It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Naturally Recording Rocks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Hi everyone, welcome to my first post! ;]

I was recently trying to explain a theory that I've heard people use to debunk ghost activity.

Apparently, certain types of rocks have this quality to produce an echo of a sound that happened years ago. They explain that this could be the source of auditory ghost phenomena.

Does anyone have any links or information about rocks or minerals that naturally record sound? I can't find any info on it, although I have seen it referenced in several forums on the web. Maybe Google just wasn't my friend that day.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 02:12 AM
link   
No. I would venture to go so far as to say that no such phenomenon exists. Here's why: When sound travels, if it collides wth any denser form of matter, it simply turns into vibrations, which disperse over the area.

To record sounds, the rocks would need the ability to capture and hold the sounds. Assuming that that were possible, why would it hold the sound for so long, only to let it go when someone just happens to be nearby? The odds of something like that happening are beyond astronomical. However, odds being odds, it could be possible, albeit extremely unlikely.

TheBorg

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 02:33 AM
link   

No. I would venture to go so far as to say that no such phenomenon exists.

I tend to disagree on this. I've heared this theory (explained in depth) several times.

Not so much rocks, but sounds at specific frequencies around certain environmental conditions can produce similar results.

I can't find any info on it... maybe Google just wasn't my friend that day.

I'll do some searching.

EDIT: Welcome to ATS! I hope your stay is if anything, educational.

[edit on 25-01-2004 by Gear]

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Just not possible.

The time delay is the extra distance divided by the speed of sound.

We would be talking about a major delay in the echo.
Check out:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gear
I tend to disagree on this. I've heared this theory (explained in depth) several times.

Not so much rocks, but sounds at specific frequencies around certain environmental conditions can produce similar results.
[edit on 25-01-2004 by Gear]

But to "record" sounds from years ago, just to "play" them at a later date? Sounds virtually impossible to me. Doesn't it to you?

TheBorg

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I believe Airrikka may have either been missinformed or just worded things badly. The sounds are not 'recorded' as 'sounds'. Rather the vibrations of 'sound' are 'recorded' or stored in certain objects. (-Airrikka said rocks.)

What is sound? Sound is a word we use to describe how the ear and brain perceive molecules vibrating at certain frequencies.
Common knowledge is that Dogs can hear sounds at different frequencies that we cannot hear.
Dolphins and bats 'feel' their own sounds, transmitted and bounced off surrounding.
Sounds cannot be made in space, where there are no air molecules avaliable to bounce off.
Sound travels further in water than it does in air.
What was the point of me saing that? Well sound is extremely flexible. What makes it so hard to believe that sounds cannot be stored and 're-played' at a later time.
No-doubt you have heared of EVP. EVP is Electronic Voice Phenomena. Basically A machine is used to pick up sounds that were not supposed to still exist. IE voices of the deceased. The voices have been stored in electrical in the air. If it's possible for sounds to be stored in electrical currents and played later using machines, then why can't sounds be stored in solid objects, and released when certain conditions are met?

Anyway, you should also look into Infrasound. You might be supprised to see how the human brain reacts to infrasounds.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gear
I believe Airrikka may have either been missinformed or just worded things badly. The sounds are not 'recorded' as 'sounds'. Rather the vibrations of 'sound' are 'recorded' or stored in certain objects. (-Airrikka said rocks.)

Exactly. That is what these people are saying, but the way that I've seen them explain it is in the terms that I used. I thought that would maybe ring a few bells for people that way. BTW, thanks for the welcome, Gear!

Originally posted by TheBorg
But to "record" sounds from years ago, just to "play" them at a later date? Sounds virtually impossible to me.

Some people said that a possible way these stored sounds are released again is by disturbances of the rock, like construction in the area. But wouldn't such a disturbance have an effect on any existing vibration the rock is harboring? So voices would get distorted...? The sound would be warped...? I don't know. It's a rather crackheaded theory.

I doubt it's a real phenomenon, but there's not enough information on the subject to construct an opinion in either direction. On the other hand, maybe it's so absurd that there's just no one studying it?

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I'll ask my sister (an audiologist) if she's heard anything about it.

Although... She deals with ears and not rocks. Worth a shot.

top topics

join