It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea says talks or "a nuclear missile"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:12 AM
link   

NORTH Korea has warned it could fire a missile with a nuclear warhead unless the US acts to resolve its standoff with the world's newest nuclear power.

Pyongyang drew international condemnation yesterday for what it said was its first nuclear weapons test, carried out in defiance of UN warnings.

In a report sure to send more shivers around the globe, the South Korean news agency Yonhap today quoted an unnamed North Korean official as saying: “We hope the situation will be resolved before an unfortunate incident of us firing a nuclear missile comes.

“That depends on how the US will act.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.news.com.au...

While we are stilling debating over if it was a nuke or not, North Korea has now threaten to fire a missile (with a nuclear warhead) unless it gets direct talks with America.

More attention seeking attitudes by North Korea *yawns*

Plus, i forgot to mention...

China has cancelled the leave of its troops along the border with North Korea as it expects "tensions" to rise.

[edit on 10-10-2006 by infinite]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Yup, for sure. Agree with your last line.
Are we even sure they did test a nuke? It was only equal to 500-1000 tons of TNT, not all that hard to come by if you're a pretty major local military power.

And anyway, we saw the results of the missile tests . . . chances are the warhead's going to fall in their own country anyway

edit: the english language eludes and confuses

[edit on 10/10/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I do think the US should have talked to them before...a few years ago. But now, the US should not talk to them. Why? Because I don't think anyone should be threatened.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   
In my line of work, I've found that you can only ignore a problem for just so long.

And North Korea is tired of being ignored.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:49 AM
link   

South Korean news agency Yonhap today quoted an unnamed North Korean official as saying: “We hope the situation will be resolved before an unfortunate incident of us firing a nuclear missile comes.

That sounds like total BS to me. Can this be verified? I'm sure South Korea is itching for the US to take out their close enemy.

[edit on 10-10-2006 by Xeros]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Oh for the love of Pete ...
What a freaky little gnat that N. Korean leader is. Why hasn't someone 'taken care of' him yet? We supposedly have all these great gadgets and stuff. His temper tantrums are really getting on my nerves. Rid the planet of him and we can all get on with life.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 06:12 AM
link   
What a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive.

Bush wants to invade Iran. Bush does NOT want to invade North Korea. But he cannot invade Iran because they might someday make nuclear weapons while North Korea actually has them. Therefor, North Korea is declared not to have really exploded a test nuclear weapon?

yuk yuk yuk

Think this will drive the NK's over the edge?

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
What a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive.

Bush wants to invade Iran. Bush does NOT want to invade North Korea. But he cannot invade Iran because they might someday make nuclear weapons while North Korea actually has them. Therefor, North Korea is declared not to have really exploded a test nuclear weapon?

yuk yuk yuk

Think this will drive the NK's over the edge?

You are making some nice points.. Really made me look anew on how the US government behaves..

But regarding NK - I dont think they will ever fire a nuclear warhead, they are too scared to do it. (And probably dont have resources, especially not to develop a missile that can hit the US) But some part of me really wants them to do it, since the missile will probably just be shot down anyway.. And therefore the major countries has a good reason to invade NK, throw their dictator into the same hole Saddam is in, and restore democracy! And hopefully make a reunion with SK. Removing Kim Il-Jong (Or whatever) can only be a good thing for the people of NK..

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   
But those people are crazy!!!!

If anyone is going to hit the USA, its them!!
This is not to be taken lightly...Unfortunatly, the politics are concentrating on the middle east and not where the real threat might be.

Who was it that said...(some psychic) that the REAL problem to the US and the world would be North Korea and not from anywhere else...I dont recall, but i know i heard it.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 06:53 AM
link   
People said he was crying wolf over testing.

By the looks of it, they called that bluff.. and proved them wrong.

Yet these same people are saying he's simply crying wolf again.

Fool me once.. shame on you.... fool me.... the point is you will never fool me again!

While I dont think hes going to go off nuking someone... I dont see what the harm is in sitting down with this madman, and listening..

we will either come out still thinking he's a madman..
or thinking we might be able to come to common ground and reach an agreement.

What exactly are we going to lose?
China's removing there forces because they believe tensions are going to rise.

That to me says china knows how suicidal and unpredictable this man is..
but obviously predictable enough to know its beneficial to remove your men...

[edit on 10-10-2006 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I agree with all the posts in some way or other.
Like Agit said, NK said they were going to launch missiles and they did, then they said they were going to test their nukes and they did that too.
This guy has no fear nor does he have any sense which makes him very dangerous.
It's a pissing contest at this point. How far does he have to go to get the US attention?

If Bush is to stay consistent in his speechs he is going to now consider if he hasn't done so already Kim a terrorist and according to Bush we will not negotiate with terrorists. Just look at the Iran situation.
He refuses to speak with either country.
It's just now we have a time bomb of a leader on our hands with NK.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Oh for the love of Pete ...
What a freaky little gnat that N. Korean leader is. Why hasn't someone 'taken care of' him yet? We supposedly have all these great gadgets and stuff. His temper tantrums are really getting on my nerves. Rid the planet of him and we can all get on with life.

