It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A "Survivalists" Forum or Research Project?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I vote yes too.

This is a superb idea. I have been trying to gather information on survival techniques for some time, but there isn't a lot out there, especially for someone like me who likes to ask questions instead of just reading the information.

I also love the idea of a PDF that I can download and print.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   
sorry to join this thread a few days late (i was on holiday) but i already made a thread with this idea in mind. it has a wealth of information in there already.

it was only myself, asala and rasobasi420 who ever made any contributions in there so i dont think a whole forum would work. the thread never even got bigger than one page!

anyway, here is my ats guide to survival for what its worth to anyone

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
Deus Ex, I suggest you mind your own business about what I believe or not. I honestly spoke about my misgivings. And I said I read the material to change that.

You can say whatever you want, but I'm not going to believe you. Like I said in an earlier post- do what the rest of us do. If you don't like a forum, don't read it.

What did you exactly miss in my post regarding this information?

Oh, I didn't miss anything. Just the backhanded implication that we're fundies or nazis or whatever really tweaked me the wrong way, especially coming from you. Or, maybe it was when you implied we were lying about our motives. Yeah, people generally take offence to thinly veiled insults from you, or anyone else for that matter.

I also implore that it is best to leave me alone if you cannot find a simple modicum of politeness or kindness to answer me with respect and to take me at my word.

So, let me get this straight: First, you ask what our forum has to do about conspiracies...which is a fairly stupid question, especially since there's a whack of forums on ATS not dedicated to hunting UFOs or stopping the satellite chip in your brain. Then, you suggest if we want to discuss it, we up and leave. Then, my favorite part, you subtly imply we're whatever demonic force you hate today, and ask that we be 'straightforward about it', as if we weren't before, half expecting us to pull away masks to reveal crosses and swastikas.

You spouted attitude, and that's what you got. Tou get what you give, and if you don't like that, go cry to the ACLU.

DE

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I vote yes for a Survivalists forum only because the few threads we have on the topic could easily be made into many threads discussing different topics on survival, post fallout, etc... and other than BTS's General Chit Chat there really is not another thread topic that could cover survivalists. etc..

Threads we already have on survival have discussed so many topics in addition to what the original thread topic was on. Anyways, there seems to be MUCH activity and interest in the few survival threads we already have.

[edit on 14/10/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
All I worry about this topic is whether there is some sort of agenda that is going to be pressed within the forum. And if there is an agenda that supports a particular group (especially those that came to prominence in the early nineties), then, I would have misgivings about a forum like this.

No, no agendas desiring to be pressed, and to answer other people's questions, no I'm not trying to organize a terrorists manual nor am I trying to create Walter Mitty fantasies for anyone (good reference, btw, funny movie.)

What I aim to do is to provide people the knowledge neccessary to survive, in an orderly format that is openly contributed to and sorted by subject material. Bombs aren't typically crucial to survival, if it'd make people more comfortable with the subject matter we can limit the "violent" content to conventional firearms.

However, as I've repeatedly stressed in any threads pertaining to survival, you don't stay alive by running around playing Rambo. The false idea of some sort of uber-mensche taking on the entire Army of Situation X is as ridiculous as it is counterproductive. The way you survive is by keeping your head down, ensuring your group has enough fresh water, food, shelter, medical, and defensive capabilities at your current location, and to have fallback locations ready and planned for.

Back, briefly to the agenda thing, since I want to be crystal clear. My only agenda is keeping my fellow ATSers alive. I don't care what religion you are, or if you're agnostic or atheist, what race you are, what sexual preference you are, or what your political ideology is. I don't care, don't need to know, don't want to know. These things have nothing to do with survival. Maybe, perhaps, in individual groups of the friends you choose to prepare for Situation X with, in order to keep motivated in times of low morale you can all decide you're better people than Enemy X, but that's not something you're going to get from a manual, and certainly not something that needs to be within the Survivalists forum. So please, rest assured, I have no secret agenda or plan, I'm being bluntly honest. I just want y'all to have a (metaphorically) fighting chance against the next Situation X.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Why is it that there is always a person or persons who say why discuss that here when you can go to another forum to discuss this or that. The reason its important to discuss this or that Within the ATS/BTS/PTS realm are twofold.

one is because of the community feel of the ATS realm. in a community you discuss all kinds of things.

