It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 & The Photon Belt

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by d60944
Sorry I know I'm not supposed to post one liners, but name more than two seperate such societies?

Thanks.

Rob.

As avid stargazers, the ancient Maya were keen to an astrological cycle we call the Precession of the Equinoxes. This is close to a 26,000 year cycle in which Earth transits through each of the 12 signs of the zodiac for about 2152 years each. Each of these astrological ages represents one month of the grand, Cosmic Year. Sumerians, Tibetans, Egyptians, Cherokees, Hopi, and Mayans refer to this same 26,000 year cycle in their mystical belief systems and each have developed calendars based on this great cycle.

The Maya Planted with great intention, these dates were left to ensure that future generations would be alerted to the coming end point of this great 26,000 year cycle

[edit on 12-10-2006 by Xeros]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
@ Xeros

Yeah, there are many cultures that believe in cycles but only one that I know of that pinpointed an actual date for the "end of the age."

Mod Edit: Warnings for excessive quoting, and how to quote –Please Review This Link

[edit on 12-10-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   

www.thehigherlife.com...
Thus far, we have covered two subjects with respect to our thesis. First, we discussed the ancient Sumerians, and the story of a strange-sounding planet called Nibiru, with its 3600 year orbit, that, according to Sumerian calculations, is supposed to return via a near-Earth passage in the year 2012 A.D., bringing with it destruction and chaos. Then we took a brief look at what is today known as Planet X, because for years astronomers have been convinced that a 10th member of our solar system exists far beyond the orbit of Pluto, and that indeed it is presently on a course that could well take it to a near-Earth encounter in just a few more years. Could Nibiru and Planet X be one and the same entity?

Secondly, we delved into the remarkable calendar system of the Olmec, Aztec, and particularly the Mayan cultures, showing that these ancient peoples clearly understood the rare celestial movement called the precession of the equinoxes, and indeed based their calendrical calculations on it. We also discovered that the Mayans, like many of the great preceding civilizations, knew that an age was precisely 1/5 of the Great Precessional Cycle of 25,625 years, or 5125 years. According to the Mayans and Aztecs, the age in which we now live today will come to an end in exactly the year 2012 A.D. And finally, based upon the Mayan calculations, we investigated the beginning of this current age, which commenced far back in time in the year 3114 B. C., concluding that, according to scientists, this marked the beginning of the great age of monument-building, and on an unprecedented scale in all of world history!

The cycles are directly linked to 2012.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
www.2012theodyssey.com...

This link was posted on a BTS today....its a movie about 2012 watch the trailer it makes a few refernces to other religions and cultures around the world who also have predictions regarding 2012.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
This response will be broken into more than one post as it's long. Please forgive that fact. I have tried to reference as much as possible in it all. I hope it's all worth it....

Originally posted by Xeros

www.thehigherlife.com...
Thus far, we have covered two subjects with respect to our thesis. First, we discussed the ancient Sumerians, and the story of a strange-sounding planet called Nibiru, with its 3600 year orbit, that, according to Sumerian calculations, is supposed to return via a near-Earth passage in the year 2012 A.D., bringing with it destruction and chaos. Then we took a brief look at what is today known as Planet X, because for years astronomers have been convinced that a 10th member of our solar system exists far beyond the orbit of Pluto, and that indeed it is presently on a course that could well take it to a near-Earth encounter in just a few more years. Could Nibiru and Planet X be one and the same entity?

This old chestnut again.

The theory that ancient Sumer referred to a planet in these myths is the work of one man, derived from an extremely limited array of cuneiform tablets. It is not accepted by Sumerian scholars in general. Please keep it in perspective, however exciting is sounds. In fact Stichin's own first work from 1976 placed a date of return for his planet Nibiru in 2003. Which didn't happen. He has now revised the date to 2085 (Source) but this is not 2012 either.

It is untrue that "for years astronomers have been convinced that a 10th member of our solar system exists far beyond the orbit of Pluto, and that indeed it is presently on a course that could well take it to a near-Earth encounter in just a few more years." What is untrue is that astronomers think this in general. I mean that such an planet exists with an earth-crossing orbit. The normal view is that there is no large planetary body remaining unknown in the solar system.
(Source 1)
(Source 2)

The standard interpretation of Sumerian mythology *as mythology* makes sense too and has the added advantages of being rigorous, logical and consistent with both itself and anthropology.

These ideas are way out there. Not normal. Exceptional. Not generally accepted by people who know what they're talking about. etc. etc. Do you get the drift? It's a modern idea, which does not seem to have been held by any culture. If sheer weight of numbers impresses people, please pop into a library of Sumerian textbooks and journals and compare the weight of numbers to those advocating the Stichin-based model.

[edit on 12-10-2006 by d60944]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Secondly, we delved into the remarkable calendar system of the Olmec, Aztec, and particularly the Mayan cultures, showing that these ancient peoples clearly understood the rare celestial movement called the precession of the equinoxes, and indeed based their calendrical calculations on it. We also discovered that the Mayans, like many of the great preceding civilizations, knew that an age was precisely 1/5 of the Great Precessional Cycle of 25,625 years, or 5125 years. According to the Mayans and Aztecs, the age in which we now live today will come to an end in exactly the year 2012 A.D.

