It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sumerian Edin or Eden?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk
this is what the third time you claimed you'd do that Beth
fact of the matter is I know far more about mesopotamian history than you do
and you know it
or else why would you ask me questions in the first place

to show, in contrast to yourself, that i don't claim to know everything, and to suggest that a discourse should be undertaken rather than a shooting match. you should ask me questions about the bible, but you think you know everything about that as well. i should ask you questions about sumer. then take the information that is pertinent to my research, as helpful. but this is what transpires instead:

you don't know that already? ah hahaha.

ten posts later, you finally answer the question, but not before insisting you regale me with your opinion of my level of intelligence and education. seriously, do you think that serves any purpose other than to waste both your time and mine?

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
actually i don't know what youre bitching about at all
i answered every question youve ever asked me in full in the next post
the only exception I took in this thread is when you showed you don't know how to use epsd yet but were making unsupportable claims about serpent men from it
whats the problem now ?

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   

actually i don't know what youre bitching about at all
i answered every question youve ever asked me in full in the next post
the only exception I took in this thread is when you showed you don't know how to use epsd yet but were making unsupportable claims about serpent men from it
whats the problem now ?

i see denial is your thing. no problem. took me a bit to figure out your angle. you'll excuse me if i just refrain from answering any more of your questions or acknowledging your insults. you can, of course, continue to diatribe and rant/rave/whatever, but as long as you aren't going to approach the topic with honesty, i can't very well learn anything from you other than how to dodge and insult.

see ya later,
loophole.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   
now i know youre bonkers
maybe you could give me an example of my dishonesty
then I'll give you several examples of yours

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   

now i know youre bonkers
maybe you could give me an example of my dishonesty
then I'll give you several examples of yours

you don't really want me to do that. besides, it's okay, marduk. just find someone else to pick on. i promise, there are even bigger problems to solve out there than whether or not you agree with what i'm saying. honest. go for it. you can do it. skeedaddle now. off you go. bye bye. hasta la vista and all that.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
so you saying I was dishonest was incorrect then
but youre not big enough to admit it
thats what I figured
another unproven hypothesis on your part

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
So anyway, for the OTHER readers of my thread (lol if there are any left) on the subject of Edin or Eden, how about this one:

According to the Pennsylvannia Sumerian Dictionary, the word Aneden means "high steppe"
psd.museum.upenn.edu...

Interestingly enough, the very first glyph in the word is dingir, which is the glyph for "Deity". Instead they've translated it "High." But what happens when we replace "High" with the concept of "Deity" or "God" in the phrase "An-Eden"? We get God's (An's) Eden or God's (An's) Steppe. An was the highest of the sumerian gods. He was the progenitor of Enki and Enlil, for example. At least, in some of the various pantheons that have come out of that area. It's odd that PSD decided to translate it "high steppe", while still acknowledging elsewhere that "An" or "Anu" was a sumerian-akkadian-babylonian god.

There's a bit o' debate over when An was changed to Anu, but I think it's more than a little curious that the egyptian "On" and even "Anu[bis]" seem to have similar etymological backgrounds, in a similar timeframe.

[edit on 22-11-2006 by undo]

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
the use of the word An in this case is a determinative Undo
you know what a determinative is do you ?

if you checked all the instances of the use of the word An as a determinative you'd know that wouldn't you
psd.museum.upenn.edu... - upper
psd.museum.upenn.edu... - litter
psd.museum.upenn.edu... - iron
psd.museum.upenn.edu... - mid day
psd.museum.upenn.edu... - exalted
psd.museum.upenn.edu... - a plant

there are lots more examples than this but I'll stop here
what you are doing once again Undo is interpreting one piece of evidence to fit your ideal
you need to consider all the facts before you reach a decision
not just one of them

your original idea was close but I'm wondering why you didn't translate it as Heavenly Eden which is just as supported with your evidence ?

[edit on 22-11-2006 by Marduk]

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
(correction to my previous post: It should say, "The Highest God's Eden" or the Highest God's steppe/garden/field)

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
but Undo
in your favourite story an-edin is described as "the high plain"

guru7-du6 guru7-maš-e an-edin-na gu2 u-mu-un-gur-gur-re

stockpiles and stacks can be accumulated on the high plain

doesn't say anything about God at all
at no time would it say

"The Highest God's Eden"

because as I already told you Eden is not a noun

[edit on 23-11-2006 by Marduk]

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
just a thought:

i agree with Undo, Marduk acts a bit too "high and mighty".

you are awarded no points Marduk, and may god have mercy on your soul.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Let's keep it civil, folks. Argue the issue and not personalities.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 05:42 AM
link   
From what I can ascertain, some words of that timeframe were used for many different things and could, at any point, refer to one or more things and be applied in more than one way in the sentence structure. The words for snake, scorpion and locust, all have similar etymologies. Why a locust, I don't know, but it is interesting that Eden and scorpion/serpent/locust would have similar etymological history in ancient texts besides the bible, and that later, when the "Gate" is re-investigated we see locust beings with scorpion tails, emerging from it (Revelation 9)

[edit on 24-11-2006 by undo]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   

the use of the word An in this case is a determinative Undo
you know what a determinative is do you ?

I DO! (goes with my name...I've been undone once or twice myself!)

LOL

if you checked all the instances of the use of the word An as a determinative you'd know that wouldn't you
psd.museum.upenn.edu... - upper
psd.museum.upenn.edu... - litter
psd.museum.upenn.edu... - iron
psd.museum.upenn.edu... - mid day
psd.museum.upenn.edu... - exalted
psd.museum.upenn.edu... - a plant

there are lots more examples than this but I'll stop here
what you are doing once again Undo is interpreting one piece of evidence to fit your ideal

It is clear to me that even someone who reads the bible from the perspective of being a christian could learn a lot from Marduk...or the Sumerians...but Marduk is still around...

you need to consider all the facts before you reach a decision
not just one of them

Sage advice in all situations!

I enjoy your posts...I learn a lot!

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Oh please, go worship him somewhere else lol

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Why a locust, I don't know

locusts serpents and scorpions are all members of Tiamats brood

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Tiamat first appears in the Enuma Elish, a babylonian creation myth, and is an attempt on the part of Marduk and his priests, to explain the events that preceeded the mesopotamian flood. He relies heavily on metaphor and symbollism so that he can insert himself into sumerian/akkadian history, as solely responsible for the heroic exploits of the gods and their hybrid rulers. In truth, Tiamat is nowhere to be found in earlier texts and especially not in Akkadian texts.

If anything, Tiamat represented an older symbol with a different name that Marduk didn't understand, which is why there are so many varied attempts to interpret what the Enuma Elish is trying to say, because even the Enuma Elish didn't know what it was trying to say. lol

[edit on 4-12-2006 by undo]

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
thats not true
are you saying that you don't know what the Enuma Elish is trying to say or why it was written in the first place or even what its function was in Babylonian society
in that case theres only one person round here who doesn't know what theyre trying to say eh Beth

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   

thats not true

Edin, Eden, Edward, Eddhie, Eid Mubarak. Are they all the same?

How about Aladdin?

Perhaps Sir British Archeologist Marduk could be a help.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
no i think its quite clear that they are in fact different words
glad to have helped

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join