It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite Ethnic films

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Ok, this may not be a long list of films (but it might be). I decided to put this thread up b/c I'm getting tired of hearing about strictly white American films. There's a whole genre of movies out there that are excellent---not just black films either. Well, my first 4 favorites are:

1) Shaka Zulu (Black---I cried at the end)
2) The Emperor and the Assassin (Chinese)
3) Malcom X
4) Ali

[Edited on 8-11-2003 by Colonel]

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The first two are LONG films. "Shaka Zulu" is like 10 hours long but, its great. "The Emperor and the Assassin" is about 4 hours long and with subtitles. The battle scenes are better than the ones in "Gladiator" or "Lord of the Rings."

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Most of the films I watch/enjoy ARE ethnic. Most of the actors I watch enjoy are ethnic too. One of my favorite movies with a great twist is The Hunted with Ice-T, not to mention he is an incredible actor.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 04:58 PM
link   
HTF is malcom X and ali ethnic movies? they are biographical movies about a certain person.

i saw ALI and i wouldnt call it ethnic at all. its about a very short period of time about one of the best people on the planet but doesnt tell his whole story by a long shot. i LIVE where he grew up and there is so much more to him than what they presented in that movie. they showed an angry person, mad at the government and the world it seems. but he isnt like that. he is a man of principle and stood up for what he believed in but he is not angry and the movie made him seem angry, almost bitter. i thought it was more of a disgrace to him and who he really is. its entertaining but i wouldnt say it says much about him.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by magestica
Most of the films I watch/enjoy ARE ethnic. Most of the actors I watch enjoy are ethnic too. One of my favorite movies with a great twist is The Hunted with Ice-T, not to mention he is an incredible actor.

I really wouldn't consider Ice T a great actor but, I guess he's good on Law and Order. I'm talking about films that focus on people of other races.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I don't really like to have to group films into groups like this, as I don't care who made it, what color they are what religion they are, if it's a good movie, it's a good movie, if it sucks, it sucks.

However to add to the answers you are looking for.

Once Were Warriors is a good flick imo.

[Edited on 8-11-2003 by Lysergic]

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
HTF is malcom X and ali ethnic movies? they are biographical movies about a certain person.

i saw ALI and i wouldnt call it ethnic at all. its about a very short period of time about one of the best people on the planet but doesnt tell his whole story by a long shot. i LIVE where he grew up and there is so much more to him than what they presented in that movie. they showed an angry person, mad at the government and the world it seems. but he isnt like that. he is a man of principle and stood up for what he believed in but he is not angry and the movie made him seem angry, almost bitter. i thought it was more of a disgrace to him and who he really is. its entertaining but i wouldnt say it says much about him.

I considered it so and I believe he WAS angry at the government. i would be too if they stripped my hard fought belts from me, took away my means to earn a living, and disgraced me for disobeying because I believe in my principles.

I'd be #in pissed!

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
I don't really like to have to group films into groups like this, as I don't care who made it, what color they are what religion they are, if it's a good movie, it's a good movie, if it sucks, it sucks.

We Were Once Warriors is a good flick imo.

I thnk I saw that. That's about the Indians in Australia? And the husband was an alcoholic?

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 05:05 PM
link   
KADOSH by Amos Gitai...

How can I explain you. It's the story of a girl educated in an ultra-orthodox israelian family, married with a rav (rabbin ) who fall in love with a muslim !

It's a drama of course.

---------------------------------------

I dont know if it's an etchnic movie, also, because it's not a movie, but a cartoon :
Kirikou et la sorciere (Kirikou and the sorceress) :

In a little village somewhere in Africa, a boy named Kirikou is born. But he's not a normal boy, because he knows what he wants very well. Also he already can speak and walk. His mother tells him how an evil sorceress has dried up their spring and devoured all males of the village except of one. Hence little Kirikou decides, he will accompany the last warrior to the sorceress. Due to his intrepidity he may be the last hope of the village.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenkoolaid
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

That was a beautiful film. I enjoyed it. On the first day it came out, only 4-5 theatres had it playing in the DC area. When it blew up, every theatre had it. I was annoyed.

