It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fourth School Shooting in One Week

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I hear you, Chissler, I really do. And I'm not saying these are bad parents. Apparently, this kid had never been in trouble before. But his backpack was full of indicators. If his parent's aren't monitoring his Internet usage, they should be. People these days sit their kids in front of the TV or computer and they're good to go. Somebody has to be responsible for this child's behavior. Yes, the kid is responsible, but he's not accountable. He's 13. A child. Someone must be accountable for his actions.

That's just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I apologise chissler...you were curteous and polite to me and I was a jerk.... I sincerely apologise to you.

I think the reason kids bring guns into school is that they dont realise that their social problems are not the entire universe that they perceive them to be.

step back into your own mind and persona circa high school or junior high.... if you could elevate your status in your social environment by something like this....would you do it? Perhaps they view it as an end to oppresive social problems.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Was this kid on any medication? Some medication can cause mania in teenagers. Or was he getting bullied mercelessly?

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
I apologise chissler...you were curteous and polite to me and I was a jerk.... I sincerely apologise to you.

Water under the bridge my friend.

I honestly think the only thing that gets a rise out of me is when I hear something about Canadians. Not sure why that is actually. Anyways, I do appreciate your post.

Onwards!

BH,

How do you feel about the Education system itself? Parents are trusting these people with their child for a large part of each day, and you would hope they would contact the parents if certain behaviours are being tracked. Bullying is certainly one thing they have not taken on yet, but even other little indicators like you mentioned this child had.

It is at school when the child is truly themself. We can all create an image for our parents, but around our peers is when we can measure ourselves the greatest. It is at these times the teachers and administrators should be paying close attention to children who may be at risk.

It's a hot topic, who is to blame? The education system? Parents?

I believe both are, and something inside me tells me that the education system is more to blame.

Anyone agree? Disagree? Agree to disagree?

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
BH,

How do you feel about the Education system itself?

If I had children, there's no way I'd send my kids to public school. I think the public school system in this country today sucks.

Parents are trusting these people with their child for a large part of each day,

Another mistake I believe parents are making...

and you would hope they would contact the parents if certain behaviours are being tracked.

Yes, I would hope they would. But I'm not at all sure the school had the authority to notice the signs. Teachers aren't allowed to TOUCH their students, sometimes they can't even break up a fight using their hands. If words don't work, they just have to let the kids fight it out. The government has made extremely stupid blanket rules that tie the hands of school faculty.

It is at these times the teachers and administrators should be paying close attention to children who may be at risk.

I agree. But if the behavior isn't noticed at school, I can't blame the school. They've got enough to do trying to contain a building full of students that they have no authority over.

Let me be clear, it's NOT the teachers I blame for the schools being bad, it's the administration and the government 'programs' (No child left behind, etc) for schools being fairly worthless. The teachers are usually just doing their best with what they have.

I believe both are, and something inside me tells me that the education system is more to blame.

Tell me. What responsibility is the school system shirking that it should be doing? Where do you think they're dropping the ball?

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Tell me. What responsibility is the school system shirking that it should be doing? Where do you think they're dropping the ball?

Well first and foremost, Bullying in school is a major problem. Teachers do have a hefty workload, but I do believe the bullying issue does start with the teachers. Stemming right from comments made in class. If the popular kid pokes fun at the chubby kid in class, or the geek then this should be dealt with quickly.

Saying Boys will be Boys is not enough. Children need to understand how it feels, and understand the impact they actually have on this child or childs that they pick on.

It is true though, the hands of the teachers are tied. Alls they can do is point out the problem, and hope that the administration will deal with it accordingly.

I agree with the statement, The Teachers are not to Blame!

But if they were willing to go the extra mile, and make it their responsibility, they would be doing this generation a tremendous service.

It is naive to think we can squash all forms of bullying, but it would be a shame to not even try.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I definately believe that these kids are getting programed by the tv. then when the time is right the key word is broadcast and they spring into action like attack zombies. between the pharmacological psycotropic drugs these kids are on, the mass microwaving of our atmosphere and the amount of tv kids atch these days.. they are definatly acting on subliminal signals.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Normally I would quickly disagree, but the amount of these massacres is rising each year.

The more we endure, the more of a profile we can see.

I began to take notice when Harris & Klebold were noticeable Doom fans. Their fascination with this game was somewhat disturbing. Constantly creating their own levels which were more and more gruesome.

Some people took notice, while others shrugged it off. But when each tragedy is linked to a certain form of music, television or video game, all of which are linked to death, how can we continue to ignore it?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join