It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea says nuclear test successful

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Have a working Nuke. Perhaps only his hair-dresser knows for sure!

But as to the question of "Fission or Fizzle", I'd like to add a possibility:

"Fry"

As in enhanced radiation. As in Neutron Bomb.

We all seem to be over-looking the possibility that NK's focus has been on the development of an efficient "modern" weapon, suited to NK's unique military needs: ie. close-order defense as a deterant against invasion.

Why, with all the information and resources available to it, would NK devote those resources to the development of a "strageic" weapon it lacks the immediate ability to deliver? Hardly an effective deterrant to NK's supposed enemies!

Could not an effective enhanced radiation, tactical-yield neutron bomb be designed to result in a low explosive output? Isn't this the single characteristic what makes N-bombs so "attractive"? Enhanced "killing capacity" with a low explosive force to limit physical damage to surrounding assets; and reduced unintentional fallout generation due to fewer debris generated.

Thus NK could justifiably claim a "Successful Test" with No release of radiation, even in light of an explosive yield far below that of a "conventional" nuke test.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
When they warned China of the test they said it would 4 kilotons, but the result is estimated at .5 kT. It doesn't sound like it turned out the way they expected.

[edit on 10/11/2006 by Hal9000]

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The reason for all the overly western-sympathizing people to feel so "superior" is manipulation. Look at history. Which country has ever used a nuke as a destructive mean in warfare? Yes. The USA. Just for the kicks...

So why should'nt other nations be able to have an A-Bomb? Don't misunderstand me, I'm not favorizing the build-up of nuclear weapons. But this western attitude, trying to decide who is allowed, and who not is an automatic provocation to everyone who doesn't have the same misconception as many western people.

If you really think abuse and danger is only possible in developping countries then you are completely wrong.

If you really think other cultures like islam or communist nations have alot more of supression and censorship than the western civilization, then you are wrong.

Just because we go to cinemas, entertain ourselves and live a sterile, clean publicity way of life doesn't mean our media are not corrupted.
It's just a way more subtile and subconscient way. Alot dirtier.

With a fake democracy to keep all of the ignorants happy and quiet, in their useless way of life.

If you take a close look the western world is not better than the rest of the world. We simply feed of the other's misery like a cancer. And that's the only difference. Because we are too lazy and occupied with our miserable entertainment-lives to change the fundamental structure in first place.

So please before judging others we should take a close look in the mirror.

And dont forget: The NATO is an economic Warmachinery. Nothing else..

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
What's that thing u said in the beginning?? Your troopers will fight another war that has nothing to do with you? Which war had anything to do with you except your civil war and partially WWII? It's all about showing off to the world. I can't understand how USA can demand on ANY country to stop developing nuclear weapons and programs when USA itself has the biggest storage of nuclear weapons on the planet?? And what I'm afraid about is that this time USA will will intervent again and will start a new conflict more devastating than the last and we all will have to pay for that!!

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 05:06 AM
link   
north korea or any other nation that claims to be free has the right to work on nuclear weapons. i cannot understand the motives behind the average american thoughts on this matter. The US is the only nation that attacked with thermonuclear weapons and killed thousands of people in hirosima and nagazaki. who are they to think that other nations should not develop this technology?

now with the stupid war in iraq that claims to be done to bring freedom to the people of iraq, the US killed another 655000 people. this is genocide. i don t believe that anyone from the us has the right to say that kim is mad. if he is mad the american people who brought the bush administration to the office are responsible from this. if kim did not develop the thermonuclear weapons at this time most probably the US government would claim that he already had these weapons and strike after the establishment of the new puppet government of iraq, unfortunately north korea doesnt have enough oil resources for their people to be made free.

who are these people that claim to bring freedom to others, coming from the other side of the oceon and killing a nations 655000 people? any government that does not share common strategic interests with the US is under severe danger until they develop certain instruments to avoid another genocide under the name of freedom!
are they really after freedom? who is buying this now? is it freedom that they brought to iraq?

if america tends to bring freedom to iraq or any other nation they should first bring peace to their own minds. people of america wake up! if your nation is the leader of the world you should feel more responsible during the elections by not bringing an agressive leader into the office.

the bush administration is forcing the other nations to advance in thermonuclear weapons by bringing freedom. i personally am against the thermonuclear weapons as everyone who has a bit of humanity inside but nowadays i am thinking that it may give the people of those nations to have a chance to live, work and progress as they wish, not as some other countries puppet.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar
Could not an effective enhanced radiation, tactical-yield neutron bomb be designed to result in a low explosive output? Isn't this the single characteristic what makes N-bombs so "attractive"? Enhanced "killing capacity" with a low explosive force to limit physical damage to surrounding assets; and reduced unintentional fallout generation due to fewer debris generated.

Building neutron bomb requires the use of hydrogen fuel as in thermonuclear weapons. It is well beyond NK technical means to produce a weapon such as this. As far as I know they ahve no infrastructure for producing the thermonuclear fuel let alone the technical measn to design a weapon which enhances radiation.
A sime plutonium implosion device is ll they may be capable of, nothing more.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
All this doom and gloom remind's me of something a little creepy.

Didn't Nostradomus make a prephecy about Nuclear war sometime between 05 and 012? This and the god damn scene in north Korea kinda made me shiver a little...

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Nostradamus didn't predict a nuclear war, he infact didn't predict anything.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
It angers me how quickly the US propeganda machine kicked in on this one.

The russians measured the blast, and released a statement that they are 100% sure by their calculations that the bomb was between 5 and 15 Kilotons.

Then come along the US, stating they don't know how powerfull it was... or wether they even set off a nuke...
then, the US Geological Survey team being the only source, claimed it was much MUCH less than that.... then proceeded to claim that the test was either a failure, or wasnt a nuke.

