It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pyramid of Sun to Fire Laser Beam at Aliens!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
In what is to be part of Yahoo's "Time Capsule" project, a digitized series of information broadcast onto the Pyramid of the Sun at Teotihuacan, near Mexico City, will be beamed into space in an effort to try and contact intelligent life outside our planet. Everyone will have a chance to submit media (sounds, pictures, writing, video, etc) to this broadcast, which will take place on October 25, 2006.

www.cnn.com
Starting Tuesday, enthusiasts from around the world have a chance to submit text, images, video and sounds that reflect human nature to be included in the message.

Those contributions -- part of media company Yahoo's "Time Capsule" project -- will be digitalized and beamed with a laser into space Oct. 25 from the Pyramid of the Sun at Teotihuacan, now an archeological site near Mexico City.

Yahoo said it would project selected time capsule submissions onto the symbolic site. This content would be broadcast directly onto the 216-foot tall pyramid, viewable via a simultaneous worldwide webcast and sent into space through a light beam.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, regardless of whether or not it works, props to Yahoo for creating an opportunity for all of us to get in on the action and submit information for broadcast. Having an interest in Ancient Meso-American culture myself, I'm particularly pleased with the location, shrouded in mystery as it is. This should be a rather impressive event.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any other references to this story at all. I believe Yahoo may be holding the submission site address in reserve till they officially open it up, which is hopefully soon. In the meantime, here's a couple of links about similar topics.

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org
voyager.jpl.nasa.gov

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
sounds a little crazy to me

if aliens are watching they could view it as anything
i think these sorts of projects a damn stupid
im of the p.o.v tht aliens havent actually come down and spoken to us the general public as they are scared of our pointy things and bangy things we should be just as cautious of upsetting them

remind me of 14 year old goths who mess around with ouiga (sp?) boards and have no clue what there doing
if you dont understand it
dont play with it!

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I think it's very cool project/idea.

I mean even if it amounts to nothing but random data traveling
through space, imagine if a civilization only say 13 lightyears
were to receieve it, it wouls show that humanity is'nt comprised
of a bunch of warmongering zealots.

Is there a site that allows you to contribute data for it online?

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Oh, please, WHY WOULD YOU?

A laser is very thin. A laser will lose its intensity. If a laser were to hit even a tiny asteroid what's left of the data would be unrecoverable. A laser must hit a specific receiver.

For all we know, we could be getting hit with hundreds of info-lasers every day and not know about it. If we don't have receivers covering every square inch of our planet why should some other civilization?

This just sounds like some sort of scam, even if it goes ahead. But I must admit, the fact that you can submit your own stuff to be sent is pretty cool . . . even through nothing's going to happen to it. How much is it costing in total, anyone?

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
You know, you would think that Yahoo would have a link to this somewhere on their site, or at least that it would show up in a search like "yahoo laser", but nope... the only link I find is on CNN. How great is that, to have the alleged opportunity to put stuff in a laser beam we're going to fire out into space, and yet provide no actual way to get the info from point A to point B.... mrrrrrrr...

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Here are some links to other websites and news providers carrying the story.

Information Week

Reuters

CNET

And here is the Yahoo site where you can make your contribution.

But I still can't find any technical info on how they plan to beam a lazer into space;as Watch_the_Rocks has pointed out, a lazer projected farther than a few meters without some type of focusing receiver will just continue to difuse, like any other light, until it is unrecognizable as a lazer. You'd think that sites like CNET and Information Week, which are so technically oriented, would catch this or explain it.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Well, I don't know where all the buzz about lazers and aliens came from but according to Yahoo this is all about creating a time capsule that will be preserved by American Folkways in Washington DC. There is no mention of lazers or aliens or even the Pyramid of the Sun. According to Yahoo, all contributions, whether photos, music, videos. etc, are to be digitized in such a manor as to provide the informatgion for future generations, but no matter how much I search, I can not find word one about lazers into space, etc. Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Well I would say the title to this thread was a little deceptive. I was expecting star wars.

Anyway, so they don't say where they going to aim this laser. It is kind of stupid unless you send it where there is a high probability of ET.

