It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China refuses to punish North Korea.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

BEIJING - China appeared to shy away Thursday from backing U.S. efforts to impose a travel ban and financial sanctions on North Korea for its claimed nuclear test, saying any U.N. action should focus on bringing its communist neighbor back to talks.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao said North Korea should understand it had made a mistake but "punishment should not be the purpose" of any U.N. response.

U.N. action "should be conducive to the de-nuclearization of the Korean peninsula ... and the resumption of the talks," he told reporters. "It's necessary to express clearly to North Korea that ... the international community is opposed to this nuclear test."

So much for China's threat to punish the naughty North Koreans. It looks like peaceful solution is off of the table now since there is no point.

[edit on 12-10-2006 by deltaboy]Link

[edit on 12-10-2006 by deltaboy]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I think we all ought to boycott Walmart if China refuses to really do anything.
China is dependent on us for alot of their economy. I hate buying cheap made chinese stuff anyway.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Deltaboy,

Just to add a little tidbit to your post

China has called military action "unimaginable".
source:
reuters

If the US invades NK, you could 100% bet that china will not be on our side.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
US said that the North Korea explosion was not yet confirmed to be a nuclear test,so it is a bit early to apply sanction now,i think.

North Korea is already an isloated country,to be sure,sanctions will have less impact on North Korea now.The NK regime will not fall itself,only its people suffer from sanctions.

US must convince its south ally if she wants to impose meaningful sanctions on NK.It seems like South Korea will not stop economic cooperations with her north brother.

www.atimes.com...
Time plays into Pyongyang's hands
By Donald Kirk

SEOUL - North Korea's reported nuclear test sent shockwaves through Asia, nowhere more than in South Korea in a society brainwashed over the past eight years to believe in the benefits of a Sunshine Policy toward the North. Just be nice, provide food and aid, South Korea's leaders were accustomed to saying, and North Korea's dictator Kim Jong-il would turn out not to have been such a bad guy after all.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Of course....Why would China want to help calm a situation it does not want to calm down.

We should help Tiawan get nukes and see how China reacts then. But that would be bad like North Korea getting Nukes.......

China only cares about Tiawan.......Maybe they should get out of occupying Tibet while there at it.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Sbob,

Couldnt agree with you more.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by elaine
I think we all ought to boycott Walmart if China refuses to really do anything.
China is dependent on us for alot of their economy. I hate buying cheap made chinese stuff anyway.

Great idea. Do you think most people will do it though? Something tells me not.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Imagining the mass flood of refugee from NK trying to across the boarder to china if there is a war, it will be unimaginable!

plz read this thread first: china is building a fence
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 10/12/2006 by warset]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   
China not helping?Why dosent that surprise me.I think China will take the sideline approach.Maybe letting Taiwan get there hands on some nukes will bring China around to our way of thinking,then again maybe not.Either way it amazes me how Lil Kim can have so many people huddled in a corner,scared to do anything.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by warset
Imagining the mass flood of refugee from NK trying to across the boarder to china if there is a war, it will be unimaginable!I can imagine it.China would be up 2 its neck in commie brothers it neither wants 2 shelter or feed.Even tho their coddling of lil kim caused this situation.Military response"unimagiable"?Really?

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Russia, China oppose N. Korea sanctions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1Source

NITED NATIONS - Russia and China on Thursday opposed tough sanctions the U.S. wants to impose against
North Korea this week for its claimed nuclear test, saying they want more time to work out a more moderate response to Pyongyang's nuclear brinkmanship

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I wish I could say this surprises me, but iot does not.
I knew the neither China or Russia would do anything about it.

The fact is I bet they both love the fact it is giving the US and it's allies a fit.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I'm seeing this as being yet another out of context statment being used to distract from the real issue.

Talks are, infact, the best way out. Even if Kim just wants to stall for time or garner attention, talking opens up routes for peaceful resolution.

China want's the US to enter direct negotiations before it backs any further sanctions that are more likely to hurt the people of North Korea than the adminsitration of North Korea.

Seems to me that is a reasonable stance and it's the US that is being illogicly obstanent over the issue.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I personally think that China is behind this.....

North Korea is what.... 97% chinese..

China pulls the strings............

PEADY-.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
97% chinese? that's the biggest BS ever, if you say Vancouver is 97% chinese, i'll say that might happen in 100 years or so, but NK 97% chinese? WTF? probably not before the year 3000.

noticed why both russia and china don't want to put enough measures on NK, they are afraid of the massive refugees rushing into their countries like it did in the 1950's. and if they go against NK, meaning that they can potentially become NK's targets as well just like SK and japan. So they'd rather see things done in a calmed way, and stay away from trouble.

ppl have to think about their positions too before throwing out mindless comments.

