It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fourth School Shooting in One Week

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   
A 13 year old boy entered his school this morning in Joplin, Missouri with a Mac-90 shot gun. He fired a shot into the ceiling before the gun jammed and was arrested.

As reported on CNN:

JOPLIN, Missouri (AP) -- Fascinated by the Columbine bloodbath, a 13-year-old boy in a dark green trench coat and mask carried an assault rifle into his school Monday, pointed it at students and fired a shot into a ceiling before the weapon jammed, authorities said. No one was hurt.

"Please don't make me do this," he was quoted as telling administrators before police arrested him and thwarted what they called a "well thought-out plan" to terrorize his school.

Police said a note in the student's backpack indicated he had planted an explosive in the school, but no bombs were found.

Lt. Geoff Jones said the boy's motives were unclear. School officials said the student had no major disciplinary problems.

The seventh-grader, whose name was not immediately released, pointed the gun at two students inside Joplin Memorial Middle School but was confronted by an administrator who tried to talk him into putting the gun down, Jones said.

The boy refused and fired a shot into the ceiling of an entryway, police said. He tried to continue firing but the rifle jammed, according to Jones. The student then left the building.

www.cnn.com...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Lets look at these key points:

Fascinated by the Columbine bloodbath, a 13-year-old boy in a dark green trench coat

School officials said the student had no major disciplinary problems.

Explain to me how a kid with no priors can suddenly have a gun in his school, popping shots off into the ceiling. Does anyone else grind their teeth thinking how much these children are being victimized in school, and nobody does nothing about it.

Allowing children to be bullied, is opening the door to another school shooting. Thankfully nobody was hurt or killed in this incident.

Its clear this child had no experience with a gun, just a troubled child who was pushed over the edge.

When will this end? How many children have to die before our education and social systems will undergo some sort of change?

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
He and all the school shooters are probebly victims of a school system that honours strange virtues such as unthinking school spirit, and conformity, while other virtues such as curiousity, intelligence, uniqueness, are ridiculed, because they are not of the norm. Perhaps that's what tips over some more sensitive individuals, who are constantly bullied and harrassesd because they don't follow the masses.

[edit on 9/10/06 by MacDonagh]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Well how is curiosity and intelligence frowned upon?

My problem is with the administrations who stand by why children are victimized by their peers, and then have the finger pointed at them when the bubble bursts.

I understand the child itself is to blame, but the administrations have to take some accountability here.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
A 13 year old boy entered his school this morning in Joplin, Missouri with a Mac-90 shot gun.

what exactly is a Mac-90 shot gun?
!!!!!

This is what I love about anti-gun people....they are constantly preaching about gun control and have no clue what they are talking about. At least as far as knowing what kinds of weapons were actually used.

A MAK-90 (K not a C) is an acronym meaning modified AK-1990 and is a RIFLE not a SHOTGUN!

but what do you expect from Canadians who dont even arm their own border guards.
Probably would mistake a muzzleloader for a machine gun and kill someone entering the People's Republic of Canada.....

[edit on 9-10-2006 by XphilesPhan]

[edit on 9-10-2006 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I really could get into a bickering match with you over this, but it is obvious you have some serious maturity issues.

Oh No! I have allowed chissler to be exposed on his lack of knowledge surrounding weapons! Inserted shot gun instead of rifle, oh how embarrassing.

It's members like you, that ruin this site for everybody.

Don't let the door in you in the backside on the way out.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   
how is it possible guns are so easily accessed by kids? I am so glad I live in Australia. I realise that a lot of people were unhappy about the gun buy back scheme, thanks Howard Govt, but at least we dont see this kind of trend...

farout.

JAK

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Way to completely miss the point XphilesPhan, that's actually quite impressive.

Care to actually address any of the points made in the initial post at all, offer any hypothesis on the possible root causes of such incidents or possible steps for future prevention?

Or is your response a smoke screen to hide the fact that you have no valid argument/point whatsoever?

Let's try addressing the topic the rather than posting pedantic ramblings shall we?

