It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cameras On Every Block In Chicago!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Security and terrorism won't be an issue if Chicago wins the right to host the 2016 Summer Olympic Games because, by that time, there'll be a surveillance camera on every corner, Mayor Daley said Wednesday.

"By the time 2016 [rolls around], we'll have more cameras than Washington, D.C. ... Our technology is more advanced than any other city in the world -- even compared to London -- dealing with our cameras and the sophistication of cameras and retro-fitting all the cameras downtown in new buildings, doing the CTA cameras," Daley said.

Chicago Mayor Demands Cameras on every block

[edit on 12-10-2006 by super70]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Yeah he at least gets to use the Olympics as an excuse instead of terrorism.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Interesting. While I don't support the War against Terrorism, I support preventing terrorism in common measures.

But a camera on every street corner would make me feel uneasy. Slowly but surely we are being watched more and more.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I read an article a while back (in Wired IIRC) that was about the chicago police dept and how advanced they are. It spoke about a network of cameras that they have installed in high crime and murder areas, known drug dealing corners etc.. and the patrol officers can access the camera feeds via their wireless laptop in the car
The article talked about how now 1 officer with a laptop can patrol a much bigger area as he can check camera feeds for the several blocks surrounding him in real time while he patrols

edit: I found the article about Chicagos spycam force which I believe consists of a 30 camera pilot network, with massive plans for expansion.

www.wired.com...

2 things I thought were really interesting are that the project is funded by seized drug money, and there are plans to add audio sensors which can listen for gunshots (and distinguish between them and similar noises, like the pop of a firecracker

[edit on 14-10-2006 by warpboost]

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
It is getting be to much. This is why I moving out of the U.S. soon, (man I will miss my country) this is just to much.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I do not like the thought either but their are americans being attacked by terrorist every day. These people are not from another country they are the Crips,Bloods,Vicelords,banditos,Outlaws and on and on. They kill rape,rob and mame more of our children than the Islamist ever have.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   
heres a tip, if you arent doing anything wrong, you wont have to worry about with any cameras anywhere.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Ya well I got a tip for you!

Read george orwells 1984 to understand the real reason they want camera's everywhere.

I will martyr myself before I let my children live in THAT world.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey
Yeah he at least gets to use the Olympics as an excuse instead of terrorism.

As such, whats Washington D.C.'s, London's, etc "excuse"?
Let me know, I am interested in hearing about these.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I do see a problem in having a ton of cameras everywhere. I also see the safety aspect of it. PLus, you wouldn't do anything in the public that you would regret being caught on camera would you? Other than that, i could say i don't exactly know the exact consequences of having that many cameras, but what i do know, is that i HATE red-light cameras!!! It will be the end of the world and the end of freedom when speeding cameras are placed on the highways and freeways!

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Here is another area that can use cameras.
www.humanevents.com...
I understand what Xare is saying and I shiver at the thought, but unless we are all going to step up and take on these problems ourselves I see no other solution.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by super70
Mayor Daley said Wednesday.
"By the time 2016 [rolls around], we'll have more cameras than Washington, D.C. ... Our technology is more advanced than any other city in the world -- even compared to London "

Hmmm, cant see it being more advanced than London myself, especially considering even small towns in Wales with populations of

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by PittsburghMike
heres a tip, if you arent doing anything wrong, you wont have to worry about with any cameras anywhere.

I agree - while it might give us a sense of being watched it's also keeping the scum off the streets if they know they are being watched more and can be identitified.

Me walking down the street minding my own busines is of no interest of the authorities.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
and to think i was going to relocate to chicago because of the amount of cameras here in this town and the ever growing SWAT force

top topics

join