It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

crime in our neighborhoods

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I was robbed last night as I was walking from my car to my house. I has just parked coming home from school and was approached by two large men who took my purse and proceeded to dig through my pockets. Luckily I was not physically harmed, however now I am so frightened in my own neighborhood that I can barely sleep.

Is there anything as a citizen that I can do? I was just wondering if anyone else feels that the laws and punishments in our states should be more strict so that criminals are not repeat offenders. The men who stole my purse casually walked away from me as if it was no big deal that they had just robbed someone. What is this world coming to?

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about your experience. I used to live in a big city and crime was always out there. Just a matter of time until one's number came up on the odds list.

I do think that with the current system, crime does pay. How to keep up with all the criminals and deal out punisment? Guess it is to overwelming for the system. I personally have firearms to defend my property, but it does not do a lot when mobile.
In my state, Texas, a conceal carry permit is required. But using deadly for in a robbery just might not fly even in this state.

I think poverty and drugs continue to take it's toll. If will take a very major change here in the US to make a difference.

Maybe a lot of looking over one's shoulder...

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
wow..I'm sorry to hear what happened to you, I hope you have spoken to the police. If you have not you should do so immediately and give them as a detailed description as possible, as being a texas citizen being able to carry a concealed weapon I believe you should carry a small gun for protection, especially if you traverse the state at late at night.

[edit on 11-10-2006 by Revelmonk]

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I know that feeling and it isn't pleasant.

Here are some suggestions:

Ruger

Rossi MODEL R46202

MODEL R35202

Taurus Revolvers

National Rifle Association

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Crime was, perhaps, my greatest motivation in moving to Canada from the U.S.

I was living and going to University in Detroit at the time (around 1975). I had arrived to school very early one morning (around 6:30 am) for an early exam. I was to meet a bunch of my friends for a last minute cram session. I parked in a parking structure and was on my way to the elevator when a young kid -- certainly no more than 14 years old -- called out, "Hey Mister"!

I immediately thought that something was wrong. Why would a little kid be wandering around a parking structure at this hour of the morning? I turned and walked toward him while asking him if I could help him in some way.

When I was about six feet away from the kid, he pulled a gun out of his jacket pocket. It was a shiny, nickle-plated, machine stamped 25 cal. -- a "Saturday Night Special".
I don't think that I would have been shot to death or killed outright. But, hey! I didn't need any extra holes in my body and, besides, you never know what vital organ that little round could have damaged.

The kid said "Give me your money". I immediately pulled out my wallet and pulled out three bucks -- it was all I had.

The kid grabbed the money. He actually said "Thanks" before adding a mumbled A**H*** at the end. Then the kid turned around and SLOWLY sauntered off. I quickly went down the stairs (damn the elevator) and called the police. They never caught the kid.

Now, you see, I've been the victim of other crimes before but this struck a deep and troubled note in me. The kid had "WALKED" away. That really bothered me because, as a kid growing up in Detroit, Devil's Night (the eve before Halloween) had been a time to soap windows and ring doorbells -- general mischief. This was before it became "fun" to simply burn buildings down in Detroit as was the norm in the 80's. Anyway, when I used to ring a doorbell or soap a window , I remember RUNNING for all I was worth. This little stick up man WALKED away.

I found this very troubling and when I had the opportunity to move to Canada -- because of marriage --- I took that option and never looked back. Incidentally, even though there is crime in Canada, I still feel safer, more secure, in the Great White North than I ever could back in Detroit.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I know that feeling and it isn't pleasant.

Here are some suggestions:

Ruger

Rossi MODEL R46202

MODEL R35202

Taurus Revolvers

National Rifle Association

Let's just say that Smith & Wesson and Sturm, Ruger and Company were close friends of mine. But, in order to be effective, you should always have one of your "friends" with you at all times.

Still, had I been "packing", I doubt whether shooting a little kid in defense of three bucks would have been the way I would have gone.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
If you don't want or like to carry guns, maybe you could opt for a stun gun.
They're legal here where I live. You should be able to pick up a good one at a local gun show.
Also some courses on self-defense might help. Always try to be aware of your surroundings and never "look" like a victim. I've heard that carrying yourself with aggression and confidence may help make a criminal choose a more vulnerable looking target.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
Still, had I been "packing", I doubt whether shooting a little kid in defense of three bucks would have been the way I would have gone.

That response was made to the OP. I have no problem with your response to the kid. "Discretion is the better part of valor."