I was waiting for that film months before it opened in the US.

But, I don't consider it an epic of all time. Just a beautiful story. Now, "The Emperor and the Assassin," THAT"S an epic.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Dances with wolves
Geronimo
American History X
The Color Purple
Year of The Dragon

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel

I considered it so and I believe he WAS angry at the government. i would be too if they stripped my hard fought belts from me, took away my means to earn a living, and disgraced me for disobeying because I believe in my principles.

I'd be #in pissed!

well here's the thing....

he was mad as well he should have been but when you see the movie thats ALL you see. you dont see the poetic side to him. you dont see what a deep thinker and a compassionate man he is. it gives people a bad idea about him. he wasnt JUST an angry person, he is a lot more than that but people dont go beyond the movie to learn about the person portrayed in the movie so what they see on the screen is all they "learn" about the person.

in the movie all you see is a # talking cocky angry person and none of the other sides to him.

they didnt show him growing up. they didnt show anything about him after he retired. they didnt show much of anything compared to the whole that is him.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 05:09 PM
link   
This sounds cool. But, I know I won't be able to find it at Blockbuster.

Originally posted by Nans DESMICHELS

I dont know if it's an etchnic movie, also, because it's not a movie, but a cartoon :
Kirikou et la sorciere (Kirikou and the sorceress) :

In a little village somewhere in Africa, a boy named Kirikou is born. But he's not a normal boy, because he knows what he wants very well. Also he already can speak and walk. His mother tells him how an evil sorceress has dried up their spring and devoured all males of the village except of one. Hence little Kirikou decides, he will accompany the last warrior to the sorceress. Due to his intrepidity he may be the last hope of the village.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

We Were Once Warriors is a good flick imo.

I thnk I saw that. That's about the Indians in Australia? And the husband was an alcoholic?

Close, and I messed up on the title, Once Were Warriors, sorry about that.

It's about the Maori of NZ, the maori are from polynesia i think... they conquered NZ about a thousand years ago.

Yeah he was an alcoholic. Women suppose to work and men get to drink at pubs?

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 05:12 PM
link   

well here's the thing....

he was mad as well he should have been but when you see the movie thats ALL you see. you dont see the poetic side to him. you dont see what a deep thinker and a compassionate man he is. it gives people a bad idea about him. he wasnt JUST an angry person, he is a lot more than that but people dont go beyond the movie to learn about the person portrayed in the movie so what they see on the screen is all they "learn" about the person.

in the movie all you see is a # talking cocky angry person and none of the other sides to him.

they didnt show him growing up. they didnt show anything about him after he retired. they didnt show much of anything compared to the whole that is him.

I was disappointed that it didn't show the other epic battles in his life. (I'm watchin it now). You gotta think about everything else (the music, the acting, etc).

But, I don't think it gave people a bad impression of him. Everyone knows Ali and knows he's a Champion's Champion. This was just one perspective of him.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 05:12 PM
link   

The first two are LONG films. "Shaka Zulu" is like 10 hours long but, its great. "The Emperor and the Assassin" is about 4 hours long and with subtitles. The battle scenes are better than the ones in "Gladiator" or "Lord of the Rings."

I will have to rent these. I think I have seen Shaka Zulu, but probably worth another viewing.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Dances with wolves---didn't see it
Geronimo---didn't see it
American History X---bothered me
The Color Purple---didn't like it
Year of The Dragon---GREAT FILM

I love movies about Chinese culture.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I didn't really like american history x either...

actually I found it to be lame.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenkoolaid

I will have to rent these. I think I have seen Shaka Zulu, but probably worth another viewing.

Well, Shaka was THE MAN and at the end...it was so sad.

The Emperor is about the first emperor of China and how he consolidated his power.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join