It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amish Mourn Schoolhouse Killer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
In Social Issues, we have often discussed the various religions and their faults and many who espouse no religion often chime in to disparage those who do. We hear a lot about the "religion of peace" and the "religion of love" and sometimes we see expressions of peace and love from others beside those for whom the values mean more than dodging the draft and sexual promiscuity.

But, in Pennsylvania, following a horrific display of violence that no one has yet been able to understand, half of those who gathered to mourn the killer of the most innocent imaginable were the members of the very community whom he savaged.

We often make light of the Amish for their backward ways and rigid morals, but rarely do we consider the values that lead to such expressions of love and forgiveness as this.

Is it for show? I doubt it. They say you learn who people really are when things are their toughest and I could not imagine many more circumstances tougher to handle than these.

Dozens of Amish neighbors came out Saturday to mourn the quiet milkman who killed five of their young girls and wounded five more in a brief, unfathomable rampage.

Charles Carl Roberts IV, 32, was buried in his wife's family plot behind a small Methodist church, a few miles from the one-room schoolhouse he stormed Monday.

About half of perhaps 75 mourners on hand were Amish.

"It's the love, the forgiveness, the heartfelt forgiveness they have toward the family. I broke down and cried seeing it displayed," said Porter, who had come to Pennsylvania to offer what help he could. He said Marie Roberts was also touched.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The Amish, and others like them, have the right idea. I wish I could say I was capable of such forgiveness, especially the parents. Which makes the episode so much more tragic...you have to ask why do such bad things happen to such good people...

My faith, such as it is, tells me that there is a plan, and a reason for everything...but sometimes its hard, so very hard to fathom. Bless 'em for their compassion, and may their pain lessen with time.

What more is there to say? Maybe they are just better people than I.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
They certainly stand in stark contrast to the likes of these.

Radical Baptists from Kansas Say They will Picket Amish Funerals in PA

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Admirable, but is it possible? I don't know? I would think being human, it would be impossible to not (in your heart) harbor some sort of resentment to the person who had killed some of their loved ones.

I think the Amish people absolutely have the right idea. You might find it hard to believe in the 21st century, but I wish I lived like them.... yes, I would like for society to regress. Now don’t hackle me, the way they live is simple, loving, sharing, caring, self reliant, humble, charitable to their villages (many hands make lite the work) & I respect it.

Most everything today is fast paced, discourteous, degraded, and malicious. I hope they really are able to forgive & mourn the very man that wounded them, that really is Christ-like.

Edit***type O

[edit on 10/8/2006 by jensouth31]

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
When I heard this I knew I could not do this myself. They inspire me to be the best person I can. So what there backward they are stronger than any of us in forgiving this man even if he after he did this horrible act!

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Yes, it really is inspiring isn’t it! I think that’s why the whole deplorable incident was such a shock to the rest of us. Here they live in peace, and harmony, and someone thought to come in and hurt them…and they didn’t let it, they just paused, moved on. Good for them, they didn't let it harden their hearts. I'm pretty sure the rest of us would have wanted to burn the killer at the stake.

I’m going to go pack my bags now, and move in with the Amish. I’m sure they will let me bring along my chickens

[edit on 10/8/2006 by jensouth31]

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jensouth31
Yes, it really is inspiring isn’t it! I think that’s why the whole deplorable incident was such a shock to the rest of us. Here they live in peace, and harmony, and someone thought to come in and hurt them…and they didn’t let it, they just paused, moved on. Good for them, they didn't let it harden their hearts. I'm pretty sure the rest of us would have wanted to burn the killer at the stake.

I’m going to go pack my bags now, and move in with the Amish. I’m sure they will let me bring along my chickens

Yes it is but I not going to live without my PC sorry. I lived with modern technology all my life so not going to bring along my chickens.

I know we can live like in this day in age.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by El Che
Yes it is but I not going to live without my PC sorry. I lived with modern technology all my life so not going to bring along my chickens.

I know we can live like in this day in age.

Okay, deal....you bring your PC & I'll bring my chickens. I'll give you eggs everyday if you let me borrow your PC so I can check into ATS once a day.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I don't see tha Amish as backward in the least. I see them as far ahead of most of the rest of the world. The Amish are a truly civilized people. Civilization is not defined by mechanical contraptions such as cars and television..it's determined by the character of the people. By that standard, most high-tech societies are quite barbaric.
Unfortunately, the character of the people in them has not developed at the same pace as their technology.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jensouth31
Okay, deal....you bring your PC & I'll bring my chickens. I'll give you eggs everyday if you let me borrow your PC so I can check into ATS once a day.

OK you got a deal!

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I used the term backward, for lack of a better term at the time of the writing. They refer to it as Plain living. It's a life few of us would care to live day to day, but I can't say the rat race is better.

Question: What is the "day-in-the-life" of a typical Amish man (husband) and woman (wife)?

