It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIT Development May Replace Adhesive Bandages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Adhesive bandages might become a thing of the past, thanks to
researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Hong-
Kong University who have developed a simple biodegradable liquid
that can stop bleeding in rodents within seconds.

When the liquid, composed of protein fragments called peptides, is
applied to an open wound, the peptides self-assemble into a gel that
seals the wound and stops bleeding.

Eventually, the gel breaks down into amino acids, the building blocks
of proteins, that can be used by surrounding cells for tissue repair.

SOURCE:
LiveScience.com

This is a very cool development, not only does it stop belleding in
about 15 seconds, but it's also biodegradable on spot.
I can definately see this replacing bandaids.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Very cool - wonder how strong and durable it is. I wonder if it wold have to be 'protected' by a band-aid like piece of material on top of it!

TD

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
If I'm not mistaken, this is a project that was funded in part by money from the military. I do know that they were interested in battlefield medicine and in saving lives by quick repair of trauma.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
There was a product like this available about thirty years ago. I believe it was called Liquid Bandage. I cut my hand once at work and went to the office and grabbed the bottle and applied it to the rather deep cut to my finger. I swear I momentarily lost consciousness, it stung so bad. Cuts were pretty common in this work, but I never used that product again. It was way worse than alcohol.

Actually, New Skin was the product. Apparently, it's still available.

New-Skin Antiseptic Liquid Bandage

I think it hurt so bad because I wasn't expecting it, but it's an experience I'll never forget.

Google Search

[edit on 2006/10/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
If I'm not mistaken, this is a project that was funded in part by money from the military. I do know that they were interested in battlefield medicine and in saving lives by quick repair of trauma.

Hey Byrd

I know that we now use cyano-acrylate instead of sutures in a lot of simple 'flap' procedures in perio surgery, and also in simple facial cuts. very useful on kids.

This sounds something different and, like you say, a bit military.

BTW...did anyone find out what happened to that 'off label' use of emergency clotting drugs on British troops in Afghanistan/Iraq? You've fired some neurones with that post.

TD

PS Ah, apparently not - Factor VIIa in point of fact, not 'nanotechnology', whatever that is.

guardian story

[edit on 13-10-2006 by TaupeDragon]

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
There was a product like this available about thirty years ago. I believe it was called Liquid Bandage. I cut my hand once at work and went to the office and grabbed the bottle and applied it to the rather deep cut to my finger. I swear I momentarily lost consciousness, it stung so bad. Cuts were pretty common in this work, but I never used that product again. It was way worse than alcohol.

Actually, New Skin was the product. Apparently, it's still available.

New-Skin Antiseptic Liquid Bandage

Yeah, I think the New Skin is a cyanoacrylate, or something along those lines, rather than the 'new product'

Here's a link to the fun you can have with superglue and wound healing.

superglue

I know in the mouth a bleeding site is often stopped with oxidized cellulose or collagen (dead cow, which isn't too popular these days). A spray that works like that described would be *way* cool. Time to go look for stuff!

TD

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Well here's the link to brain regeneration, but I don't see anything else under the guys name in pubmed to do with this spray - maybe it hasn't been processed in yet.

regeneration

Some sort of nano-technology self-assembling scaffold.

I'm so out of my depth I can fish with lights sticking out of their heads....

PS Did a search on the British soldiers taking blood-clotting drugs which are highly experimental, didn't see it on ATS, so here's the link.

guinea pigs

Probably not strictly to NICE guidelines, but if someone is bleeding to death from massive trauma, what are the options?

top topics

join