... so, what... are we supposed to simply ignore what Russia told us? I mean, it's not like the russians are inexperienced when it comes to nuclear weapons.

Just another load of bull**** coming from the United States again. Like everything else the Bush administration tries to tell us.

[edit on 12-10-2006 by johnsky]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I think Bush should bring our boys home and reassess the situation- Is he capable?
We should be focusing on real threats and not on make pretend ones.
I told this to a fellow worker today and he almost had my head on a platter.

I should have suggested he go fight himself.

Anyway, we cannot be everyplace at once. Might as well focus on the real problems.

apc

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I saw something I found perplexing the other day. Two people, holding hands, both with sensing sticks. You know what that's called? The blind leading the blind.

The Russians say one story. The Chinese, who apparently were informed of the "facts" prior to the detonation, say another. The actual seismic data tells yet another.

This brings me to one of my favorite phrases... "What is real?"

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I'm too lazy to start a new ATSNN thread on this, but someone else is welcome to.

I found a story that suggests maybe the explosion was not a nuke after all. Naturally, they're looking into it, checking for radiation and other debris characteristic of a nuke, but they haven't found any, yet.

www.theherald.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Well, lets look at this:

NK has nuclear ambitions, and have detonated "something"- Our government would rather think it was 500m tons of TNT...the truth is, in all probability it was a nuke. Our country is turning a blind eye to this, IMO, a blind eye to the people who live like this:

But would have a nuke.

They live in total darkness after 9pm- per government rules, but have a nuke.

In my opinion, these are very dangerous people and we should turn all our efforts towards North Korea- never mind chasing those who would just love to have a nuke in 10 years.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Alert - Reports indicate that North Korea may soon test HYDROGEN BOMB "against United States"

times.hankooki.com...

A Korean-Japanese scholar who is considered North Korean leader Kim Jong-il’s unofficial spokesman said yesterday that Pyongyang has a hydrogen bomb it would test as part of a series of actions mentioned in its statement against the United States.

In an interview with MBC radio, Kim Myong-chol, director of the Center for Korean-American Peace, a Japan-based pro-North Korean research agency, said the Stalinist state is ready to test its H-bomb or conduct a nuclear test larger than its proclaimed test on Monday.

The North’s Foreign Ministry issued a statement Wednesday that it would respond with a series of physical measures if Washington steps up pressure on Pyongyang.

Asked to provide evidence that the North has developed its own thermonuclear weapons, Kim replied, ``That’s why we are going to test the bomb. A test will prove that we’ve got everything necessary just as we had with our nuclear weapons.’’

Kim blamed the United States and others who question the authenticity of Monday’s test for suspicions about whether the North actually possesses nuclear weapons. ``The United States, which initiated a war in Iraq on groundless claims of weapons of mass destruction, is raising absurd suspicions over the North’s nuclear tests,’’ he said.

The North will regard the United Nations resolution imposing sanctions, whether financial or military, as a declaration of war, he said.

``If the Bush administration makes more provocations, both New York City and Tokyo will be blazed,’’ Kim said. He added the North is targeting the United States but does not want to wage a war against the South as long as Seoul takes a neutral position.

Kim said he made his last visit to Pyongyang in January and has communicated with high-ranking North Korean officials on a regular basis, claiming that his remarks represent the ideas of Pyongyang.

``The destiny of the Korean Peninsula will be decided within a week, and South Korea should maintain its neutral stance,’’ he said in a KBS radio interview. ``Seoul should request that Washington not mobilize U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) even if a war breaks out.’’

The Ministry of Unification, however, downplayed Kim’s remarks.

``Kim is not trustworthy, and his claims should be ignored,’’ a ranking ministry official told The Korea Times.

MBC also expressed concern before airing the interview, which was recorded a few hours before the radio show, asking its listeners to consider Kim’s remarks as claims by some North Korean hardliners.

apc

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
In a perfect world...

But in this one, bailing on our present obligations would be... uhm... bad. People blowing themselves up just to kill a dozen or so innocents would be the least of our concerns.

NK has obviously just risen a few notches on the priority list. But, it would be far beyond foolish to ignore the others.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Well, lets look at this:

NK has nuclear ambitions, and have detonated "something"- Our government would rather think it was 500m tons of TNT...the truth is, in all probability it was a nuke. Our country is turning a blind eye to this, IMO, a blind eye to the people who live like this:

But would have a nuke.

They live in total darkness after 9pm- per government rules, but have a nuke.

In my opinion, these are very dangerous people and we should turn all our efforts towards North Korea- never mind chasing those who would just love to have a nuke in 10 years.

dgtempe, is that real?
like, legit..
that the only light after 9pm is the government

holy crap.. I didnt know it was like that

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 02:54 AM
link   
After been taken for a ride around the bush for years since the US dishonured the agreements signed in 1994, they finally have the elusive bargining chip they need to actually begin progress in any discussions

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 03:48 AM
link   
dgtempe what do you mean by turning all your efforts to these people?
do you want the american navy to kill another 600k people who are generally civillians?
this way of thinking is really sick

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 04:19 AM
link   
What if Kim wants the world to think his arsenal is crap so that he will be underestimated...Hes using strong words such as "The US & Tokyo will be blazed" but his tests havent gone so well...

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It is now being reported that the sniffer planes found no traces of radiation which means one of a couple things....either none was released from the blast or the whole thing was a farce and the blast was never a nuclear one to begin with, the other possiblity that I can think of was it was a dud. I am not a betting man but if I were I would say the odds are that it was a farce.

Why?

Because considering how poor and how few resources North Korea has to begin with, would they really waste one of their precious "bombs" to see if it actually worked when a bluff would do exactly what they wanted in the first place...i.e. world attention? Kinda like a John Mark Carr kind of thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join