[snip]...

The cycles are directly linked to 2012.

I can't let that rest at that... I stand by my request to name more than two independent societies who believed 'something' was going to happen in the year 2012.

You have named one. The Maya. The Maya themselves knew nothing of precession, and their calendar makes no use of a 25,800 year period. The longest normal period they used was the 'Great Cycle' of 5,125 years (of which five come to 25,625 years, although the Maya make no reference to any special signifcance of a fivefold multiple of the great cycle, and this number is also not related to precession - see later).
Source).

The Aztec and Olmec are - for the purposes of this topic - using the same calendar and derive from an older common mesoamerican culture. They are the same culture for these purposes.

In more detail, the cycle of precession of the equinoxes is NOT 25,625 years. It is very doubtful that any ancient cultures knew anything about it at all.
Source
And some unbiased sources on the period of precession:
en.wikipedia.org... - cycle of the precession of the equinoxes is 25,800 years
www.encyclopedia.com... - cycle of the precession of the equinoxes is approx. 26,000 years
www.answers.com/topic/precession - cycle of the precession of equinoxes is 25,800 years
www.experiencefestival.com... - cycle of the precession of equinoxes if 25,920 years, and this from a heavily pro-2012 site!

If we are going to trust an ancient and complex calendar then - if precession was really understood - we should expect it to be known as accurately as other elements comprising the calendar. If the calendar was meant to be based on precession accurately, we would have a real end-of-cycle ocurring in a year quite far removed from 2012.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   

As avid stargazers, the ancient Maya were keen to an astrological cycle we call the Precession of the Equinoxes. This is close to a 26,000 year cycle in which Earth transits through each of the 12 signs of the zodiac for about 2152 years each. Each of these astrological ages represents one month of the grand, Cosmic Year. Sumerians, Tibetans, Egyptians, Cherokees, Hopi, and Mayans refer to this same 26,000 year cycle in their mystical belief systems and each have developed calendars based on this great cycle.

The Maya Planted with great intention, these dates were left to ensure that future generations would be alerted to the coming end point of this great 26,000 year cycle

I cannot in fact find any support that any other culture on the planet except the Maya has adopted a cyclic calendar with an end-of-cycle in 2012. The video linked to also does not claim that any other belief system pinpoints 2012, it is merely claiming that other belief systems have prophecies about important events that they interpret as being fulfilled generally within a contemporary timeframe (but that in fact could begin as many as 400 years ago in some cases, and can continue to occur for decades to come). The rest is left to the overactive imagination of the viewer. I can find no clinching evidence that any ancient culture knew of precession, so I am inclined to doubt the veracity of the source quoted. (Even if they did, I don't see how it would be relevant in any case!)

The Egyptian calendar is not based upon a precessionary period. There is no relation to 2012 anywhere. There is no large cyclic basis. It was in fact rather inaccurate.
Source

Sumer used a lunar calendar and no cyclic aeon idea. Again no relation to 2012.
Source

The Tibetan calendar was also lunar and derived from Chinese observations of precession after the fifth century AD and prior Indian systems. Study the history of Tibet. The larger 60-year groupings of sacred cycles in the Tibetan system put an end of the 16th 60-year cycle in 1987, and the end of the 17th will be in 2047. No relation to 2012.
Source - scroll down quite far

I can find no independent reference to what the Cherokee and Hopi calendars actually are, or whether they use greater cycles/ages in them. I have found references to various prophetic feelings about an end-time being in the pipeline though, and as I mentioned above, I think that this is being wrongly equated with calendars pointing at specific dates.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   

And finally, based upon the Mayan calculations, we investigated the beginning of this current age, which commenced far back in time in the year 3114 B. C., concluding that, according to scientists, this marked the beginning of the great age of monument-building, and on an unprecedented scale in all of world history!

This is way off the mark too. The world's first cities with semi-permanent monuments and architecture - as opposed to villages - started apearring in any real numbers in c.4000-3500BC (Source), notwithstanding the exceptional instance of Nabta Playa in the 7th-5th centuries BC. And only in Mesopotamia. Not worldwide. The Indus Valley cities date from at the earliest c.3000BC (Source). It was not really flourishing with building of monuments until c.2500BC however. General construction of stone monuments was more or less even from c.4500-1500BC in Eurasia(Source). Around 3100BC saw the start of the Ancient Egyptian culture. I guess this date does fit in. But as this is a mesoamerican calendar we're talking about I think we should expect to see something relevant happening there at this time. It doesn't until over 1000 years later. (Source). In short there is no general worldwide decisive step towards to a new way of doing things from 3114BC. It's sporadic and gradual, and very regional. Some areas extend way before the identified date and some way after. I don't know what "scientists" the quote must be referring to. One might just as usefully specify a year or decade as the actual end of the Triassic.

