It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Support

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   
If there is one thing in this world that is most important to the individual, it is social support. We often make light of support groups, but the fact is that there are so many because they work.

Google Search: Social Support

Yesterday, one of our members, The Parallelogram, lost his father. Prior to his death, The Parallelogram requested that our members remember his father in ways that are consistent with their faith.

Now that the father has passed away, it would be nice and helpful to The Parallelogram, if our members would support him and his family by posting to this thread.

a modest request for emotional support

Any posts to this thread should be a discussion of social support and your opinions and experiences with such.

Grady

[edit on 2006/10/11 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I too have felt the wrath of death, it has hit close to home. I can understand what The Parallelogram has gone through, is going through, and will go through.

No matter how much moral support you recieve from those who are close to you, a breaking point is inevitable. I was 17 when my step-father passed away before my eyes, it was a crushing blow to an already fragile child. For months after I found myself breaking out into fits of rage, tears or even laughter for absolutely no reason.

I simply can not measure what my family and friends had done for me by being their for me. Not by even doing anything, just by sitting back and allowing me to vent my feelings and frustration. Being there to give or take a hug, or share an opinion on a few matters.

Why is Social Support so important?

It reminds us of why life is so good. When our time is up, and were in those last moments, we will remember the social bonds we shared. The amount of your paycheck or cost of your best pair of shoes are the furthest thing from your mind. You will remember your family, friends, maybe a complete stranger who had an impact on your life at one time or another.

It is these bonds that are what we hold closest to our heart.

My grandfather who passed away four years ago, actually had a preist read his final rights to him four times on four separate occasions. He was a fighter, and continued to pull through. I can remember conversations I would have him with and he would always remind me to be good to my family, and never pass up on a friend. He would always emphasize on how important it was to be good to people, even if they were not good to you. They just didn't know better he said, and that is no excuse to mistreat them.

Even if your just listening to a persons problems, you can not measure how important it is.

Great thread Grady!

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
As humans we are social beings. We NEED the interation with and support of others. If a person say, "I don't need anyone", they are either deluded, lying or a serial killer. I'm pretty much a loner, always have been BUT solitude over a long period of time is wearing on the soul.

join