Myth: Nth Korea is highly unstable and will fall if the right pressure is applied(militarily that is)

Fact: Nth/Sth Korean armies have roughly 2 million men on the border with enough munitions to kill millions of people.

Now tell me why "we have not dealt with him". :@@

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
OK, lets hold live televised talks with this insane little man. Bush should stand up and put it bluntly, "If you harm anyone with your nuclear (nukeular for Bush) weapons you and your regime will only have 15 minutes left on this planet." He should then get up and walk out and leave it at that. The world has given N.K. a lot but this constant bending over backwards (or forwards)
for evil little tyrants to get what they want has to stop. Do not invade, but prevent their technology from getting into the hands like the proposed naval blockade. The world just better not make the same mistake and standby like they did in 1939 as Hitler started rolling over people unopposed. One aggresive move on another country and it's lights out!

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I haven't been too worried about this whole situation. Up until now, I thought he was simply bluffing to gain some sort of concession from the international community. But now, I'm convinced that he's just a madman and there's no rationale to what he's doing.

It takes a special kind of idiot to give a nation with 10,000 nuclear warheads a bulletproof pretext for a pre-emptive strike, but Kim Jong Il pretty much just did it. If he's crazy enough to do that, there's no telling what else he'll do.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
This is not to be taken lightly. He could light up Seoul with a mobile launcher with a small tactical nuke, right? It is all about deception, and distraction. Once those are accomplished, you will know the true intention of the enemy. Never trust an enemy who do not bring a 'solution' to a summit.

Remember also, if Pakistan does not pull in the riens, can you imagine a Taliban influenced government with nuclear weapons? Some action, somewhere needs to be taken, but not by the US alone. Therein lies the problem.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Even if we assume for a second that they have another nuclear device, they certainly lack the means of delivery.

...Experts say that Pyongyang is developing long-range missiles to have the capability one day to deliver a nuclear bomb, but that it is years away from acquiring such a weapons system.

Source.

[for the umpteenth time]

Please note the original source for the above is Reuters, before you go pouring scorn on it.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Myth: Nth Korea is highly unstable and will fall if the right pressure is applied(militarily that is)

Fact: Nth/Sth Korean armies have roughly 2 million men on the border with enough munitions to kill millions of people.

Now tell me why "we have not dealt with him".

Yes, there are over 10 million people living in Seoul, SK which is in artillary range of NK, so it's not so simple to just invade them.

As far as the nuclear bomb is concerned, I think it may have been a plutonium device that only partially worked. Those things are difficult to get to fully detonate since the explosion can happen before all the material is close enough, therefore fuel can be blown apart unused.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I still think it makes more sense for someone to just chop off the head of N.Korea and first see if the threat dies with the man. Seriously. Why all the talk about massive war and bombings ... just one sharpshooter; one poisoned tea bag; one zap from a space lazer ... we have to have these fun little death toys locked away somewhere in D.C.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
Even if we assume for a second that they have another nuclear device, they certainly lack the means of delivery.

...Experts say that Pyongyang is developing long-range missiles to have the capability one day to deliver a nuclear bomb, but that it is years away from acquiring such a weapons system.

Source.

[for the umpteenth time]

Please note the original source for the above is Reuters, before you go pouring scorn on it.

They can deliver the bomb just like the USA did in WW2. They can strap it to an aircraft and fly it in low and fast. Well it was high and semi-fast in WW2.

But yes, they do have the delivery means to put a nuke anywhere within the range of one of their aircraft.

There is no way that they are sophisticated enough yet to shrink the technology down to an artillery shell.

[edit on 10-10-2006 by on_yur_6]

CX

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
If as Bush says the US is 100% behind solving this through diplomacy, could someone remind me why the US has rejected direct talks with NK? Surely "some" talks are better than none? Surely then the 100% figure is slightly inacurate?

The US has again rejected direct talks with North Korea to bring about an end to the nuclear stand-off.

Washington said it would not be intimidated by threats from Pyongyang that it could fire a nuclear-tipped missile at the US unless it moved to halt the crisis.

Source: US reject NK talks

As big as the threat may be, put aside the statement saying that NK could launch a nuke if the US do not hold talks with them. Many say Kim is just bluffing and trying to bully his way into talks anyway, so why does'nt the US talk to them?

Maybe it won't go as NK wants, maybe it won't go the way the US and the rest of the world wants, but thats the nature of talks is'nt it? In the end theres hope you might just get somewhere close to what you want. I believe it's called comprimise?

Yes i know Kim's a total nutjob, but he's asked for direct talks, so why don't we see what they want instead of puffing out our chests until someone chucks over a big one? I'm not calling for being blackmailed or coming across as the soft touch, just exhaust all avenues if they are offered.

Or are we already aware of what NK's demands will be and theres a good reason for rejecting talks?

CX.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join