Answer: He would get up about five a.m., go to the barn and feed the animals, milk the cows and process the milk to the cans for truck delivery to the local dairy. He would then join the family for prayer and breakfast. Depending on the season, he would work in the fields, preparing the fields for planting (late winter), planting the crops in the Spring or harvesting the crops in late Summer or Fall. He usually works from sunup to sunset in the fields for planting and harvesting with a break for lunch. In the evening, the cows would need to be milked again.

She would also get up about five a.m., help with the milking, prepare breakfast, and if laundry day (usually on Monday) get the gasoline motor started on her wringer washing machine do the laundry, hanging them out on the line to dry. She would work in the kitchen garden, preparing it for planting (with help from her husband), or harvesting vegetables for meals. If there are children, she would also get them ready for school, including packing lunch boxes, etc. Daytime household duties would be done, i.e., ironing, washing dishes by hand, baking, and cooking lunch and dinner. Depending on the season, she would can fruit and vegetables, making jams and jellies, etc. She will also sew clothes for herself, her husband and their children.

Both work schedules will vary according to the season and weather.

Of course, on Sundays, the family attends church in their District or in a neighboring District. They rise early, feed the animals and milk the cows, prepare lunch and leave for church about 7:30 a.m. They typically spend the day visiting with either church members or their nearby family members. They return home late afternoon to tend to the animals.

On Sunday and several times during the week, they may visit in the evening with neighbors or family members.

www.amish.net...

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I used the term backward, for lack of a better term at the time of the writing. They refer to it as Plain living. It's a life few of us would care to live day to day, but I can't say the rat race is better.

Question: What is the "day-in-the-life" of a typical Amish man (husband) and woman (wife)?
www.amish.net...

Their life has much rigorous work involved and yet, when I see them, something tugs at me....right behind my breast bone. You may feel it also. Deep inside, you know they have it right. The world would be clean and fresh if all of us lived as the Amish do. The air would be sweet to breathe and water crystal clear, and safe to drink from a stream. There would be peace.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
There are many Amish folks who live in my community,and I gotta tell you they are the kindest,honest ,most forgiving group of people here.Alot of them think the school attack was done cause the killer was attacking their religion or way of life.When it was explained this was not the case,they could not comprehend this man was merely seeking "revenge" for something that happened twenty years ago.None of them showed any form of hate for this man.I really envy the hardships these people endure,from doing their farmwork with no modern machinery,to all of them getting together to raise a barn(which is an incredible thing to watch).So it comes as no suprise to me that they would mourn the death of this man.I think all walks of life should take a lesson from the Amish,if we were all like this the world would be a great place to live in.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Skyway. There is something about them, and their way of life, that tugs at my heartstrings as well...the simplisity of their lives, or the way they take everything in stride, they don't ever seem to question "why us?".

There is much to admire about them, and I could wish to live like that, but I am far too addicted to modern convieniences to want to change willingly. Horse drawn carts are great, but horses require as much if not more upkeep than any car. I feel sorry for the poor horse that comes into contact with most of us...poor thing wouldn't know what hit it

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Skyway. There is something about them, and their way of life, that tugs at my heartstrings as well...the simplisity of their lives, or the way they take everything in stride, they don't ever seem to question "why us?".

There is much to admire about them, and I could wish to live like that, but I am far too addicted to modern convieniences to want to change willingly. Horse drawn carts are great, but horses require as much if not more upkeep than any car. I feel sorry for the poor horse that comes into contact with most of us...poor thing wouldn't know what hit it

I could walk away from this glut of noisey, smelly, noxious machines and never look back. And I suspect that many of us could grow to love the Amish way of life if we spent a few months with them. We just need to experience somethings to realize how much preferable they are to what we have. Hey, even if horses require as much or more care than a car I would enjoy caring for such a beautiful living creature much more than a lifeless cold machine like a car. We just have make sure we don't get kicked in the head!

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
That hoof in the head thing is just one of the many joys you have to look forward to. Late nights in the barn hosing out the critter when he or she gets just a bit too much in the way of roughage. I am told it gets somewhat...well, yucky.

There is alot to be said that is positive about the lifestyle...it's just not for me. If you do go, can I have your car?

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
That hoof in the head thing is just one of the many joys you have to look forward to. Late nights in the barn hosing out the critter when he or she gets just a bit too much in the way of roughage. I am told it gets somewhat...well, yucky.

There is alot to be said that is positive about the lifestyle...it's just not for me. If you do go, can I have your car?

I would leave car and plane and boat for the clean and peaceful life of the Amish any day. Yucky is all those processed foods with the arificial colors and artificial flavors and artificial sweeteners. Might as well eat plasic!

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Hey, you can provide me with all those lovely organic foods that are soo darned expensive at a reasonable cost. Hmmm...on second thought...OK, you go

The Amish are admirable people all around. The world would be a much better place if we all could be just a bit more like them, and less like...well...us.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
My horse and buggy are here. Let's see. Got plenty of carrots for Lightning. Don't have to worry about flat tires. Giddy Up! See ya later!

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Right back atcha

top topics

<<   2 >>

join