It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carrot Juice Paralyzes Two Canadians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Two Canadians have been paralyzed after ingesting carrot juice contaminated with botulism. Several brands of carrot juice with "best-before" dates of November 11, have been removed from shelves because of the contamination. Even though one company recalled their product a week ago, some retailers still had the product on the shelves a week later.

www.localnewswatch.com
Toronto Public Health officials said the carrot juice was purchased in Toronto and the paralyzed patients are from the Toronto area.

Bolthouse Farms 100 percent Carrot Juice, Earthbound Farm Organic Carrot Juice and President's Choice Organics 100 percent Pure Carrot Juice with a best-before date of Nov. 11 were ordered off shelves after four cases of botulism were linked to toxic carrot juice in the United States.

Botulism attacks the junction where the nerves send their messages to the muscles, which causes paralysis. In severe cases, in which the breathing muscles are paralyzed, patients need to rely on a ventilator to breathe for them.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

These kinds of contaminations are hardly unheard of, but the recent spate of incidents certainly leads one to wonder if there is indeed a conspiracy afoot. No evidence for such has surfaced or at least publicized, but I'm getting nervous because I like my vegetables.

[edit on 2006/10/10 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   
That botulism has a Long shelf life, and although it has is more easily traceable (DNA) it is a handy little agent.

Organic producers of certain juices have long been plagued by it however, due to certain effects of pasturization, many opt to find an alternative way to ensure their product is both safe for consumption AND unaltered by the pasterurization processes...

Enter botulism. We had the same thing several years ago with an organic apple juice manufacturer...

It is interesting that the timing is on the heels of the recent E-coli outbreak...

Botulism does offer a traceable DNA though and can be tracked relatively easily back to the source...providing of course that the source is a public "entity". Have no doubt there are sources within the gov laboratories that could not be traced...

I too love my veggies...does make you ponder...

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Even worse there was still some on store shelves here in TO as late as Sunday. Nasty - shuts down the peripheral nervous system like a bi-lateral stroke or a news announcer's forehead. Hope there are no more victims of this completely avoidable example of how a food supply is so fragile.

Victor K.

41'

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
The neurological damage is brutal as well and that to the nervouse system...unbelievable that they "missed" some and they remained on the shelves...

Our food processing is extremely fragile...with one single product going through numerous seperate processes (most automated) from beginning to end...an accidental or intentional infection could occur at anearly any stage undetected. That is a scary proposition for certain.

Automation keeps our costs down and production up, but it does open us up to error and or deliberate tampering.

Hope no more people become ill and they can trace everything back to the source contaminate.

Also hoping it wasn't deliberate....

new topics

top topics

join