If this is CUBA instead of NK is making nukes, the US will probably try to calm things down too (like when the Cuba Nuclear Crisis during cold war) instead of putting tough sanctions

We should help Tiawan get nukes and see how China reacts then. But that would be bad like North Korea getting Nukes.......

China only cares about Tiawan.......Maybe they should get out of occupying Tibet while there at it

this is one of the stupiest comments, this is pretty much like saying that everyone should have nukes, including the middle east countries, south america countries, and cuba, and see how the US would react --- it's absolutly moronic

Also, saying chinese should leave tibet is equivalent of saying europeans should leave the US to the Amer-Indians. Another one of the most ingorant idea out there.

[edit on 10/12/2006 by warset]

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
So much for China's threat to punish the naughty North Koreans.

China never stated they will "punish" north korea, and the "harsh" crisitism would be considered very light constructive crisitism

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Sanctions are worthless anyway.
Think about it.

you have a buffet..
I come and take away that buffet.

Then, decades later I come and take away your fork.

Its absoltley pointless putting more sanctions on them.

They have the bomb.
They have the ability to make it, and have the materials.

Sanctions are merely a stance the USA ( UN ) is going to take to try and make the world beleive that they are attempting to do something constructive in regard to resolving this issue.
If the US turned around and said bad bad bad nkorea, we are going to huff and puff and tell you to stop.

but they clearly cant do that, because it gives the world the wrong impression.

The only option here, is an option no one wants to take. Because you just cant be sure lil kim wont fly of the handle and throw the towell in.

The focus of this is going to shift dramatically shortly.

Instaed of trying to remove the nukes lil kim has develuped..
The USA Will devote its time and its energy to ensuring 'other' nations dont utilise the same loop holes kim did, and obtain nukes.

The USA is going to have to take a risk with Nkorea regardless of what action is taken.

Throw sanctions on them, risk war.
Let them gloat and carry on, you risk a bigger war.

either way, the ball is squarley in Nkorea's Court.
I think they were HOPING we'd fly of the handle, and hand him his little war on a platter..
But clearly there's no economic gain, and corproate growth in any way shape or form in the concept of militarily hitting nkorea.

But taking the stance of keeping Iran from gaining these weapons, and utilitising the recent uproar in having allowed kim to get that far.. I can see the Iranian issue really picking up steam now.

There's to much money to be made in Iran.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Sanctions are worthless anyway.
Think about it.

you have a buffet..
I come and take away that buffet.

Then, decades later I come and take away your fork.

Its absoltley pointless putting more sanctions on them.

Agreed.

Sanctions only really impact the people, not the dictatorship.
Kim and friends will simply withhold more from the people. Kim will never starve or be short on medicine, but his people will.

I wont even stop the importing of illegal weapons and technology. When you're dealing with that kind of money, scations are worked around.

North Korea now has the ability to say "Don't Eff with us" (which is why the US is so ticked). The playing field has been leveled (somewhat). Kim wants these talks so he can say "Drop the sanctions or we're going to cause some havok. You can't invade me 'cause I'll nuke ya.".

You know what I think?
Screw it. Drop the santions. Let him participate in the global ecconomy. If he's a horrible, evil dictator, it's up to his people to deside. They need to do something about him if something truely needs to be done.

Kinda exactly the same as here in North America.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Warset

97% chinese? that's the biggest BS ever, if you say Vancouver is 97% chinese, i'll say that might happen in 100 years or so, but NK 97% chinese? WTF? probably not before the year 3000.

I should have made my comment a little more clear.
I was not speaking of Chinese nationals, which North Korea has very few.
I was referring to North Koreas ancestral lineage and heritage, which is probibly 97% or more chinese.

ppl have to think about their positions too before throwing out mindless comments.

think about their positions? either for North Korea ? against them? .....mindless comments? please explain.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by PEADY

I should have made my comment a little more clear.
I was not speaking of Chinese nationals, which North Korea has very few.
I was referring to North Koreas ancestral lineage and heritage, which is probibly 97% or more chinese.

Japan also has one of the highest chinese ancestral lineage (other than china itself), their official language "Kanji" actually means "chinese characters", but this really doesn't do anything, in fact, japan is one of the china's most hated countries.

[edit on 10/13/2006 by warset]

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I really dont want to stray from the topic but,

Japan has the highest chinese ancestral lineage

Could you please provide me with a link to your statement?

(other than china itself), their official language "Kanji" actually means "chinese characters",

Funny I thought Japanese was the official language of Japan.

Actulaly there are two forms of the japanese language.Hyojungo,which is standerd japanese and kyotsugo which is common language.

Kanji is a form of chinese characters use in reading and writing used all over Asia.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join