It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mods

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Im curious and dont know if anyone else shares the same or not, but just how are Mods chosen and what
are the criteria. Who makes the decisions and what are they based upon. Are there any certain guidelines that apply to being chosen?

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Just posters that have been around for a long time, know how the board is run, and are familiar with rules. Knowing how to be impartial is an important aspect too.

Additional mods are invited as required, ie if an old mod leaves or is de-modded, or traffic gets high enough to require extra staff.

New mods are discussed and decided upon by senior staff.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Oh I forgot to mention, thats how everyone else gets to be a mod, I'm only here cos I got simon drunk one stormy night and had my merry way with him.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 04:57 AM
link   
It looks like I'll have to take William or Simon hostage to become a mod.

I guess I must do something to piss them off.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 05:08 AM
link   

..or it could be that

Either way, not everyone will be a mod just because they have been around a long time.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 05:12 AM
link   
ThePrankMonkey joined 15-7-2003( no offence to him) so I must be doing something wrong, as the date is obviously nothing to do with it as you pointed out.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 05:42 AM
link   
So what are the other reasons then Kano? I would honestly like to know how you go about selecting mods as you pointed out my date of arrival as being the problem, but TPM was even longer after me? What else is there?

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Being a Mod isn't all it's cracked up to be! I did a lot of IRC Moderating a few years ago. You're constantly in the firing line, it's more work, and you get very little thanks for it.

Whilst things are obviously different on ATS and BTS, I reckon the existing Mods are doing a sterling job

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 06:09 AM
link   
UF, I am not bitching about not being a mod, but I would like an answer to how they are selected. Honestly no offence to TPM, but I just felt there were alot more qualified people for the position than him, so I would just like to know how this is done.
Yes I would like to be a mod, but I am not doing this out of spite or bitterness, just a general curiousity so no one get hot under the collar.

[Edited on 9-11-2003 by John Nada]

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
UF, I am not bitching about not being a mod... no one get hot under the collar.

I wasn't implying anyone was bitching m8, it was just my two-cents worth
I'm quite sure many people find the role rewarding, and good luck to them (and you!) - I'd agree there should at least be an identified process of selection.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by UniversalFiction

Originally posted by John Nada
UF, I am not bitching about not being a mod... no one get hot under the collar.

I wasn't implying anyone was bitching m8, it was just my two-cents worth
I'm quite sure many people find the role rewarding, and good luck to them (and you!) - I'd agree there should at least be an identified process of selection.

Sorry if it looked like I was having a go at you there UF, I didn't mean it to come across that way. I totally understand what you're saying, I just wanted you get my intentions out there straight away before accusations start flying my way.

[Edited on 9-11-2003 by John Nada]

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I joined April 30th (the date lies) and i was a mod in mid-june.

Just get to know everyone and stay on the sidelines, also it never hurts to help out

Its really not that cool btw, just means you have to read every friggin post in your forum whether you like it or not and have a couple hundred u2u's of people wanting to be your new special friend.

[Edited on 9-11-2003 by Nerdling]

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 09:00 AM
link   
i knew a thread like this would pop up soon...and i wasnt disappointed!

no offense meant? dont worry, i'm not easily offended even though it does SEEM like people are indirectly questioning me being made a moderator in this thread.

i dont care if anyone likes it or not, it was their choice and they are in charge and do as they please. they obviously saw something in me even i wasnt aware of and it seems they see something you all dont. but ask them for clarification if you really want to know...

i believe i'm here more for comic relief and entertainment than anything else as i am a mod for the BTS forums. i dont want to warn anyone, i dont want to do anything to anyone but amuse you and entertain you. its a light hearted board and i will treat it as such. i am still a mod and i might have to do mod duties from time to time but i have the non official title of BTS cruise director, you figure out why i'm a mod. i have a thread in chit chat about my mod status and me being the cruise director, feel free to read it and post or U2U me. i'm a member (ok a clown) first and a moderator second.

i try to be as impartial as i can be, whether you believe this or not is irrelevent, i try as much as possible to remain objective and neutral.

i'm here to help and have fun.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Moderator selection.

More than anything else, we try to develop a mixture of staff that is as broad as the board membership. Mister Monkey was picked because we simply needed another inane joker... Netchicken was feeling awfully alone. And we also needed someone to restock the cooler. Nans was nice and all, but all she bought was wine, no beer. Which reminds me, Monkey, we still need about two more cases.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by William
Moderator selection.

More than anything else, we try to develop a mixture of staff that is as broad as the board membership. Mister Monkey was picked because we simply needed another inane joker... Netchicken was feeling awfully alone. And we also needed someone to restock the cooler. Nans was nice and all, but all she bought was wine, no beer. Which reminds me, Monkey, we still need about two more cases.

:::digs into his pockets:::

uh...i dont get paid until next week. you can have my pocket lint in the mean time. or the lint from my belly button. better yet i have a 2 for sale. 2 for one and both are free. take em, they're yours!

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I'll lend you some cash Mr Monkey.

Just, remember that the upstairs cupboard in the mod house is locked for good reason, and that you need to keep TC away from the gun room when the beer cooler is open... or empty.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Hey, that's no fair, David, it's been months since I've gotten drunk and shot up the TV set in the break room!

And just to clarify, while I was going for a cold one the other day I overheard Netty telling Simon that he liked to "spank the monkey" and he wanted the prankster to be given a key. Now, I don't know what all that means, but the next thing I knew TPM was on the inside of the Employees Only door heading toward Netty's room with a fistfull of VCR tapes.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Hey, that's no fair, David, it's been months since I've gotten drunk and shot up the TV set in the break room!

And just to clarify, while I was going for a cold one the other day I overheard Netty telling Simon that he liked to "spank the monkey" and he wanted the prankster to be given a key. Now, I don't know what all that means, but the next thing I knew TPM was on the inside of the Employees Only door heading toward Netty's room with a fistfull of VCR tapes.

:bash:

:shk:

giving the new guy a hard time....figures!

i fart in your general direction.

now if you'll excuse me...
:w: i'mgoing to drink away my pain.

you hurt my feelings!

:::runs back to BTS and slams door:::

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Darn, I did that wrong. I was supposed to sell the story to ATS News Network. As it stands, the evil clown is just going to put out a hit on my stupid hide and I'll die penniless in a puddle of beer. What a sad state.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 01:56 PM
link   
WE all know who bunks with Apricot

[Edited on 9-11-2003 by Firebird]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join