And why wait when you can do this yourself in your own back yard? When we are out stargazing, we use laser pointers all the time. You could send your own Morse coded message by hand.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Heh... sorry about the deceptive title. Technically, it is correct though... but I mean, come on, how often do you get a combination of Elder Gods, Pyramids, Lasers, and Aliens, all on a credible news site like CNN, all in one story!

Of course, the fact that it's so hard to find ANY concrete facts such as the questions regarding where we're pointing, what's receiving, and so forth, I think it's fair to say this is basically one big publicity stunt.

UNLESS...

...and this is a big IF... but if they are pointing it at Voyager I as sort of an update package, or to some other deep space probe, that might explain a few things. Actually it would make a lot of sense to fire laser-based media updates to probes already out there, to update content. After all, it might take 20 years for a probe to leave the solar system, but only a couple of days for the light to reach the probe... that way the probes can be kept up to date until they're too far off to send a packet.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
thelibra-
PLease read my two posts above. Per the Yahoo site, itself, there is no mention Whatsoever of any laser or pyramid or beaming data intpo space. It is intended as a Time Capsule which will be held by American Folkways in Washington DC for future posterity. Where the idea of the pyramid and the laser came from and how they ended up on CNN, et al, is anyone's guess.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormrider
thelibra-
PLease read my two posts above. Per the Yahoo site, itself, there is no mention Whatsoever of any laser or pyramid or beaming data intpo space. It is intended as a Time Capsule which will be held by American Folkways in Washington DC for future posterity. Where the idea of the pyramid and the laser came from and how they ended up on CNN, et al, is anyone's guess.

No, I read your post. However, according to CNN it's part of the Time Capsule project, not the focus of it...

...still, you're right, it seems really really wierd that there's no mention of the laser whatsoever.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Seems Mexico is not comfortable with Yahoo's Pyramid scheme... a link:

www.cbc.ca...

Their not gonna do it... Yahoo?

Victor K.

41'

[edit on 13-10-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Gutted man,i was just getting ready to make a submission to yahoo...bummer.The ATS tech crowd should get a project together and show pesky Yahoo whos the Daddy!

Come on folks,lets all send greeting/warnings/any media into space.Tell the universe about ATS.
You guys are right though,a laser isn`t the greatest method by a long shot.Maybe a scalar transmission,or Infra Red pulses?
Any ideas Subject Matter Experts?

I`d love to send a clip of my dog,doctored so hes speaking english...that would fox them!

apc

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
They're going to nail some Reptilian pilot in the eye and undoubtedly start an interstellar war. All over some pesky humans with a souped up laser pointer. Bah!

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
wow thats so stupid, an alienlife form wouldnteven know what to do with the raw info they dont know how we encrypt code into a picture,there prob way beyonf out technology- taht would be like us waiting aroundfor a telegraph from space

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Do they understand how many years this light beam would have to be travelling to hit anything we haven't already declared uninhabited? Most of us would be dead by then.. 300+ years from now.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Gutted man,i was just getting ready to make a submission to yahoo...bummer.

Whaaa? Grrr... You got a link to the story that explains why?
That angers me. You'd think they'd have, oh, I dunno, CLEARED IT WITH MEXICO FIRST... but I guess not. Not only is that irresponsible of Yahoo, but it's crap reporting as well... In fact, who brought this story to ATS in the first pla---oh...er...umm... I mean... Shame on Yahoo!

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Just this one friend,sorry.Im well cheesed off too.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
That article on Mexico not allowing it to go on...haha good. That place is sacred not some theme park. Here is the link to the yahoo site.

timecapsule.yahoo.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by elab
That article on Mexico not allowing it to go on...haha good. That place is sacred not some theme park. Here is the link to the yahoo site.

I gotta say i agree with you there elab,even though i love the idea with trying to send messages into space,maybe this place was chosen for silly sensationalistic reasons by yahoo.A better place would be the top of everest,oh maybe high tech equipment would fail up there...i dunno. where do you rekon would be a good place?
I still think we should try to send an ATS message into space...come on experts/tech wizards/john lear /3 amigos etc.
How can we do it?
Lets try.
I will help with stuff if i can.Although all i can offer you is my time and enthusiasm.I am no expert.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join