Jak

[edit on 10/10/06 by JAK]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I hate when kids can get their hands on weapons and often wonder where the brains of the parents are when this happens.

What I want to know is why the gun was not locked up??? Stupid parents should lock them all up and throw away the keys.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Exactly.

People need to look beyond this child to figure out what went wrong. I may be guilty of looking too past the child, but surely we understand how many contributing factors there have been for this child to of come to this.

I would fully support laws that hold gun owners accountable if their weapons are accessible to children. We need to keep these weapons out of the hands of our children.

Start leaving frogs around the house, allow them to bring them to school again.

A great quote from Jeff Foxworthy:

Kids today are bringing guns to school. Guns to school! When I was a kid we used to bring frogs to school. If someone brought a frog to school today, somebody'd shoot it!

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   

I would fully support laws that hold gun owners accountable if their weapons are accessible to children. We need to keep these weapons out of the hands of our children.

Start leaving frogs around the house, allow them to bring them to school again.

A great quote from Jeff Foxworthy:

Kids today are bringing guns to school. Guns to school! When I was a kid we used to bring frogs to school. If someone brought a frog to school today, somebody'd shoot it!

I particularly liked the frog advice

In Australia, parents can and are legally responsible for their childrens behavior. If a child for example does something to another child...then law of negligence permits parental accountablilty, this is civil action for damages. Even under criminal law, if a child sets fire to a school for eg, parents can be liable (if substantiated the costs of damage)
Seems Aust has it sorted, not entirely but I feel does serve as a deterent.

The presumption of innocence (doli incapax) means that a child at a certain age cannot be guilty of an offence as of course too young to know, but this has now got considerable conditions attached to it. If a child runs away for example, it shows that the child knows what it was doing was wrong. The age in all states in AU is 10 but Tasmania is 8 so children that age and above that age can be charged under criminal law. Its outrageous, but in Florida for eg, (the extreme) we see minors on death row!!

probably gone off and raved
but I agree absolutely in parental responsibility and accountability. US though, probably thwart with constitutional issues as the right to bear arms is firmly entrenched.

*sigh

[edit on 10-10-2006 by NJE777]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Someone or someones are using mindcontrol on these subjects- putting in their heads what they have to do.

What better way to get to the adult population than thru kids?

Something is extremely fishy about all this.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Someone or someones are using mindcontrol on these subjects- putting in their heads what they have to do.

What better way to get to the adult population than thru kids?

Something is extremely fishy about all this.

wow yanno I hadnt even thought about that, but I do know and have seen some pretty awful sublimal messaging. hmmm some of them are really powerful too. Who knows really, perhaps its a blend of contributing factors. That would be an awful thing if it were the case though

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I support the parents being held accountable for their childs actions, but I would not support persecution.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by JAK
Way to completely miss the point XphilesPhan, that's actually quite impressive.
[edit on 10/10/06 by JAK]

Im sorry.,...I just couldnt manage to get past the ignorance of the opening line.

Afterall, isnt the motto "deny ignorance?" well, I denied some ignorance

My point was that many of the people leaning for the anti-gun stance, not that this is what chissler was implying or anything, represent a part of the populatio who are the most ignorant about firearms.

The problem is they need to be educated about firearms as do kids who think grabbing a gun is a solution to their problems.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Im sorry.,...I just couldnt manage to get past the ignorance of the opening line.

Afterall, isnt the motto "deny ignorance?" well, I denied some ignorance

Ignorance?

This is not a thread on guns. It was a discussion on what is pushing students to bring guns to school. The gun itself is irregardless for the conversation. Your post did nothing but install ignorance.

My point was that many of the people leaning for the anti-gun stance, not that this is what chissler was implying or anything, represent a part of the populatio who are the most ignorant about firearms.

The problem is they need to be educated about firearms as do kids who think grabbing a gun is a solution to their problems.

And well trying to get that point across in a Social Issues forum is what we all call a Troll.

Officers arrested the teen behind a nearby building. Police described his weapon as a Mac-90, a replica of an AK-47 assault rifle.

You can see where my error spun from.

