It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea says talks or "a nuclear missile"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
It's not that we don't want negotiations, but we want the six-party negotiations that include Japan, China, South Korea and other nearby nations. Whenever we've had bilateral talks and deals with NK, NK broke them. This way, it won't just be us that look foolish when NK breaks an agreement, most importantly China will too.

[edit on 10/10/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
So did this 'unnamed NK official' actually specify whom they would launch their missile at? I can foresee the NeoCons using this opportunity to nuke themselves and blame it on NK. Can't let all those FEMA camps go to waste.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Please talk.. talk .. talk..
lives are at stake..

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by freakyty
So did this 'unnamed NK official' actually specify whom they would launch their missile at? I can foresee the NeoCons using this opportunity to nuke themselves and blame it on NK. Can't let all those FEMA camps go to waste.

he wasn't threatening to actually launch a missle at a country...
just a test, that would give him more bragging rights...

not to mention... open shop for his black market arms sales...

N. Korea scares me, because they have been a useful tool of China for far too long... and now they are starting to become a problem for China... an embarrasing one.

When confronted by a tool, that does not act the way it should, it becomes a sacrificial tool... one that can be used one more time only (usually as a hammer)...

how best could China make use of its embarrassment?
it could use it to distract foreign interests, while it made a move on taiwan...

so net result-
North Korea is sacrificed, to be the next Chinese republic (to rebuild after the war)
Taiwan is overtaken
and the US can only complain, as the huge freighters of Chinese goods pour into port, and our Banks sit waiting for the crunch...
that leaves a war torn South Korea as a vulnerable target of badly needed "Chinese aid"

My god, I hope the Chinese leadership haven't read "Art of War"
, they probably have though... whatcha think?

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
My take on this?
I think NK is acting as another state's proxy by action and as psychotic as Kim may be, he might not have anything to lose and be willing to sacrifice his entire country to a nuclear exchange if he so much fires the missile.
But here's the interesting part....1) They just tested the bomb 2) They claim they're going to fire it...and this was at least 2 days prior to that threat.
My question: How fast did that take them to test it and then load another one up onto a payload? Do we know how it's going to be delivered?
What IF AQ's suitcase nukes are going to be the 'illusion' to be created for NK's "attack"?
I strongly suspect that NK is acting as a decoy to distract the U.S. away from Iran as a personal favor. Although I'm aware that Amadinejad does'nt like Saddamn Hussein as was mentioned on his televised interview and viewed him as a murderer and a failure.
I do remember very, very well in a small article sometime in 2000, right before Bush Jr. got the Presidency for the first time, Putin was voted and selected to lead Russia and made some trips...one of them was a visit to NK. Something to think about. It might not be China that's puppeteering NK...but parts of the Russian elements (if not all).

EDIT: by the way...NK never stated WHERE they would fire the missile at...but they do have 3 options: 1) Japan 2) SK 3) Taiwan---to do China's dirty favor.

I wish I could find the article by the Associated Press but it's been several years.
And what EXACTLY does Kim want from the USA? What is he trying to achieve by having talks with us? Food? Energy? Trade talks?
And if we call his bluff, we could be playing 'russian roulette' with NK...so he may be insane but a part of him may know what he's doing.
Do I take this lightly? No. I find it serious enough but am suspicious of the testing. If there is radiation, then we should hit NK or let the Chinese do the 'dirty work' for us.
There's more to it than meets the eye..this much I can sense.

[edit on 10-10-2006 by Sanctum1972]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Go back to the 90's and see the result of first party talks in an attempt to appease N.K. demands. Clinton send Madam Notsobrite over and we give them the nuclear technology and facility along with giant food shipments. Once again the USA helps a country but is considered the bad guy. Just look at how much aid has been given to Arab, African, South American, Asian, and even European countries. No other country can come close to matching but we are still the bad guy. We have tried to appease this man face to face and he has spit in our face over and over. It's time for N.K.'s neighbors to get involved and the USA needs to step back. As I said before, the minute they try something hostile against an ally N.K. regime will no longer exist within 15 minutes courtesy of a ballistic submarine.