It's leaving the country that bothers me. But, I know how you feel.

I left New Orleans because savages ruled the streets and the law abiding were at their mercy.

I knew a generation of people who would not have let that happen, but alas, they are gone.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   

[

It's leaving the country that bothers me. But, I know how you feel.

I was in my mid twenties when I went to Canada. The War in VietNam had ended -- thanks to my favorite President, President Richard M. Nixon , who stopped the draft at lottery number 006 (I held 008) in the 1971 Selective Service Lottery -- so I certainly was not a draft dodger.

Yes crime was a factor....a big one....in my decision to move to Canada but it was also a decision born of adventure. I wanted to "do something different". I had a young Canadian wife and, well, it simply made sense to me at that time.

I am a dual citizen now. But I am an American and I treasure the values and the principles of that great land. Alas, it is clear that so much of what was good about the U.S. now lays dormant. Note that I didn't say that these values are dead. I believe that there will come a time when the pendulum swings the other way and a time will come when Americans will,once again, stand up--with pride-- for principles, beliefs and a way of life that made the U.S. a great nation.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I believe that there will come a time when the pendulum swings the other way and a time will come when Americans will,once again, stand up--with pride-- for principles, beliefs and a way of life that made the U.S. a great nation.

Don't bet on it.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Sorry for what happen but I'm to used to it. Someone the other day tried to rob me for my DS in the Light-rail in Jersey City, NJ. I beat his ass. I said "this geek could *&%* you up &*^$%^)!(*$#! any day %!@*!" and then threw his punk ass out. So as you can see used to this life and ok with it.

OH yeah! No one mess with my DS!

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   

I believe that there will come a time when the pendulum swings the other way and a time will come when Americans will,once again, stand up--with pride-- for principles, beliefs and a way of life that made the U.S. a great nation.

Don't bet on it.

During WWII and, to some extent, the Korean War, Americans all shared in the war effort. They worked together. They suffered together and they sacrificed together. Fuel was rationed as were certain foods and commodities. Americans were all in it together.

Then something happened. Suddenly, with the VietNam War, the United States became compartmentalized. The war was over there -- somewhere. And, meanwhile, life was here -- in the U.S. If a person didn't turn on a TV or a radio, he might never have noticed that there was a war on.

This is more true than ever today. If a person didn't "tune in" to the media or fly on a plane, he might never realize that there was a war going on. We're not talking a police action or some sort of peace keeping venture. America is at war. Yet, for some reason, Americans are being shielded from the realities of war. Americans are being insulated from the cost; both human and material, of waging war.

The same factors that once brought Americans together -- working for a common goal -- are now being used to tear America down by separating Americans...by creating factions or sides. Issues that should be clear have become muddied and obscured.

But I really believe that Americans will wake up. Unfortunately, I fear that the "sleeping giant" will only be roused, once again, when calamity strikes.

Yes, Americans were shocked and angered when the WTC was attacked and destroyed. But, strangely, just as the rubble of the WTC disappeared and the site of the 911 attack was cleared so too , the collective consciousness pushed the reality of this tragedy into the far reaches, it would seem of our nations' awareness.

Maybe it would take a catastrophe of the most unimaginable proportions, I hope not, but I do believe that Americans will at such a time come together.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Now Now people try to remember that in our society today we must recognize that these bad guys were probably victims themself. They were probably spanked as children picked on and held back by the man. You should try to understand their rage and needs.
Maybe the 14 year old kid needed to eat because his mom is a crack w***e.
But then after taking half a second to consider all of those things, Smith and Wesson offer the best therapy.

But on a serious note I feel very bad for anyone that has to deal with this kind of thing and it really makes me mad when I have a 16 year old daughter that I have to try to get her to understand how everyone tends to take advantage of most women. It dosen't seem to matter if it is the car Mechanic or a robber they can trust no one.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I'm sorry you went through that...I have no suggestions other than perhaps, along with your neighbors, institute a Neighborhood Watch program. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at how many people would be more than happy to help out. Most are just waiting for someone to get the ball rolling.

These sort of programs are, as near as I can tell, very successful in, if not stopping crime in neighborhoods, curtailing it dramatically. I would also suggest giving some thought to carrying, choose a weapon you are comfortable with, learn to use it, practise with it, and get all the appropriate permits. Most police and/or Sherrifs Dept. have training programs that are specifically tailored to women, at least in larger metropolitan areas.

Being a large male, with an admittedly somewhat grim demeanor, I haven't had the trouble that women have with people taking advantage.

