It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NK: threatens NYC, D.C.?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   

WASHINGTON – As reports circulated of a second imminent nuclear test, a high-ranking North Korean official who is called the unofficial spokesman for Kim Jong-il issued a not-so-veiled threat to the United States today in an interview with South Korean radio.

"Everything will be settled in a week," said Kim Myong-chol on KBS Radio. "That is, whether we, Korean people, will remain as we are now, or lose, or New York will lose, or Washington, D.C., will lose, it will all be settled once and for all."

The report was carried in Chosun Ilbo, a Korean-language newspaper in the south.

The South Korean government is trying to verify intelligence that North Korea is to conduct another nuclear test soon – possibly in the next two or three days.

Quoting a reliable source on North Korea, the report said: "Many indications from North Korea point to the high likelihood that North Korea would conduct another nuclear test in two or three days. We received intelligence Oct. 11 that says the North Korean military is showing unusual movements."

www.worldnetdaily.com...

Mod edit: Added EX tags and question mark in title. NOTE: Do not copy paste from other sites without the EX tags... and give some of your own COMMENTARY OR ANALYSIS OF THE STORY. Normally posts like this go to the trash bin (just so you know), but since you are a new member I'll let it stand.

[edit on 10/12/2006 by Gools]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
WHAT????

What does that mean exactly? It will be settled in a week. Boy Bush better get his act together and find out what their intentions really are.
Does NK even has the capability to reach NY or DC with a nuke?

Lil' Kim is a sick man.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   

...or New York will lose, or Washington, D.C., will lose,...

That does not mean that NK has threatened to nuke NY and DC.

"New York will lose" could be simply referring to Wall Street or the monnied interests and DC to the Bush Administration. NK can't even reproduceably test fire a rocket.

edit: also consider the source... World Nut Daily

[edit on 10/12/2006 by Gools]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
worldnetdaily.com

i would take everything they say with a pinch of salt

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Bluff bluff bluff. The only way they could ``win`` against US, is by launching nukes high in the sky over the US that would neutralise EVERYTHING electronic in a vast area, that would cost billions of billions of $$ to replace. And this would kill nobody. So it would be stupid for the US to nuke all NK and kill everything there, when no US citizen have been killed... Also, nuking NK would piss off China, South Korea, Russia and Japan because of the radiation...

Also, it would probably trigger a nuclear war because if China and Russia see dozens of ICBM heading their way, they won't like it.

[edit on 12-10-2006 by Vitchilo]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Oh they aren't a reliable source? Didn't know that, never heard of them. Should have been my first indication.
Ok I feel a little better now

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Worldnetdaily is sort of like the "Weekly World News" of international events. You know, the rag-mags that feature 800-lb newborns and bigfoot's children on the front cover.

If this statement is true, though, NK is playing with fire in ways they haven't fully considered.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I would postulate that what you're hearing is the reaction of someone who lives in a totalitarian regime.

This is a person who has been allowed to utter an opinion, to express an emotion. Misdirected though because Pyongyang is channeling years and years of discontent and hardship in N.K. (i.e. a 1990's famine that killed over 1 million people) against the U.S.

It's textbook Orwellian. Read 1984 for a good indication on how NK acts and governs.

They still believe they're at war with South Korea. Just on hiatus from violence. That concept of perpetual warfare is a psychological mechanism to keep the population's discontent in check and directed at an external foe.....hey wait...that sounds awfully like the War on Terror.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
OP here. Sorry. Here is a source from the Korea Times:

times.hankooki.com...

Also, to add commentary, I do believe that something serious will happen since N. Korea does follow through on it's tough talk. They will be able to shoot something at Japan, even if it's a convential rocket.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Just because WND has such a bad reputation here, it is better to look for other sources of anything they report. It just saves your having to wade through a page or two of posts that do nothing but deride WND.

If you're interested in stories about North Korea's threats, look here.

Google Search

[edit on 2006/10/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I have two additional thoughts here to ponder.

1) For the first time in 4 years, the 'Doomsday Clock' may shift closer to midnight. The panel that votes on this do not do so lightly. So that is an indication of how serious events have become.

'Doomsday Clock' May Shift For 1st Time In 4 Years

2) In the same article it mentions that Japan had an earthque of magnitude 6.0 and that the Japanese government fears it was the result of another North Korean nuclear test. Which leads to the notion... could N. Korea simply detonate a nuclear bomb in the ocean and create a tsunami to attack Japan and cause an earthquake. It would be a double whammy.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by rumors
times.hankooki.com...

That's pretty good backup. WorldNetDaily got it right this time. N.Korea just wants war with someone. Seriously ... it's absolutely crazy.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by behindthescenes
I would postulate that what you're hearing is the reaction of someone who lives in a totalitarian regime.

They still believe they're at war with South Korea. Just on hiatus from violence. That concept of perpetual warfare is a psychological mechanism to keep the population's discontent in check and directed at an external foe.....hey wait...that sounds awfully like the War on Terror.

They still are at war with SK! There was a cease fire never an end to the war, the DMZ isn't there for show, it's there because they are still at war! If one side or the other had been victorious, then the winner would have all of the Korean peninula not half of it!

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   
North Korea has no ability to hit the U.S. east coast, and only an iffy ability to hit Hawaii, Alaska, or California. If I had to put money down now, I'd say NK can't reliably reach U.S. soil at all anywhere.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
If by some mircle "little Kimmy" was to get a missle to the US, muchless a nuclear tipped one, and explode it, it would be the end of NK as we know it now.

All it takes is 1 ICBM wityh about 20 warheads to distroy ALL military bases/planes/ships and the 5 largest cites.

If that is not enough for the job, we have about 1500 more to get it done right.

Lets all be very clear on this point, if NK nukes the US or it's allies, there is nothing that China/Russia or anyone in the world will be able to do to save NK, period.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
First of all, Kim mentioned New York and Japan. And he did not say they would use missiles or nukes. They could very easily have passed bilogical or chemical agents to third parties to deply in the states.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
More and more evidence is building that the nuke tests were unsuccessful. This failure falls closely on the heels of NK's missle test failures. Personally, I'm more concerned that the tests failed than if they had been successful. Little Kim is a megalomaniac. He is obsessed with image. Rather than gain the respect/fear of the world's nations he has publicly soiled himself --- twice. I'm concerned how he will act out to save face.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Nearly all successes are preceded by failure. Even in failure there is learning. There is still plenty of reason for concern.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Given the date of this article and how close it comes to China building the fence.

There just might be something here. I would not put it past this crazy man. Heres my article about chinas fence building against the NK border.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The easiest way to get their nuke into a US city is to put it on a disguised or third party ship. Or, get a ship close enough to fire a Medium range missile. Which we know they have successfuly test fired many times.

We need to take these threats seriously.

top topics

join