It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: North Korea conducts nuke test

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Well, here comes the truth, here is where the mustard gets cut. All these puffed chests and America rulez class can no finally see what their commander and cheif does. We know that when a country isn't a threat he will invade for the good of the world, now we have a known threat and who want to bet G.W find a place next to Jeb in the broom closet?

I am off to bed, this is too much fun for one night.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   

What time frame would you be looking at here tho WP?
Surely they couldnt do it like a conveyer belt honda?

I believe they have the technical know how, designs and provisions in place for quickly setting up manufacturing centers designed to build and test (not in that sense) such weapons. And I also have no doubt that current Japanese military systems can be (on short notice, perhaps weeks) or are already configured to carry and deliver future nuclear weapons. From manufacture to actual fielding I'm looking at a best case scenario of several months to a year. Maybe not a conveyer belt but enough to make a difference and ensure nuclear supremacy over North Korea.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:04 AM
link   
They say the bomb was equal to 550 tons of TNT.

For comparison the Hiroshima bomb was equal to 12,000 tons of tnt...which is now considered a "mini-nuke".

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:07 AM
link   
i think as the old addage goes

size doesnt matter

getting the thing to blow is difficult now they have aced that they can perfect it
550 tons or 4KT you dont want it dropping in your neighbourhood

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:07 AM
link   
sorry double post

[edit on 9-10-2006 by popek]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:09 AM
link   
For all we know it could have been just that... 550 tons of TNT. Or another explosive. 550 tons is alot but not something impossible to pull off. Given how well they did with the missle test I'd say the 550 tons of TNT would be more likely than a real nuke test.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
thats a good point,
but how concrete is the theory of there HAVING to be radiation?

Is it possible to detonate it far down and blocked enough for there to be none ?

I'm thinking the same thing. A seismic monitor can detect tremors for hundreds of miles, but how close does a radiation monitor need to be in order to pick up an underground explosion? Maybe it will take several days before the radiation begins leaking enough for us to be able to detect it?

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:11 AM
link   
OK, the test was something like a mile underground, so it will be difficult to get any soil samples on radiation. Especially with such a small device.

Fox is saying that it is 550 Tons of TNT equivelent. The Hiroshima bomb (which is small by today's standards) was 12,500 tons or 12.5 kilotons So this thing isn't even a 1 kilton bomb.

Either it failed almost completely (supposidly they thought they could get 400 KT's, they were not even remotely close), OR this could have been a "fizzle". In a fusion bomb, you use a small nuclear fission explosion to provide the heat for nuclear Fusion, which would result in your larger "hydrogen" bomb. Odd that would be there first attempt, you almost figure they would go for a big fission bomb before trying to make a fusion one.

I guess there is the possibility it was a fake as someone mentioned earlier, but I don't think so.

Guess there is also the outside chance they were just testing a small one to confirm there scientific theroies as a step to a bigger bomb. Another off idea is they intentionally are building a small one. If they have a limited uranium supply, you could make alot more small ones instead of a few big ones, AND the small one would have a more likely chance of being mounted on one of their intermediate range missiles.20 nuclear tiped SCUDs or T Dong 1's would be a bigger threat, then 3-5 bigger ones they can't send anywhere.

It's late and my spelling is way off. I think I'll call it a night, and check back here tomarrow night if possible (busy work week).

[edit on 9-10-2006 by Sr Wing Commander]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   
All right

We finally got ourselves a new conventional enemy to fight.

Ever since the USSR folded up shop, weve been running around fighting an invisible enemy without boundries. Now that North Korea has stepped up to the plate, we finally have a target country to oblitherate.

Now we can have ourselves a real war.

[edit on 9-10-2006 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:14 AM
link   
ermm
where did this number of 400KT come from

everywhere i have looked it says 4KT not 400

which means the test was about 16% succesful
pretty good for a first go

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Why would NK go about compiling so much TNT to make a blast? To receive more sanctions and make everybody in the world against them? Doesn't make much sense to me.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Yep, this may be small but i dont think that would be a correct measure of there ability.

