It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's Delivery: Brilliant!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I don't know how widespread this is, but in New York we now have McDonald's by delivery pretty much everywhere. I know a lot of people (especally in Europe) tend to scoff at McDonald's, but when presented with its food, usually scarf it up quick!

Anyway, it's nice to have tha option IMHO.

[edit on 10/12/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   
McDonalds' did their early testing for the delivery service right here in Southwest Ontario, most notably London (where I live) and Guelph. We've had a bunch of different McDonald's products tested in this region. Did you ever try McPizza? We had it for a while. It lasted about a year but there was no real way that McDonalds' pizza could compete against established names in the Pizza field. Oh yeah, we also had McRib about two years before I ever saw it in the states. Incidentally, it didn't do very well but I supposethey decided to tryit in the States anyway. As for delivery, At first, it was quite successful. But, of course, it could have been the novelty of getting your Big Mac delivered right to your front door or, if at work, right to your desk. The biggest problems that I had heard about with the testing was to be able to deliver the food while it was still hot.

They no longer do delivery of McDonalds' here in SW Ontario (a few well-positioned locations, however, might still offer this service).

I can see McDonalds' delivery working quite well in a location like Manhattan. With the dense population and shorter travel distances, the delivery service should be quite successful. But one has to wonder whether McDonalds' has reached the satruation point. That is, McDonalds', like most business', need to continue to grow and increase their market share. How much more can McDonalds' grow? Can they really increase their market share any more than it is now?

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I've never had or even heard of McPizza but I've had McRib on and off for years, I like it, I wish they'd keep it on their menu rather than just having it as a promotional item once in a while.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I went searching for McPizza on "google". Amazingly, there is really very little about McPizza. Oh, there are comments on blogs and forums but, again, very little else. I did, however find an article about Pizza Hut gearing up to compete against McPizza.

Like I said, the McPizza was a test for McDonalds, from what I gleaned on google, SouthWest Ontario Canada was one test market for McPizza. There was one other test market that I discovered and that was in Salt lake City, Utah.

Interestingly enough, however, while searching for McPizza, I found a number of menu items that are regional. Often these regions are quite small. For instance, the McBrat is a sausage that is sold in Wisconson and Western Michigan.
Here is a link to the McDonalds' Menu; US, regional, international and special items

Frankly, I was amazed at the variety of the McDonalds menu world-wide. I wish we could have a taste at all of the different meals that they, potentially, have to offer us.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   
My maternal-ancestry has me holdin' out for McLasagna - hold the spinach for now thanks. I can get Lasagna delivered in Toronto... just not good lasagna.

I can get just about anything delivered food-wise but so much of it is a pale substitue for home-cookin'. Sooner or later someone will get it right.

There was a Robert Sawyer (futurist writer) novel that used Canadian (Toronto) food delivery as an integral part of the murder plot - he called it FoodFood... and based it on an extrapolation of PizzaPizza. Used TO and Concord Ontario for a backdrop... I think it was called Mindscan (foreshadowing BrainGate and Honda)- Canuck Sci-Fi fans will find it "Gibson-esque" and hard to put down - I read it in one sitting.

Now if MickeyD's could get meat other than "gray" delivered I'd be a big fan - even without a murder plot! No wait that'd be science fiction...LOL!

Victor K.

41'

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Read in an article yesterday that McDonalds is doing a complete overhaul to their interior.

Going to add sofas and armchairs, plasma televisions, and more wood rather than plastic.

The only link I could find was this:

blog.tmcnet.com... treme-mcmakeover-stupidity.asp

The author of the site is alittle biased, but the information is there.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
The first time I had a Mcdonalds Pizza was 13 years ago in Calgary, Alberta. At that time they sold huge, family-sized pizza's and let me tell you, they were damn tasty!
Upon returning to Southern Ontario, the pizza was then only availible on the Kids menu for about three years. After that it was still availible, but not listed as a menu item. It used to take about 10-15 minutes, but it'd be cooked up fresh. I loved them, I ate them every time I ate at McDonalds for about 4-5 years. Needless to say, i was disappointed when they stopped making them.

[edit on 13-10-2006 by parrhesia]

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
We had McPizza here (St. John's, NL) about 12 years ago....I absolutely loved the crust!!! But I have to say the only place I've ever heard of McDonalds delivery was during a summer I spent in London Ontario in the early 90's...it was pretty cool.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I have no McDonalds delivery where I live.

We had McPizza in the town where I grew up and they were great! Just like a personal pizza from Pizza Hut. I think they were available all across Canada.

The McDonalds down the street has already finished their renovations, and let me tell you, it looks really nice. There'a a natural gas fireplace in the middle of the restaurant. Comfy seats and corner booths. The only thing I don't like are the new menus - I have a bit of a hard time figuring out where everything is and it doesn't say smiles are free anymore.

