. Nowadays I feel alot of self hatred on our countrys part. They're still careful not to direct it at service people directly, but attack our elected leaders and national policies. Which cuts to the core of national pride. After all, the head of our armed forces is a civilian. A veteran in this case, but ELECTED.

OOPS, Here they come, talking about diebold machines..........I'm outta here-----------------

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
My condolences..
The ultimate sacrifice to SAVE lives is always awe inspiring..

Nothing more to say, except my prayers to the mans family.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Fallen, but not forgotten. If only all people had that courage and honor...

[edit on 14-10-2006 by jaguarmike]

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 01:13 AM
link   
It is overwealming thinking it out, a young man, wanting to be home with his family.. is sitting in a hot dusty sandbag filled position. a quick grenade comes in, and his character immediately knew its course, without having time to think about it.

The sacrificing of a soul, in the defence of your leaders arrogance.

This man had the heart to sacrifice himself for his own men, imagine what he could of done if he was home building his life, his career and his family.

he's the TRUE american hero, the one you seem to of lost.

[edit on 15-10-2006 by Agit8dChop]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join