It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i love ATS but stop with the "abovetopsecret visitor survey"...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
Edn

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

Originally posted by Edn
You could always have a member thingy ($5-$10 a month) to have the ads removed, mabye a few extra features etc. always worked to bring in money to keep the server afloat.

As the Admin point out, everytime this question is raised, the majority of people who visit ATS are not members. So charging the members of ATS would do nothing.

And what difference does that make to my point? none. The point was that you could make more money from registered members by giving them the option to see no ads on the site. $5 a month would be $5 more than the $0 that ATS is currently getting from me, i've never seen anything interesting enough yet to click one of the ads and im sure a lot of registered members are the same but im also sure quite a few people wouldn't mind spending a little money to get rid of them.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
You would be surprised how many times this issue is brought up. It's discussed atleast three or four times a month extensively, and that is only in the past 13 months I have been with ATS.

Rather than debate this issue, since this thread has nothing to do with it. I will direct you to a post by Simon just the other day.

originally posted by SimonGray
The costs of keeping ATS running are astronomical I can assure you. Like I always say, have a look at a post where S.O. has mentioned the ass-kicking hardware we need to keep this place up and running and then compare it to webhosting sites to get an indication of the costs. We're pushing five figures here people!

A few bucks from people isn't going to help, we need the ad banners. Considering the majority of our visitors are guests, it is a perfect model. Paid subscriptions would never work, and as a site dedicated to free discussion, only a very small percentage would probably pay to visit.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Back to the topic.

[edit on 13-10-2006 by chissler]

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
We've done our best to make sure the instant you've answered the questions the survey disappears from your life forever, it's not a "pop up" it's the first page of the domain so a pop up blocker shouldn't be affected by it at all. We HATE pop ups and don't allow them on ATS for Registered Members and wouldn't use one period.

In any case, help us out and share your thoughts, it really is not that big of a pain is it?

Springer...

Odd, I closed it the first time it came up thinking it would come back later and I would deal with it then. In my case I never saw it again.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
And what difference does that make to my point? none. The point was that you could make more money from registered members by giving them the option to see no ads on the site. $5 a month would be $5 more than the $0 that ATS is currently getting from me, i've never seen anything interesting enough yet to click one of the ads and im sure a lot of registered members are the same but im also sure quite a few people wouldn't mind spending a little money to get rid of them.

Edn, simply put, unless we can get EVERY SINGLE MEMBER who has visited in the last week to donate $5 a month EVERY month, we wouldn't be any better off than we are offering ATS as a FREE website.

Our guests to members has a ratio of approximately 20:1 at any approximate period. Paid subscriptions will never happen. It wouldn't work either. Not to mention we wouldn't want to have such a system in place limiting who can post and who can't based on money, and not a free simple 30 second registration.

This topic has been discussed enough. I recommend you search out the previous plethora of admin rants about this.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join