It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church "Bails Out" on sick Nun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 06:18 AM
link   
In a lawsuit that was almost immediately dismissed, the Roman Catholic Church in Toledo Ohio was accused of discharging a Nun in Training allegedly due to medical issues beyond her control. The courts removed themselves from this obviously religious decision that sheds a dark light on the Church and it's treatment of inductees.

nytimes
His client was a middle-aged novice training to become a nun in a Roman Catholic religious order in Toledo. She said she had been dismissed by the order after she became seriously ill — including a diagnosis of breast cancer.

In her complaint, the novice, Mary Rosati, said she had visited her doctor with her immediate supervisor and the mother superior. After the doctor explained her treatment options for breast cancer, the complaint continued, the mother superior announced: “We will have to let her go. I don’t think we can take care of her.”

Some months later Ms. Rosati was told that the mother superior and the order’s governing council had decided to dismiss her after concluding that “she was not called to our way of life,” according to the complaint. Along with her occupation and her home, she lost her health insurance, Mr. Heck said. Ms. Rosati, who still lacks health insurance but whose cancer is in remission, said she preferred not to discuss her experience because of her continuing love for the church.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The courts were correct in their decision to dismiss this case as it involves an internal situation within a religious foundation. The greater issue is the treatment, or lack of, given to "one of their own," by the Catholic Church.

What recourse does this woman have now, to complete her desire to serve in the capacity she feels compelled to? Why would one of our religious icons feel it necessary to abandon a student based on a medical issue?

[edit on 10/9/2006 by semperfortis]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Wait, so a church gets sued, lawsuit dropped because it is a religous deal, but the SAME church goes out and says "Vote Republican or we condem you to hell!" it's ok?

I know you said this was in Toledo, to the north, but in the south that is what happens. Ministers and Priests will even ban members from coming to church if it turns out they are voting democrat/Libertarian. So, it's only ok for CHurch to mix with state when the State benefits from the church?

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   

a middle-aged novice training to become a nun

I think the quote above is the crux of the matter, no pun intended. She was in training. She had not been confirmed as a bride of Christ. If she was unable to complete her training, or perform the functions of the position within the Church she was pursuing, they had no choice but to let her go. I do, however, question the wisdom and morality of the Church not helping her relocate, nor using benevolence funds to continue her health benefit. That flies in the face of the mandate of Christ to minister to the poor and needy.

I recall a similar situation involving an acquaintance of mine who was in training to become a firefighter. He blew out his knee in training, and subsequently sued for disability retirement from the department, even though he had never finished training or worked a day as a firefighter. He won his case on a technicality, forcing the department to re-write its policy governing trainees, explicitly barring them from disability retirement benefits should they be unable to complete training and become full-fledged firefighters.

I disagree that it was a religious decision. It was a business decision. A poorly executed one, imo. Also, imo, there are much darker lights (oxymoron?) shining on the Church's treatment of inductees, namely altar boys, a conspiracy subject all to itself.

[edit on 10-10-2006 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
So if an altar boy in training has an issue with his treatment, the lawsuit could concievably be dismissed because the word, 'god, ' is bound to show up?

People are People.........

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Altar boy abuse lawsuits are generally sexual in nature and settled by the Church once overwhelming corroborating evidence is produced. They are also generally civil suits arising out of criminal prosecutions of deviant priests.

The conspiracy angle, imo, comes out of my speculation that deviant priests may have been deliberately planted in the Church in the US, by NWO elements, in an attempt to discredit it. If so, the plan has been very successful.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Yes it amazes me that they will spend millions paying for childmolesters but they won't take care of this poor Nun.
The church is their own worst enemy because they have coverd up and continue to coverup the molesters. The pope himself is involved in covering this up and some would like to see him have to stand trial.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
They were running their institution as a business. As sad as it sounds, it's not uncommon for businesses to follow this same practice. They will only help with medical expenses for their employee for a set dollar amount or time, until they must lay off their employee. I haven't heard of any businesses helping to pay for medical costs to trainees, so the nun did have one advantage over normal business trainees.

[edit on 10-10-2006 by DJMessiah]

new topics

top topics

join