The second and most important reason is because of the quality of the people who frequent ATS. The intelligence cannot be matched any ware on the web. If the intelligent people leave for other forum sites ATS will become just another forum site, instead of THE forum site.

On a more personal note ceci2006 You want all the cards on the table thats fine here's my hand. It starts with how dare you associate hate groups with this thread and it ends with you should be ashamed of yourself. Look to find the good in things instead of the bad. not every one is out to spread the words of hate. you keep looking for Evil long enough and hard enough it will find you. So start looking for the good.

Survival starts with knowledge thats all this is about.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
thelibra-

Just to be clear, I know you didn't want to set up that sort of thing. My comment was out there for everyone's consideration.

I think this is a brilliant idea.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   

one is because of the community feel of the ATS realm. in a community you discuss all kinds of things.

The second and most important reason is because of the quality of the people who frequent ATS. The intelligence cannot be matched any ware on the web. If the intelligent people leave for other forum sites ATS will become just another forum site, instead of THE forum site.

My thoughts exactly, it's a kind of esprit decor that leads us to want to discuss this topic HERE, not some other board that doesn't meet the standards of intelligent discussion. Let's here it for ATS!

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
How can you consider conspiracies without looking towards survivalism as an end to the madness? I vote for this and good suggestion.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Oi, Mod-friends!

Just curious what the next steps to take would be. Is there a certain goal we have to meet first? Do we need to come up with a symbol to represent the forum? A motto? A mascot? A marmet? Do we just keep collecting "Ayes" to a certain point, or is it already being discussed within the dark and smoky secret back-rooms of the ATS Headquarters?

I have already filled out a suggestion form as the first step, just in case someone was going to suggest that.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
It's a good idea.
Yes, from me.

BTW one of my favorite TV shows, is Survivorman.
A Canadian guy, who gets dumped in the wilderness for a week, and has to survive on
his wits, and 3 corn chips.

Survivorman TV show

Any of you ever watch this?

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by denythestatusquo
How can you consider conspiracies without looking towards survivalism as an end to the madness?

Exactly. This is an EXCELLENT idea. Fantastic. I am already looking forward to it. I hope this comes into being.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
Basically, Situation X is any scenario where the government and/or local infrastructure is either unable or unwilling to render aid in a severe crisis situation. Anything from Hurricanes to Enemy Occupation to Revolution to Zombie Infestation and everything in between and beyond.

Sitution X could be the setting up of a DMZ type of infectious disease quarrenty zone. What if you found yourself on the wrong side of the DMZ quarrenty zone?

Could also be a nuclear fallout zone where government responders are unwilling to enter the contaminated zone.

I like the idea of a suvivalist forum. Chances are that civilation will be falling apart very shortly. Best to prepare for it.

[edit on 14-10-2006 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I think if we can get this we should get it soon.

Things aren't looking too good

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I also like to keep a few gallons of bleach on hand. Very cheap and comes in very handy for purifying water. Clean drinking water is absolutely crucial to survival. You can go ALOT longer without food than water. Depending on your fat stores of course.

Inexpensive, but a great way to be prepared. Anyway's alot to be said about water, but I'll wait for the Forum!

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I'm all for it. What a great idea!

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I suspect most of the discussion will be firearms related - so I'm all for it

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I think that's a stretch! If that was the case, we'd be talking about a firearms forum wouldn't we?

Firearm's have a place in survival, but to say that that's most of the content is a bit off IMO.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I agree with Himwhohath- this won't be another 'weapons' forum. There are a lot of places where getting a firearm is about as likely as a rain of toads. those people need survival questions answered as much as anyone else.

You can't live on gunpower alone.

DE

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
I agree with Himwhohath- this won't be another 'weapons' forum. There are a lot of places where getting a firearm is about as likely as a rain of toads. those people need survival questions answered as much as anyone else.

You can't live on gunpower alone.

DE

Get a longbow instead then. You don't need a license for one in england, although it might presently be illegal to shoot anything for food. But in a survival situation, who would care.

By the way I vote for this forum too.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join