In summary, I think that all that will happen in 2012 is that a lot of rich authors will realise they need to find a new way to extract pennies from unwitting uncritical readers, who are so lost in the confusion of the modern world that they latch onto anything that sounds like anything other than the normal mundane drudgery of our inspirationless society with a fervour approaching the religious.

Oh, and Londoners will be realising how expensive the Olympics really can be. ;-)

My next post will address the first posting on the thread, hopefully quickly....

Cheers.

Rob Howe.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by delldesktop5566
NASA reasearcher know of this its even on their website but they state that they really do not know the outcome of this bandof energy

No it really doesn't. Go onto the NASA website and attempt to find any reference to the photon belt there. It ain't there.

your dna is changing as is does every 11,000 years

No it isn't. I won't live that long. But DNA in general continually mutates over time though, but there is no regular periodic fluctuation to it.

The two sources quoted are just plain nonsense. Fiction. There is no such thing as "interdimensional light". Most of the jargon used is invented. I don't plan to go into a nitpick about it as there is so little even resembling reality to hold onto to start from.

Go read Jabberwocky - it makes more sense, and at least it's more artistic. Unless you are worried that the wabe might be on its way to the earth too.

If you want a proper debunk, look here:
www.salemctr.com... and www.etheric.com...

Cheers.

Rob Howe

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I have read a few theories on this photon belt and have stumbled over something I once said a long time ago. The time that we dump religion and religous beliefs that 'god' or 'christ' have anything to do with our lives will be the time we can actually get our heads down and do some work figuring out why the hell we are here. I believe religion stemmed from early beliefs from a single man that the world was created by a greater being and he told more people and so on and so on. Eventually it caught on but some people believed differently (hence branching religions) and we are where we are now. As you can see I am not a religous person and despise the thought of it as it gets us nowhere just beliving that the world was created but what we should be doing is finding out scientifically 100%!

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   

In more detail, the cycle of precession of the equinoxes is NOT 25,625 years. It is very doubtful that any ancient cultures knew anything about it at all.

The first astronomer known to have continued Hipparchus' work on precession is Ptolemy in the 2nd century CE.

en.wikipedia.org...

I have not read your whole post...I will get to it tomorrow but from the link you posted it appears to me the precession was known at least in the second century CE.

If you cared to read John Major Jenkins I think he will provide alot more evidence to this subject.

BTW nice setup question earlier in the day to wait in ambush with your response

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Our Solar system skimmed the photon belt for a few days in 1987. Guess what year i was born in. We are coming to the restart point . Once we do hit the belt in 2012 everyone who has ever lived will come back to life and be judged, its gunna take 2,000 years. Only a few will be chosen to live on to the new begining.

At every end and begining the One exists. He will be mortal , die and then be resurrected with great powers. He will end world hunger, stop WW3 from happening, and spread his knowledge to save a few for the next Begining. And in the begining there was a man who could manipulate the world to his will and creates paradise for the chosen ones, this is the One. He is what keeps infinite going, the balance to the universe.

At the end of this year we are going to be attacked by N.Korea. One of the nukes is going to hit somewhere south of Florida. Then there is going to be a Tsunami, Then he will die in this tsunami but will come back and come forth from the sea. You can see why christians think this is going to be the anti christ. But too bad they know nothing of him becuase he is the second son of god(888) and brother of Jesus(777) his number is 666.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 04:08 AM
link   

I have not read your whole post...I will get to it tomorrow but from the link you posted it appears to me the precession was known at least in the second century CE.

Apologies - I acknowledge that, or I wouldn't have posted the link. For some reason I categorised that in my head as not being ancient (I think I was thinking more of definitively nonwestern cultures or those with not as much direct link to our own - maybe it comes from my background in the European early medieval period that makes it seem closer to me). You'll see I also referred to the Chinese discovery of it as well a couple of centuries afterwards.

I should also point out that I mistyped "centuries" instead of "millennia" in reference to the Nabta Playa civilisation. The relevant fact is the millennia as per the link shown.

BTW nice setup question earlier in the day to wait in ambush with your response

It wasn't planned that way. I just had a strong reaction against the responses to my question (and find the OP so bafflingly fictional as to amaze me) and found I had some time to kill last night.

Cheers.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Here's some info. which may be relevant. Sounds like the Photon Belt.

www.solar-storm-warning.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Geocities?
This looks legit guys.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Sargoth

From my research Alexei Dmitriev does not exist. There is one that is a chemist and one that is an atmospheric scientist at a small university in France. Neither of them deal will astrophysics or anything related to it, and neither of them have worked with NASA.

edit on 30-9-2010 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sargoth

Sargoth you've been busy spreading this hoax in every 2012 thread you can find. Ever check any of the material before you posted the hoax based on a nonexistent person?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
You may be right Excalibur254, the spelling of the name changes here and there. Maybe it's a cover name, who knows.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Sargoth

I also checked this name a few days back and he does not appear to be a real person.

It's getting to be very common for hoax sites to use names that sound Russian to promote hoaxes concerning issues dealing with space.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
How do you confirm if it'as a real person or just a cover name? If you can provide evidence it's a hoax, i'd love to see it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join