My encounters with law breakers occured while I was in Alaska, one outside of Chillacut Charlies, an utter moron tried to roll me thinking I was far more drunk than I was, as someone else so eloquently put it earlier, he got the ###%% stomped out of him. The other idiot stopped when he realized I was aware he was there and was actually waiting for him. He left. But as I said...I'm a bit larger than most.

It comes down to an attitude...and awareness of your surroundings. You can learn this...cops, soldiers, and others do this constantly. So can we. It would be nice if it weren't neccessary. When you step out of your car, or your home, place of business, look around...if something doesn't seem right, it probably isn't. There's no shame in running away, or backing off to look the situation over. Better to call the cops needlessly, then need them and not have them. Learn to listen to your instincts, and to trust them. Thousands of years of survival instincts are ingrained into each and every one of us, all we have to do is learn to trust them.

[edit on 12-10-2006 by seagull]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I can understand that many people simply don't want to carry a firearm for self defense. Holding "life and death" in ones hand....the choice in one's mind....is a great responsibility. But one does not necessarily need to carry a gun to be safe or feel safe.

Speak softly and carry a big stick

The Kenpo martial arts tradition (and perhaps others) have extensive use of the cane in their system. Personally, I have very bad knees (ruined playing hockey and football in High School) and, on occasion when one or the other knee flairs up I will carry a cane to assist in walking.

My knees don't need to be "acting up", however, for me to carry a cane. Whenever I go traveling, I always carry my "hickory stick". For all intents and purposes, it's just a piece of wood -- a typical looking cane. However, I have no doubt that in a "difficult" situation that stick can and would enable me to inflict crippling (the irony forced me to used this word) punishment on any attacker.

The best part about carrying a cane is that it is unobtrusiive, readily accessible and, with a bit of theory and practice can be quickly mastered enough to be be a very viable defensive weapon.

No matter where I might be walking, no matter the time of day or night, I always feel a bit more secure when I am carrying my cane. An added bonus is that the security one feels carrying a "defensive cane' translates into a very real sense of confidense and poise which is, in itself, a detterent.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
BT. Absolutely. One doesn't need to carry "lethal" weaponry, such as a gun or knife. A good old fashioned peice of hickory will do the job. Or a weighted glove like the one I used to carry. Many martial arts traditions utilize very ordinary items in a variety of lethal, or non-lethal, ways that are absolutely breath taking.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
GW I'm sorry for your ordeal. I've noticed that many people advocate carrying a gun and while that is effective; it is only effective if you know in your heart that you will use it. If you aren't sure of that then don't carry one it could be taken away from you and used on you. I recommend capstun; you can get it at most any sporting goods store and it is very effective and is less then lethal.

However, the most important thing you can do is walk in a very confident manner; be aware of your surroundings at all times. We call it being in the yellow zone; relaxed and aware. If you appear to be a less vulnerable target odds are good the criminals will leave you alone.

Finally don't give into the fear. If you do the bad guys win.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes

However, the most important thing you can do is walk in a very confident manner; be aware of your surroundings at all times. We call it being in the yellow zone; relaxed and aware. If you appear to be a less vulnerable target odds are good the criminals will leave you alone.

Finally don't give into the fear. If you do the bad guys win.

Confidence and non-lethal weapons are important. Your advice saved my butt in a very bad situation once.

However, a weapon lethal or non-lethal is indispensable in situations where bluff doesn't work and I've been in those, too.

As to your other concerns, I say training, training, training.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Grady you are correct sometimes a weapon is a necessity; however; I get concerned about everybody carrying a gun. They are fine if you have had the training to use them and if you have the will. Some people no matter the provcation will not be able to bring themselves to kill somebody; they will however, be able to use the less then lethal options. Everybody should also take self-defense courses; they are invaluable not only for defense but for the confidence attained from passing one. One of the best defenses is making alot of noise attract attention. Women especially need to walk with confidence and remember safety in numbers. Also objects you have at hand especially keys can be used as a weapon if all else fails. You can use keys to rake across the face or jab into tender areas. I wouldn't recommend women using a groin shot unless you are very very sure you are going to completly disable your attacker as that action tends to make men really really angry. There are better techniques to be learned.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I have mixed feelings about this kind of carry, but as I have stated previously, training is essential regardless of how one carries and understanding the limitations and dangers of carrying a gun in something that is as easy to steal as a purse would be part of that training.

Anyway, this is an option for those who carry purses.

nrafoundation.org

top topics

join