I thought he threatened to launch a nuclear missle on South Korea not to test a nuclear missle.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by on_yur_6
Go back to the 90's and see the result of first party talks in an attempt to appease N.K. demands. Clinton send Madam Notsobrite over and we give them the nuclear technology and facility along with giant food shipments. Once again the USA helps a country but is considered the bad guy. Just look at how much aid has been given to Arab, African, South American, Asian, and even European countries. No other country can come close to matching but we are still the bad guy. We have tried to appease this man face to face and he has spit in our face over and over. It's time for N.K.'s neighbors to get involved and the USA needs to step back. As I said before, the minute they try something hostile against an ally N.K. regime will no longer exist within 15 minutes courtesy of a ballistic submarine.

I thought he threatened to launch a nuclear missle on South Korea not to test a nuclear missle.

I do remember the 1990s and the Clinton admin having talks with NK and at that time, the assets were frozen. But my point was about Putin making his round right after his first election as President by Yeltin. When he began his work in office, he visited NK. A small article in my newspaper picked the story up back in 1999 or 2000, give or take. I often wondered why Putin was in NK in the first place and he visited other countries after that.
One thing you have to give the Russians credit for.....they're slick.
Especially when it comes to chess.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong

Originally posted by freakyty

Don't be surprised
. After all Sun Tzu was a Chinese general and had a hand in the famous book. I'm very sure the chinese in general are quite literate on this subject matter and use it effectively. As well as other military and businesses. It's a book not just for the military mind but for everyone which is applicable in most situations.
Iran's employing some of those techniques somewhat and even the rogue states.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Russia and China both have a common interest in N.K. Encouraging the dictator behind the scenes while standing before the world's media and declaring this an outrage. Well, if it is an outrage do something about it! But they won't. You can talk all you want and pass meaningless resolution after resolution in the U.N. but it all means nothing to Russia or China. They would love to see the USA spread it's military even thinner while taxing our economy even more. Russia, China, and the E.U. would all like to take over as the world's superpower and that can come about only if the USA trips on it's own sword. I guarantee that if the USA is simulataneously involved in military conflicts with Afghanistan, Iraq, N.K., and Iran, China will claim Taiwan and possibly more. I believe we are on the edge of a true WW3 and a dominoe effect will soon begin due to little evil dictators being allowed to do what they want while the world does nothing about it. Remind anyone of pre WW2 while everyone, including the USA watched Hitler thumb his nose and rebuild the German military?

Going to get ugly soon!

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
nothing will happen until NK has back up nukes.

They would not shoot one off and have it fail by any way and then jsut be a sitting duck.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
It's not that we don't want negotiations, but we want the six-party negotiations that include Japan, China, South Korea and other nearby nations. Whenever we've had bilateral talks and deals with NK, NK broke them. This way, it won't just be us that look foolish when NK breaks an agreement, most importantly China will too.

[edit on 10/10/2006 by djohnsto77]

Exactly.

Why is it that all these people calling for direct talks don't realize that they are actually calling for appeasement.

The Clinton administrations record of talking with NK has been a total failure, so exactly how would trying it again be expected to work?

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
So are America world police going to invade this dicatorship whom threaten to nuke people and have sucessfully carried out a nuke test? They have weapons of Mass destruction and Bush himself called them part of the axis of evil. Its said often enough how these nations cannot be allowed to have such weapons so will the U.S do something about it.

Hawks who supported the Iraq and afgan war get off your @ss and join up. Help your teenagers join up, drive them to the recruitment office now! Write to your congress man and tell him you want the US to invade and save you from a memeber of the axis of evil. Get out your armchair and back up what your mouth has been running. A clear threat is in sight, a whole country not a hidden group of people. Clear weapons that are a threat to you have been verified as real by the international community so get to it!!! Save the people of North Korea like you saved the People of Iraq, spread your democracy, your freedom from tyranny. Do it before North Korea sell nukes to terrorists.

If there was Oil in N Korea your Coperate whore of a President would be there in by now. Shock and awe, bag the swag!