How can you succeed, but fail in a nuclear test?
If the barrel technique fires them together, and u get nuclear fission.. isnt that succesful?

simple because it wasnt as big as they thought could mean the deliberately set the target high, to make the world assume they cant match anyone for wat ever reason.... or they are dumb enough to completely miscalculate it, yet smart enough to build it.

so many questions, and to be hoenst.. the real answers are only known by a hand ful of people. yet those same answers will have ripples across the world.

where to now..
Let us hope decent men prevail here, becuause clearly it only takes one mad man to change the worlds priorities.

[edit on 9-10-2006 by Agit8dChop]

link   

Originally posted by scarecrow58
Why would NK go about compiling so much TNT to make a blast? To receive more sanctions and make everybody in the world against them? Doesn't make much sense to me.

It's possible they set off explosives, in turn to bluff us into believing that it was a small nuke, but that would be @#$%....Then again NK scientist could of set off some explosives in fear of failure that would equal death from Kim, because he wants the bomb now.... but

[edit on 9-10-2006 by XPhiles]

link   

INDY could be right.

but what you say...will be the result.

But perhaps they just wanted to see what the worlds respone would be...but if thats the case...Lil Kim is more insane then I thought.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:21 AM
link   

me either surely the point we should be worried about is not wheter the nuke was real or not personally i think it is but if i get proved wrong in a few days ill gladly eat my words
the question is how are the US and Japan going to react

more interestingly what about china who seem to be doing a good job of being on both sides when the mode takes them, will they now let it go and ignore them

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:22 AM
link   
To be honest, even at this early stage it looks like NK have got away with it. I would have expected some strong talk from D.C. but instead they're talking about "tough sanctions" and then this...

AUSTRALIAN PRIME MINISTER JOHN HOWARD
Australia will "advocate a UN Security Council regime against [North Korea] which includes targeted financial and travel sanctions, other trade restrictions and/or aviation restrictions".

Whoa - harsh

This will just go the UN for talks and no doubt NK will get hit with some sanctions - which won't make a huge difference as they're so isolated anyway. Looks like the whole thing, including NK's nuke, was a bit of a dud.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Curio
Looks like the whole thing, including NK's nuke, was a bit of a dud.

i like that sentiment
made me chuckle a little!
i cant really see anything more interesting happening than sanctions although kim has lived for long enough with all that UN bull# im sure he wont be any more receptive this time that before
except now he has a shiney new bomb
allbeit a small new bomb with no missle delivery system
but will look nice on the mantlepiece

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:27 AM
link   
If thats the case then surely Iran will follow suit and activley now state there true intentions.
I mean sanctions are coming there way any way.. why not atleast achieve the thing ur being punished for.

Its a pickle at the moment for the citizens.

What do we want?
Obvioulsy military action isnt somethign we want.. deaths and destruction is always a last option that shouldnt be used lightly...

but... we just cant allow nations with mad men at the healms to activley pursue these weapons and do as they please.

Is It worth sacrificing lives to end Nkorea's power play?
Or Is it worth sacrificing our face and allow them to hold onto there new toy?

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by popek

Originally posted by Curio
Looks like the whole thing, including NK's nuke, was a bit of a dud.

i like that sentiment
made me chuckle a little!
i cant really see anything more interesting happening than sanctions although kim has lived for long enough with all that UN bull# im sure he wont be any more receptive this time that before
except now he has a shiney new bomb
allbeit a small new bomb with no missle delivery system
but will look nice on the mantlepiece

I dunon, lob a couple of these at 2 set points on the DMZ will cause a lot of death on southkorea and american forces there.. it will surely sapp the confidence of southkorea, and force the us to either nuke korea, or send in forces..
Plus it'll open this nice corridor for tanks and troops to march through...

I wouldnt accept this and assume he's going to play nice now..
Always better to be safe than sorry.
But in that regard... ... we have to be very careful what measures we take.
sanctions, will be laughed at by Korea, Iran and most of the world.. it will make the current US admin look like the curropt bunch they are and surely the nuclear proliferation boundaries will go down in a flaming heap.

[edit on 9-10-2006 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:31 AM
link   
like i say atm the toy isnt a threat
america and NK are a funny pair its like NK is a midget with a knife and america is a tall man holding him at arms length
even with the knife he still just cant reach

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join