It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Eventuality of Supraregional States.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
After reading the various threads about the NAU (North American Union),
and noting how many people are against such an idea, I started to think
about how the future will inevitably be, and did some research.

As it stands now we (humanity and our nations) our becoming more
interconnected every day, and becoming more of a global society.

Because of this, atleast partially, the old uber nationalism of the mid-
twentieth century and before has become considerably less apparent.

This has created a society where, for the most part people don't think
of you or make an opinion about you based on your nationality.
As we have seen in the past, and our seeing today the idea of hundreds
of seperate individual nation-states is becoming less and less useful, and
indeed in some cases a burden.

Because of all of this it is inevitable that we will see the dissapearance
of all the small countries to be replaced by larger regional states, such
as the EU.

Even today one can see the beginnings of this, with the existance of
the; EU, AU, SACN and Arab League.

The point is, that it is einevitable that the existance of hundreds of small
nations will and is being replaced by regional supranational organisations
that will in time most likely become sovereign states unto themselves.

It does'nt matter if you like the idea or not, it's happening, and very little
will stop it. So, I say this to you, instead of wasting your time, energy
and resources trying to prevent the inevitable, invest them in trying to
make these new Superstates as best as they can be.

[edit on 10/9/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I cant comment on any North American Union.
However I would support such a union in Oceania. Given the small populations by global standards and the fact that Aust and NZ share responsibility for regional security an Oceania union would make a lot of sense. An ANZAC currency would be a good starting point. If an Oceania union was laid in fair political terms there would be many econmic benfits as well having an Oceania military force available for deployment.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
However I would support such a union in Oceania. Given the small populations by global standards and the fact that Aust and NZ share responsibility for regional security an Oceania union would make a lot of sense. An ANZAC currency would be a good starting point. If an Oceania union was laid in fair political terms there would be many econmic benfits as well having an Oceania military force available for deployment.

Strangely enough I'd have thought there was already something like
that started.

I've always wondered why New Zealand and Australia don't just
become one country.

In such a union, are you including all the small island nations as
well, or just Australia and New Zealand?

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Strangely enough I'd have thought there was already something like
that started.

There was talk of an common currency some years back going by memory the idea didnt take off due to disagreements over the framework of a common currency.

I've always wondered why New Zealand and Australia don't just
become one country.

Having lived in both countries I have often wondered the same thing. I think the answer lies in the big brother - little brother relationship that the people of Australia and New Zealand have.

In such a union, are you including all the small island nations as
well, or just Australia and New Zealand?

Yeah I would include all the small nations that are having trouble or cant govern themselvs.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 02:34 AM
link   
We already have a One World government, it is the United Nations Organisation. True, it's weak still...

And yes, eventually not only our governments will start to negotiate globally, but also the "average human" (if there is such a thing) will start to think of himself as "earthling"; we are witnessing the decline of nationalism and patriotism in the sense we have known it for millenia - "my country above all". Who cares if I'm Tibetan or Nigerian when I post my opinion on the internet (except when my English is funny)?I don't see the differences between the partitions of cultural identification abolished anytime soon, though. They will be more fragmented, that's all. Just as there will always be Frisians and Bavarians, Texans and New Yorkers, there will be Europeans and Arabs, AMD fans and Intel lovers, Goths and Metalheads, Google believers and Altavista enthusiasts, Zionists and Taoists as well as Italians and Greeks. I believe the network between all of them will start to make the difference: people will start to think like "Northrhine-Westphalia is the place where I live, Paris Saint Germain is the football team I want to see winning, Heavy Metal gives me power, God gives me confidence, English is the language I communicate with, I am of the tribe of vegans, and ATS is where I go to discuss the tidings of my world with humans from other places, other interests and other beliefs. Even when they listen to Hip Hop."

When humans want to fight, we usually do find reasons, be it belief, world view, soccer matches, women or the color of the sky. Nationality will be only one of many concepts to argue about. At least, when we fight on the internet, there's be no bloodshed. That's how the global state of earth will work. A global organism with a digital brain. When was the last time two villages of the western world went to war against each other? It was not so uncommon a few hundred years ago. A few hundred years from now, we won't be fighting national wars anymore, and that's when being Oceanian or not will be just as important for life as having a MySpace account or not.

We have become a "global village", that noun has been coined already and it can't be unthought anymore. Let's just wait until that idea has sunk in, give or take three generations from now.

[edit on 13-10-2006 by Akareyon]

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I was thinking about this thread, and based on existing organi-
zations and ideas, I created a theoretical geopolitical map of
the world 100 years from now.

Future Map.

new topics

top topics

join