[edit on 10-10-2006 by 7th_Chakra]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong

I think you've been reading too many spy/fantasy novels. What you're suggesting is a huge international conspiracy designed to weaken/attack America. It's funny, but to many here it is insane to think of our government being able to coordinate an attack on our own soil. Many of those same people seem to have no problem thinking of a multi-nation, multi-government, multi-ideology, conspiracy to attack America. Good old American paranoia is again getting out of control.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   
America = Big kid who talks tough around smaller guys, but when around someone who will hit back becomes pleasent...

War is never an answer - violence is always inexcusable. So while I like the idea of talks with NK(If for no other reason than to leave Iraq and shore up some home support) it is really telling who only talk the talk.

If the US doesn't attack NK, they will be seen as cowards, and hypocrites, and soft. If America does hit NK, they look more like an empiralistic force, which will probably lead Russia and China to worry about their soviegnty. That threat, would do more to bring about a first strike from either, or both, and that would be bad for everyone.

I hope that calmer heads prevail, but I am not counting on it.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
Even if we assume for a second that they have another nuclear device, they certainly lack the means of delivery.

...Experts say that Pyongyang is developing long-range missiles to have the capability one day to deliver a nuclear bomb, but that it is years away from acquiring such a weapons system.

Source.

[for the umpteenth time]

Please note the original source for the above is Reuters, before you go pouring scorn on it.

Did they not say not so long ago that NK was years away from the bomb? Seems we were wrong on that. Once you have a working device, it shouldn't be too much of a problem to shrink it down to a 1 ton warhead.

They already have the missiles, bar the one that failed, but then, haven't the west had multiple failures of otherwise successful rockets as well? Take Arianne for example, loads of problems at first but now a premier launch vehicle for heavy lifting into orbit.

I don't think the NK's are that far away from developing a bomb that they can strap to a Taepongdong. 6 months to a year, I reckon.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The US wants to attack Iran, it does not care about NK. It isn't because North Korea has an army or not, it is the fact that they have nothing but millions of impoverished people, and Iran has one of the freshest oil stores in the world. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
The US wants to attack Iran, it does not care about NK. It isn't because North Korea has an army or not, it is the fact that they have nothing but millions of impoverished people, and Iran has one of the freshest oil stores in the world. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

OK, then so we are all back on the same page then? Bush lied about Iraq, and is lying about Iran. It has nothing to do with anythign other than oil?

Sending 2700 servicemen and women to their death for lies (Not being misinformed, not bad intell - they did it for the oil, not Saddam, or Terrorism, or what have you) isn't that grounds for treason? What is the punishment for Treason?

*waits for Bush to change the laws on that one as well as he has done to the war crimes that his admin has done

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

Exactly, that's why Bush said hes committed to diplomacy even though he wont have talks with them.

He either comes out of this as a liar or a fool. Of course most of us believe him to be both anyway.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
man i just no if stuff gets out of control im going commando.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Well this thread was about N.K. threatening to launch a nuclear missle if their demands were not met. But once again it has turned into USA bashing and they are going to attack this country and possibly yours next. Geez people, wake up. N.K. should not have missles because they are terrorizing their neighbors with them and demand to be heard or else.

Please for those on here that think N.K. should have nuclear weapons because the USA does explain to me how you can even rationalize or compare a regime that has killed millions, attacked S.K., and starves it's own citizens to spend more on the military. The U.N. tried to intervene with the majority of asistance coming from the USA in 1950 because why? Maybe we should have given nukes to N.K. then because we all know they are such a peace loving nation. GEEEEZZZZZZ

It just rubs me the wrong way to see the world's countries come together at the UN and pass resolutions condeming countries like N.K. and Iraq because of their hostile actions. If you are one to pass judgement on the USA for standing up to muderous dictators that have been condemned by the UN you have no moral compass at all. Should the world standy by and do nothing about countries like Iran and N.K. who develop weapons that can kill millions instantly while threatening to eliminate an entire country like Israel or Japan. Genocide should never be allowed to happen again but unfortunately the UN has proven how worthless it is by ignoring Africa.

I'm not proposing the USA attack N.K. but see my previous post. The USA should ignore the demands and allow the neighbors to resolve. Just ensure little Kim Jong knows what's coming if he attempts to harm anyone in the region.

Rant over, nothing to see here.........

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join