It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Nanotechnology aware of the concept of time?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
...and if so relative to what?

Reason I ask is, in the nanotech molecule's point of view we are the "higher being" telling them what time is.....and when time started....is a molecule's concept of time irrelevant? if not, do they learn about the concept of time from us?

Any ideas?

[edit on 10/8/2006 by a1ex]

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Time is only a human Concept. Humans run their lives based on time, The end of times means our end. Nothing else really cares so much about time that much.

Time is our Real Enemy

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Yes. Reactions on the nanoscale are normally measured in femtoseconds relative to the vibration frequency of a beam of cesium atoms.

Molecules have no concept of time because they have no conciousness. It is us that is doing the inventing of the methods of measurement as well as the measurements themselves.

[edit on 8-10-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Sardion: are you saying time only exists if something has conscience?

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Molecules have no concept of time because they have no conciousness. It is us that is doing the inventing of the methods of measurement as well as the measurements themselves.

Then where is consciousness and why do cells and dna have memory?

What makes us up to do the inventing and where does the inventing come from?

This question is addressed to anyone since the post was made in 2006 and the user's opinions may have changed since

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by a1ex
...and if so relative to what?

No. Nanotech is the putting together of things that are about one atom thick.

Reason I ask is, in the nanotech molecule's point of view we are the "higher being" telling them what time is.....and when time started....is a molecule's concept of time irrelevant? if not, do they learn about the concept of time from us?

There is no such thing as a "point of view." A single "machine" is between 10 and 400 atoms in size. In order to be "aware" something needs to have enough structure and substance to be able to record events and save them in some sort of array.

The smallest things that seem to have some awareness (but wouldn't be aware of us or time, etc) are bacteria. They can react to an environement and do something about it (move towards, move away). Viruses, prions, and things smaller than bacteria don't seem to react to environment changes other than to live there or die promptly when the environment goes out of whack.

Will nanomachines ever develop sentience? At this point, we haven't been able to do successful AI in regular large computers (or even supercomputers.) If there were somehow a nanomachine array that invaded and worked inside every single cell in your body (which would be a problem when it hit the very short-lived blood cells), you're still only talking about some 100 gigabits of information in the array. The processing speed would have to use the human body (because in a molecule there's not enough room to build a transmitter) ... so we're now talking a very very very slow 100 gigabit RAM machine (computer operations are millions of times faster than your own body processes.)

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a nanomachine to suddenly go 'Oh! hi there, dad!"

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by a1ex
Sardion: are you saying time only exists if something has conscience?

Umm, no I said that Nanosized materials don't have a concept of time because they are not conscious.

Then where is consciousness and why do cells and dna have memory?

Beats me. Memory can exist without a concept of time, just look at Memory Alloys. You bend them up and no matter how hard you try, it will just go back to its original shape. As for how DNA has memory, Science has not come up with the complete answer yet so I cannot speculate on the matter yet.(As I'm not studying it atm
)

What makes us up to do the inventing and where does the inventing come from?

Beats me! One of the greatest mysteries in the world atm.

top topics

join