It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Chat: People Don't Know About It!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:
JAK

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I understand your point Strodyn but this rule is in effect to protect the ATS membership and prevent abuse of the freely provided chat function by ensuring that those who gain entry to ATS chat are members who over the time required to make the required posts have shown themselves to be genuine and trustworthy.

This requirement only came into play after past abuse of ATS chat.

Like you I tend to spend only a small fraction of time my time here posting compared to reading. I like to view ATS as quality rather than quantity and there are certainly members who do post infrequently compared to some that I hold in very high esteem indeed. Do bear in mind though that the 200 post requirement does include contributions to P@ATS and the ever popular and relaxed BTS.

Although obviously not the case with your account Strodyn while here I might also take the time to point out that with the above in mind members seen to spam, especially popular on BTS, just to reach the 200 post count quickly (and so defeat the actual reasoning beind the decision) can find themselves disappointed.

As for abuse of the chat function the following is displayed each time chat is entered:

All normal ATS rules apply in chat.
    Due to previous problems with chat abuse, being banned from chat will also result in being banned from AboveTopSecret.com.

and although there is no mute/ignore function any member can report inappropriate behaviour (as is the case anywhere on ATS, BTS and P@ATS) through use of the Complaint button which will alert all available staff to the problem whereupon action will be taken as soon as possible.

Jak

[edit on 10/10/06 by JAK]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Perhaps, but not only could you see this 200 post limit as a way to eliminate potential trouble makers, but also as a goal for new members to aim for.

This would in turn introduce them to the active side of ATS (not just reading), as they would continue to post, which would be beneficial for everyone. I'm guessing that ATS loses a lot of good members before they can see what this board is really all about. I know I just give up on a lot of boards because I cannot be bothered to understand the intricacies. Replying and starting threads allows you to meet other members, which is awesome fun.

I think the limit is a great feature. Arguing for a reduced chat limit is the same as saying entry to RATS should only cost 100 points. Do you think that is a good idea?

You can banter and whatnot in the threads, but if you want to get to know members without staying on-topic there's always BTS.

Plus, mods aren't machines. With the number of members fast approaching 70, 000, they're not going to want to be alerted, review, and then have to decide on a members fate every time there is a complaint against them.

Anyway, I don't think the post limit is up for debate.

eidt: aww, cmon! I started writing as soon as Strodyn made his 2nd post, and yet you all beat me!!! Could you type any faster , Jak?

[edit on 10/10/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Actually thinking somemore, many more members joining just for chat are not going to help site revenue though site advertising, which is ultimately what I was getting at.

So perhaps the idea of allowing visitors the option of viewing chat would work with the idea of reaching 200 posts in order to be allowed to post in there?

And yes I really dont read BTS as much as I should

/me goes off to read

[edit on 10/10/06 by Strodyn]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Here's a place to test your typing ability!!!

And the few times i've been there i've had too much fun.

Way too much fun!

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
When I try to go on chat the server doesn't connect. Know why?

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05

It won't work on BTS, click chat on the ATS or P@ATS pages for chat to work

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard

It won't work on BTS, click chat on the ATS or P@ATS pages for chat to work

I've been clicking it on ATS but I still get the same message.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Enjoies, I have encountered the same problems before when I was on two different wireless networks that both denied my ability to connect to chat. Something was blocked somewhere (I assume from my side) that wouldn't allow it. Check with your internet provider and ask them. I never got answers on why this didn't work, but maybe you can enlighten both of us.

I can get on with my service, but at times, I was using city-wide wifi and couldn't, along with a neighbor's wireless and couldn't. Don't know why.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I have had to frequently upgrade my "Flash" to get on...

But I always manage to get there

Semper

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   

It might be a firewall issue or issue with popup blocker, try messing around with those

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   
My pop-up blocker is off so I'll try the firewall thing. Maybe thats why my iTunes doesn't work either.

Thanks

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Success! Both the ATS Chat and iTunes store now work fine. I guess it was the firewall.

Thanks for your help

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
ALLLLLLRIIIGHT...

Bumping the ATS Chat thread because more people need to get to ATS Chat now! Link is on first page or on the top command button bar labbled CHAT

Get in there!!!

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
OK, Bumping again because it is a friday night and no one is in chat!

What do you have better to do then talk to your friendly ATS community.. no better way to actually get to know the people behind the post!

Il bet youll meet someone new, learn something new and next time you see a post and you have an assumption about the poster and how crazy they might be, you will know otherwise! Or realize they are crazier then expected

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Chatty chatters chattingly chat!

Chatting about chat is chat-tastic and chat-a-cool!.............

cpr12 chatbot may not approve............but chatbots need NOT approve of the chat-tastic chatty chatters.

Chat away, carry on

Actually the chat here on ATS is a really fun way to interact with like minded folks from all over this little blue planet we inhabit!!
See you there & enjoy the laughter !!

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
We need to have a HOFF party in chat. 8pm ... tonight, tomorrow .. whenever. It's been too long and we need to have another HOFF party. Or at least sing the Little SHop of Horrors songs!

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I know about the chat, I'm in debate about liking it after all that has already happened to me.

My questions to them is if this is all my imagination, then please, explain, why was I banned from the site on the date you told me I would be back in June?

Why are fans from that site on here bothering me, just to tourture me, in hopes of me quitting and giving it up for your happiness?

If I can't be happy why should established people who don't even respect the people who have helped them, or who are supposed to be thier co-workers and respect "everybody"?

Hypocritical, huh?Then, why are you protraying me as a "criminal" to your fans, just to keep your sponsor, my bosses, and fans who's parents are too busy to pay attention to the truth, and instead believe it as well?

Fans of them, ask yourseleves this, if I'm a criminal, why hasn't a cop or anyone like that investigate me for anything like that, yet? Unless all this is about something else, then why would they expect you to do this to prove loyalty to them?
How come no one at the party noticed me fighting with them, since one of the mothers of a fan was there? How come I was asking "to go home" the whole time?
How come you have to annoy me, and then some of you have to go in front of the public and lie to other fans about me, to make them happy, if I refuse to befriend you on the net or u2u?

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Whilst I understand your line of thought on restricting new members/trolls, I would like to make the suggestion that instead of a minimum number of posts you have a minimum number of points. I have been a member for 6 months and have only made 78 post but I have started threads. At the rate I am going I will be able to access the chat in about a year. Just a thought

[edit on 15-10-2006 by deessell]

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
i'm with this guy. 110 posts - i been reading the site for quite some time & post infrequently cos i can't stomach long-winded posts, miles long threads, and often folks have already made the point i would've said. tbh i can do without the added distraction of chat, but yeh there are folks out here that will fall through the gaps.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Im just posting here to help me get to the magical 200!
Only 199 to go! Now to think of a topical subject which will allow
me to post tonnes of replies. Hmmm.
Just kidding.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join