It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air America Goes Bankrupt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Air America, the liberal talk radio station, has filed Chapter 11. The channel will stay on the air while it negotiates payment arrangements with its creditors.

finance.comcast.net
The network had denied rumors just a month ago that it would file for bankruptcy, but on Friday Air America said negotiations with a creditor from the company's early days had broken down.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

And so the great experimental foray into liberal news and talk radio crumbles.

Maybe liberals just don't need so much affirmation, or aren't willing to listen to what they already know to be true.

Or maybe the station just provided too lucrative a deal to its star anchor, Al Franken, and couldn't support operating expenses around his contract.

One thing is for sure, conservative talk radio will be crowing over this like roosters at sunrise.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Maybe it was just a flawed premise that there was a big enough of a demand for liberal talk radio. It never really dominated any time slot in all the various markets it was in. I listened in a few times and whenever an opposing caller was on air the host seem to go out of their way to go after them. Not in a debate of opposing ideas but in a manner that tried to belittle the caller and/or their viewpoint. To me it seemed immature behaviour out of a national radio host.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by pavil
I listened in a few times and whenever an opposing caller was on air the host seem to go out of their way to go after them. Not in a debate of opposing ideas but in a manner that tried to belittle the caller and/or their viewpoint. To me it seemed immature behaviour out of a national radio host.

I don't listen to talk radio, the last time being on 9/11/2001, when I had to take a business road trip, but I don't find this surprising. Do you find it surprising?

The Comcast link is broken, which they have a tendency to do, but you can find a working link here:

Liberal Talk Radio, Air America, files for Chapter 11

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by pavil
I listened in a few times and whenever an opposing caller was on air the host seem to go out of their way to go after them. Not in a debate of opposing ideas but in a manner that tried to belittle the caller and/or their viewpoint.

It would seem that following the right wing talk radio template (with this sort of stifling behavior) isn't/wasn't the way to go. Maybe they would have had more success without it.

[edit on 10/13/06 by redmage]

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I got the idea based on what I heard from others that they basically parodied so-called conservative talk radio.

NPR is a good model for liberal radio without the callers. Maybe that would be a good tack.

Personally, I'm not into the genre, so it makes no difference to me.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Maybe it was because I was listening on SIRIUS but from what littlle I did listen to AA some hosts in particular were really foul mouthed, dropping F-bombs every fifth sentance and other swear words just cause they could, not because it added to the discussion. I did not listen enough to form more than general opinoins.

Guess the marketplace is the ultimate arbitrator if a radio network survives or not. AA tried but the demand just isn't there I guess.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 07:45 AM
link   
pavil,

I had the same experience...

They spent an inordinate amount of time going on and on in a rather "R" rated way about President Bush and presented nothing of substance.

Semper

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
One thing is for sure, conservative talk radio will be crowing over this like roosters at sunrise.

Something like a teenager celebrating they're the last one in the sandbox after everyone has grown up and moved on.

Certainly conservatives will see this as some type of "victory", having gained the superior audience in a dying medium.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   
A lame victory for the right?

What else do they have to crow about? They're desperate, and something like this will give them something juicy to spend three hours on.

Why is the USA nearly bankrupt again? Is it the liberals fault?

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Certainly conservatives will see this as some type of "victory", having gained the superior audience in a dying medium.

I don't think it is necessararily a "dying" medium. It certainly is a medium with many new competitors ie, the internet, blogs, i-pods, sattelite radio just to mention a few. If it was such a "dying" medium then why did AA try to make it work in said medium? They surely saw it as a way to succeed and make a profit.

As to your first comment about it being a victory. It is hard not to look at the failure of your competitor, who peddles basically the same product as nothing more than a vindication of your operation and yes.... a victory.

I suppose if AA was a success, that they wouldn't be doing the same, would they?

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Not suprising...The Democratic Party was created to be a floundering bumbling entity from the start. They're merely an illusion of hope for liberals. Air America is simply another reflection of how they're not supposed to be solvent and viable. It's just not allowed.!...It was staffed by a bunch of 'gatekeepers' anyway. Jeanine Garafalo was the only well intended soul they had on air. Franken, Rhodes and Springer????....Would you have advertized with those personalities on deck?

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I don't think it's a dying medium either -- new innovations such as satellite radio, podcasts, etc. are just evolutionary. A certain amount of the population is going to want to listen to more or less political talk radio in the car or workplace, etc. where watching video isn't a real option whether it by AM, FM, satelitte, their iPod or whatever.

As far as Air America dying, they were just going after the far left, a pretty small market in the U.S. Moderatey left Americans are probably already served well by the MSM.

[edit on 10/14/2006 by djohnsto77]

top topics

join