It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i love ATS but stop with the "abovetopsecret visitor survey"...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
yes, i took the survey (so i'm not "hating" on this)...

but:

my google toolbar is going crazy blocking that pesky survey pop up...

okay, so its not really going crazy but its blocking that pop up at least once with every refresh of any page on ATS...

is there a way to turn it off for the people that already voted (probably not)???

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
If you took the survey, there should be no pop up.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Hmmm ... I "voted", and after that no more "pop-up".

Done.

Perhaps your "blocker" refused acceptance of the necessary cookie/acknowledgement.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   
ever sense i started this thread (like two minutes ago), i haven't had that pop up

conspiracy

you decide...

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Yup, I too smell something conspiracy-ish.

No probs with pop-ups, either. Firefox and its extras are awesome.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
But had you taken the survey?

It popped up once for myself, I submitted answers and it moved on.

Edn

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Is that what those blocked popups are? I figured they were popup ads to compliment the crap loads of adds already on the page

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Members should be aware that:

4b) Ad Blockers: As AboveTopSecret.com is provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options while using the website(s).

If you take a moment to fill out the survey, the pop up goes away. It took me no more than 30 seconds to answer the questions.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
And a little disheartening too... S.O. and I spend an average of 6 or 7 hours a day making sure ATS is, well, ATS. Is it really too much for us to ask for one minute of your time and a little data in return?

This data is key to an upcoming project that is going to help us keep ATS alive and well and growing on many fronts. We will be needing more of it too. There will be a few follow up surveys coming over the next couple weeks.

We've done our best to make sure the instant you've answered the questions the survey disappears from your life forever, it's not a "pop up" it's the first page of the domain so a pop up blocker shouldn't be affected by it at all. We HATE pop ups and don't allow them on ATS for Registered Members and wouldn't use one period.

In any case, help us out and share your thoughts, it really is not that big of a pain is it?

Springer...

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I think the survey makes good sense and could be developed over time to do some real good in the planning department. How else can one know the expectations and changing landscape of the data-space? I don't get the dis-pleasure at this tool of benefit. It can't help but serve to improve the community in a positive way and it doesn't really pin one down ID-wise or anything sinister. The very fact that "it goes away" is a tribute to thoughfulness and consideration of potential increased and enhanced member involvement... there are other sites but I'm "sticky" for ATS.

Victor K.

41'

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Much ado about nothing IMO.

I took the survey the first time it popped up, and it never came up again.

Hardly a big deal.

Edn, I assume you're either being sarcastic or you're viewing another site and thinking it's ATS because there's hardly a "crapload of ads" here.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Some will complain no mater what, It is what it is.

What is worse than the complaint, that the person has been here long enough to know to use the complaint form.

[edit on 13-10-2006 by SpittinCobra]

Edn

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Edn, I assume you're either being sarcastic or you're viewing another site and thinking it's ATS because there's hardly a "crapload of ads" here.

Well this is the only site I visit that has more than two sets of ads. I tend to think 2> ads is overdoing it simply because it degrades the look of the site and deters people instead of attracting them (not so much on big sites but it still has an effect). Most people tend to assume that a blocked popup is an ad coupled with the fact that theres 3 fairly big ads stuck on the page I wouldn't have thought it was anything other than an ad unless otherwise told (which is was and I've now taken the survey
).

(I'm probably going a little off topic?) I realize the importance of them don't get me wrong a site need to generate money to stay alive so the ads don't tend to bother me but if i get a popup i'm never in a hurry to find out what it is. You could always have a member thingy ($5-$10 a month) to have the ads removed, mabye a few extra features etc. always worked to bring in money to keep the server afloat.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
And a little disheartening too... S.O. and I spend an average of 6 or 7 hours a day making sure ATS is, well, ATS. Is it really too much for us to ask for one minute of your time and a little data in return?

i hope you are not looking towards me:

yes, i took the survey (so i'm not "hating" on this)...

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
What is worse than the complaint, that the person has been here long enough to know to use the complaint form.

if this was indirectly directed at me:

sometimes it is way better to make a "complaint" (which i wasn't even doing) public and then have some people agree with the opinion...

but i am done with this thread because the problem is gone as (stated before)

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Well I have pop-ups allowed here and this survey is the very first pop-up I've had and it wasn't an ad but a communication from the Administration. Also with pop-ups blocked I take it then that these people can not vote on ATSNN articles, nor can they vote for wayabove or use the ATS Chatrooms?

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
You could always have a member thingy ($5-$10 a month) to have the ads removed, mabye a few extra features etc. always worked to bring in money to keep the server afloat.

As the Admin point out, everytime this question is raised, the majority of people who visit ATS are not members. So charging the members of ATS would do nothing.

The only problem I would have, is if the Admin ever resorted to popups on registered members.

We HATE pop ups and don't allow them on ATS for Registered Members and wouldn't use one period.

The Admin have made it clear that popups are not in our future.

I believe TSA is taking alittle too much heat for this, but I believe if the survey was filled out in the first place than this problem would of been rectified long before a problem was created.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I believe TSA is taking alittle too much heat for this, but I believe if the survey was filled out in the first place than this problem would of been rectified long before a problem was created.

exactly...

for a couple of days, i was ignoring the "warning" from my google toolbar about how a pop up was blocked...

i didn't even know there was a survey going on...

anyway, i took the survey and ever since i started this thread the pop up has been gone...

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

for a couple of days, i was ignoring the "warning" from my google toolbar about how a pop up was blocked...

It was not even there for a couple of days.

Didn't you say your where done in this thread?

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
It was not even there for a couple of days.

Didn't you say your where done in this thread?

really

see i would have no idea about how long it was there because i have a pop up blocker

and, yes, i am done with this thread friend

i will give you the honor of locking her up

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   

S.O. and I spend an average of 6 or 7 hours a day making sure ATS is, well, ATS.

Springer...

We appreciate every minute you guys put in.

I know I'd much rather take up smoking and then try to quit, rather than to give up ATS.

TSA, this is not directed at you at all because I can understand what happened with this situation.

But I would love to see members understand the effort the Amigos and other staff members put in to keep this ship afloat. I'm confused how you guys don't step into a thread someday and say,

"You know what god damnit, DEAL WITH IT!"

You guys are better than me, thats for sure. Each time these issues arise, a moment is taken to explain why things are the way they are.

My hats off to you fine folks!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join