The childrens play area wasn't eliminated (like it says in the article), it's right where it always was.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   
There used to be a service by where I live that you'd call, place an order for any fast food place, and they'd get it and deliver it to you.

But thats been gone for a while I think. This is an intersting development.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Yep you can get it delivered in Thailand. It's not very popular in South Korea, they are have there own version called Lotteria, which has the 'rice burger'. No McDonalds in Vietnam but they have one KFC in Saigon. They don't deliver here in Costa Rica, which is probably a good thing.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Read in an article yesterday that McDonalds is doing a complete overhaul to their interior.

Going to add sofas and armchairs, plasma televisions, and more wood rather than plastic.

We have these in Sydney, Australia.

McCafes.

Have been around for about 3-4 years now.

As for delivery, they tried it about 7 years ago in Sydney but it sucked. The burgers were sloppier than usual so they stopped.

But yeah, McCafes rule.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 03:41 AM
link   
We've got McDonalds delivery in most urban regions of Malaysia, too. And the phone number is easy to remember and the same nationwide -- 1300-13-1300

Anyway, concerning the OP's point about people not liking McD but gobbling it up quickly... I'm one of them. Let me tell you it's not the food that I don't like, but the satisfaction level (also linked to price).

I pay 10 ringgit (that's about $3) and get a McChicken, a large fries, large coke. I gobble it up and still don't feel full. I get a cheese burger ala carte for 4 ringgit. I spend a total of 14 ringgit (mind you, minimum wage is 3.50 ringgit an hour) and come off slightly dissatisfied.

I pay the same 14 ringgit and wait slightly less than 10 minutes at a Ramly Burger stall and get 5 Double Burger Special with Cheese. That's two patties, each sliced in half along the edge with cheese inserted in the middle, the whole thing wrapped with an egg omelette, set in a sesame seed bun with lots and lots of lettuce, tomatoes, sauce, you name it. One of those things, at a third the price of a "McValue" meal seriously satisfies. Come to think of it, one of those burgers cost less than a US dollar. Come visit Malaysia to eat good tasting Dollar burgers

Ramly is the local burger patties producer, patties so good Singaporeans smuggle that stuff into their country. They finance anyone who wishes to open a burger stand with the cash, equipment and know how. They could be bigger if they changed their business model, I'm sure.

But most of these Ramly stalls don't have a delivery service. Luckily they're usually to be found in front of a 7-eleven, and there are plenty of those everywhere. Stalls usually close at 2 am. Different stalls have different off days.

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unrealised

Originally posted by chissler

We have these in Sydney, Australia.

McCafes.

Have been around for about 3-4 years now.

As for delivery, they tried it about 7 years ago in Sydney but it sucked. The burgers were sloppier than usual so they stopped.

But yeah, McCafes rule.

Yeah, they look quite nice. But really, the reason they've done that is so McDonald's looks more like an eat in cafe (restaurant) rather than a fast food outlet. Good marketing tool for sure.

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Thank God McDonalds delivers now. Now I don't have to walk the 4 blocks to the closest one. Or the five blocks in the other direction. They really know how to prevent people form moving to eat crap. I suppose it had to be me who started to throw stones, but c'mon, if this isn't the spot to rag on evil corperations what is.

My bus stop is right in front of a McDonalds. As I went to work one day I saw an ambulance in front wheeling out a big ol' woman with a breathing mask and some guys monitoring her heartrate. If I had a camera I think I could have gotten the Pulitzer, if it weren't actually such a common sight.

It's total poison, and if you're getting delivery anyway, I'm sure there's a spot that will deliver something better than MDs

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
No McDonalds delivery in Oregon, and I have never heard of a McPizza.
This seems really bizarre, the thought of McDonalds doing delivery.

How do they keep the food hot without making it soggy from the humidity of a warmer?

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
There was mcdonalds delivery where i live a long time ago and it flopped huge. i really don't know why.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
It is probably the cost. The main reason why people eat at McDonald's is because it is very cheap. Delivery adds costs, which make McDonald's less cheap. Delivery may work in Manhattan because everything there is expensive and the density, but it will not work in many other places in North America. It costs about 35 cents to drive an automobile for 1 mile, which the consumer will have to absorb one way or another. If you order a Burger and fries, and the driver has to drive 4 miles round trip to see you, your meal is $1.40 more. Add in a modest $1 tip, and your meal is $2.40 more. This $2.40 makes a difference for many of McDonald's customers.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I grew up in Southern California where we have many great Burger chains like Tommy's and In-n-out. It just seems odd that of all the chains, McDonald's was the one that became an International superpower.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
They do McDonald's delivery in Egypt, even though I don't even eat Mcdonald's.

top topics

join