It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll reveals Americans want Democrat Congress

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:18 AM
link   

A majority of Americans want the opposition Democrats to take control of the US Congress, a poll released on Saturday found.

Fifty-three percent of those surveyed would like to see the Democrats secure a majority in Congress in the Nov. 7 elections, the Newsweek poll found. In contrast, 35 percent say they would like the Republicans to retain control.

"A plurality of Americans, 42 percent, now say they trust Democrats to do a better job of handling moral values," the poll found.

"This represents almost a complete reversal from an Aug. 2-Sept. 1, 2002 Kaiser Family Foundation/Harvard/Washington Post poll in which 31 percent of Americans said they would trust Democrats to handle moral values better while 44 percent said they would trust Republicans more."

On the war on terror, 44 percent of Americans trust the Democrats to handle the effort instead of Republicans -- a five-point increase from a Newsweek poll conducted Aug. 10 and Aug. 11. Thirty-seven percent trust the Republicans more -- a seven-point drop from the same August Newsweek Poll.

US President George W. Bush's approval rating fell to a new low of 33 percent, a three-point drop from the Aug. 24 to Aug. 25 survey.

Fifty-nine percent of Americans disapproved of how Bush is handling his job as president, and 67 percent said they are dissatisfied with the way things are going, the poll showed.

Taipei Times

We are looking at a "Major" reversal of public opinion here.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Do you really think anything would change?
Or would things gridlock even more than they do now.

Personally, I found Pat Buchannan's remark interesting.
He figures that after two years of the democrats running Congress, folks will flock to restore the Republicans to office.

Do you really see major differences in the parties or is it all scripted??

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   
There is one problem to change though. Another survey also indicated a majority of Americans also think their current representative is not a problem and would support him. I heard this on the evening news so you have to take it with a grain of salt. Clearly most Americans think it's all the other guys people have been voting for that is the problem. If everyone thinks the same way, not much is going to change. Guess we'll see.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Well here is what I am keeping in mind going to the polls.

I think that the republicans have overstepped their bounds in regard to the US constitution.

I do not think this new suddenly fantastic cheap gasoline is by any stretch of the imagination a coincidence or anything other than a political ploy for the GOP.

I believe a democratic majority in congress would in fact be beneificial to the US in the long term as it would not allow the president absolute authority anymore.

I am an independant, usually slanted for the Republican party....However! I believe a democratic majority in congress is what I want. (and universal healthcare! :lol

Democrats....you have my vote come nov. 2nd.....

[edit on 10-10-2006 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:10 AM
link   
My view is I relish a Congress that stands in opposition to the President when that time has come.

Maybe that time is here.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Anyway, with the new military commission act, that both parties voted for, Bush can put in jail every congressman that is again the Bush policies, accusing him of helping the terrorists. But I don't think he would do such a thing because he'll be face with a revolt.

Also, who counts the vote? Yeah that's right, Diebold.

[edit on 10-10-2006 by Vitchilo]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

You do have a point there, but this should not deter us from using the only means we have to change things. If anything a shift in the majority will send a message that the current leadership needs to re-evaluate its policies.

Here is another poll that shows the same trend.

www.washingtonpost.com...

As far as fixing the vote, I think they can only change the outcome by a few percentage points. If the majority votes overwhelmingly, they can’t overcome it. That is why every vote counts.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I'm not sure , but last I heard republicans still only equals 30-35% of the populous and democrats equals 40-45%.

The rest are non commital or don't normally vote.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Its encouraging to see that people are "waking up", however, its the same evil by a different name.
IF we get to vote again, and IF Democrats win... i fully expect to see more chaos, terror, panic, etc.
Things are not going to change, people.
The actors will merely change for the next scene.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Well if we get a Democratic House and Senate, they will start the process of getting firearms out of the hands of the US Citizen. then you will know what evil is.

Roper

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Roper,

The Democrats have never tipped the world upside down as these Republicans have- NEVER.
If Bush & CO are the true representatives of a Republican, i would then dare say to you that going Democrat is definatly a lesser evil. Evil, nevertheless, but lesser.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
The Democrats have never tipped the world upside down as these Republicans have- NEVER

You sure about that? WWI, WWII, Korea,'Nam, Hiroshima& Nagasaki. Waco, OKC bombing and cover up. To list a few.

If there is any legislation banning firearms form civilians, there will be civil war! Now what political party wants to ban all firearms? DEMOCRATS!!

Roper

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Roper, That's sad!

At least Democrats won WWI and WWII and fought the commies to a standstill on Korea.

Republicans lost SandwarI and SandwarII.

I served with mostly liberals. Liberals seem to predominate the services.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

Personally, I found Pat Buchannan's remark interesting.
He figures that after two years of the democrats running Congress, folks will flock to restore the Republicans to office.

Do you really see major differences in the parties or is it all scripted??

What I see is the socially liberal American public gives Republicans a chance to rule about every 20-40 years and they muck it up. We need our nazis to go back to the closet, now!

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I find it interesting that so many polls, and reports have been circulating in this last month about the 'people' wanting the democrats to take over congress.
Yet GWBush states he WILL win simply because of the economy and security.

I know he's merely blowin the common election trumpet..

but it seems the media are trying to give a pretext that regardless of what the polls say.. the people want the DEMS.

and anything else.. should be looked on suspicously.

Are they telling us to watch closly? being so close to elections the people want democrats.. it would be odd.. for republicans to run away with it.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Studies have been done on the correlation between the economy and elections.

It is the condition of the economy 13-8 months before the election that adds or detracts from the incumbent's showing in the election.

Though the economy due to lower fuel prices has improved slightly of late, it is probably too late to help the Republicans in the election.

[edit on 10/15/2006 by bodebliss]

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Of chorse, this congress has been focused on ristriction and self-profiting. At least the democrats let the people have a little more rights. That's about the only difference between the 2 parties these days, when it comes to being in action in Congress.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
It's nice to cherry pick huh bodebliss. How sad!

Roper

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   
The sheer audacity of this government to declare that they will win, because security and the economy are coming up trumps.

Its only them whom consider security as improving.
No matter what the people think, no matter what the reports say..
they still stubbornly stand by their declaration, contrary to all research that they have made america safer.

What a farse.

Im convinced they will win,
no matter how much people scream about fraud and cheating.. they will win, and claim its because of security.
It doesnt matter what the public think any more. They only have to APPEAR like they are legit, thats enough for it to BE legit.

The new american system makes me

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The president and all Republicans in Washington seem very possitive of a win by the Republicans.

I wonder what they have up their sleeve, what smear campaigns they're working on, or what plans they have, if there's to be any election at all.

Too much confidence exhibited by the Republicans in Washington today scare the socks off of me.

Certainly its not just Diabold they're counting on???

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join