Now if you were to Deny Ignorance you would of politely pointed out my error and helped me correct it to support my cause.

what exactly is a Mac-90 shot gun?
!!!!!

but what do you expect from Canadians who dont even arm their own border guards.
Probably would mistake a muzzleloader for a machine gun and kill someone entering the People's Republic of Canada.....

You actually want us to believe this was an attempt to Deny Ignorance.

I'll continue to bite my toungue.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Something I had wondered about was what becomes of the children that the kid was pointing the gun at? I could be way off my mark, but it seems that every time there are certain people targeted by these shooters. Wouldn't somebody want to make more of a big deal about the kids who are actually teasing this person? Let them know that it's not okay, it's not just regular child behavior, and what they are doing is not going to produce anything but negative results. I've heard so many times that so and so listened to rock music and played so many video games that he went on a killing spree and targeted the school bully. I agree that the school officials and the parents should be held accountable for even allowing this to happen. The school for putting up with the bullying, and the parents for letting their 13 YEAR OLD KID GET AN AK!!!!!!!!! Jeez, I was 13 and brought a dirty magazine to school and got suspended.....

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Could it be that every time we have one of these shootings we have it on the news for weeks on end . Why must every gory detail be gone in to over and over does the word sexual assault need to be repeated hundreds of times? Do we really need to know that the crazy guy in the Amish school had 2 tube of KY jelly with him when he killed those kids? I am waiting for a computer simulated clip showing what they think he planed on doing to them. I think the media knows that they have the ability to influance weak minds because that is the same way they get us to buy things with tv adds.
The statement could be made about crimes without making these people into legends by giving every detail.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Well how is curiosity and intelligence frowned upon?

My problem is with the administrations who stand by why children are victimized by their peers, and then have the finger pointed at them when the bubble bursts.

Well, the reason why I think curiosity and intelligence is frowned upon is because of the inherent design within the school system itself. I'm not too sure, but most western schooling systems are based on the old Prussian design for schooling, which was made to crush the independent spirit, and make good soldiers for Prussia. And we all know what happened after that right?

The school system is gubbed up because they pit children against each other, like a dog eat dog system, for want of a better example. If some folk can't compete in that system, they will use different tactics (bullying and ostracizng) to stop or hinder other competitors. Some will go along with other folk to get out frustrations or inferior feelings about themselves, failed by a psychotic school system.

The lack of action from school administrations says what needs to be said of what they think of bullying.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Regardless of what's going on in these schools, to get to the crux of the issue, we have to look at the parents and the child's home environment. There are plenty of kids who aren't bringing guns to school and who don't have secret wishes to blow up a bunch of people or get 'popular' by instigating a 'school shooting'.

What's different from one child to the next? Their parents. I support parents being held accountable. I support parents having to pay in one way or another for being so out of touch with their child that they have no idea who his friends are, who he idolizes or what's squirming around in that 13-year-old head.

And why have a gun safe if the CHILD knows the combination??? Might as well leave it on the kitchen table.

This kid had a backpack full of trouble and had planned this for a long time. Where were his parents? C'mon, people! A 13-year-old has to have some privacy, yes, but they're not old enough to live their lives without the intervention of parents!

It's not the job of a school administration to cater to disturbed children. We need to raise our children and let the school teach them to add and read, not know the inner workings of a psychologically disturbed child! This is not the fault of the school, else all the other students would be bringing guns to school, too.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
But BH some of these people are good parents. I do believe in the accountability, but to persecute the parents is alittle drastic in my opinion.

Some of these parents are actually great parents. Involved in their kids lives, constantly making strides to even be more involved.

However, how the child portrays themselves in the home and with their friends can be like Jekyll & Hyde. Children today are getting better at keeping things from their parents. They can create dual personalities through the internet, and well lets face it, how many children are much more advanced than their parents with technology.

However, after rereading your post I can see the brunt of your post is directed at the parents who are leaving weapons accessible to the child in the home. These parents should face punishment and I would support stiff laws to prevent this from happening in the future.

[edit on 10-10-2006 by chissler]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join