It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French Philosophy Teacher in Hiding Because of Muslim Threats

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Robert Redeker, 52, a French philosophy teacher, has been forced into hiding because of an article he wrote regarding the Prophet Mohammed. The religion of peace again strikes fear into the hearts of those who dare tell the truth about Islam.

French anti-terrorism authorities Friday opened an inquiry into death threats against a philosophy teacher who has been forced into hiding over a newspaper column attacking Islam, legal officials said.

Robert Redeker, 52, is receiving round-the-clock police protection and changing addresses every two days, after publishing an article describing the Koran as a "book of extraordinary violence" and Islam as "a religion which ... exalts violence and hate".

He told i-TV television he had received several e-mail threats targeting himself and his wife and three children, and that his photograph and address were available on several Islamist Internet sites.

"There is a very clear map of how to get to my home, with the words: 'This pig must have his head cut off'," he said. [emphasis mine]

www.expatica.com

Jesus said:

"Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
John 8:32

This is why the professor is in so much hot water:

Likening Islam to Communism, Redeker said that "violence and intimidation are the methods used by an expansionist ideology ... to impose its leaden cloak on the world".

He also compared the Prophet Mohammed unfavourably to Jesus Christ, describing the founder of Christianity as a "master of love" and the founder of Islam as a "master of hate".

"Exaltation of violence, a merciless war-leader, a pillager, a massacrer of Jews and a polygamist — this is the picture of Mohammed that emerges from the Koran," he wrote.

www.expatica.com

This would be comical, even farcical, if it were not real.

[edit on 2006/10/7 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
wow... i think it's funny that some people who know absolutely nothing about a religion go around talking about it like they are some sort of expert... u really think what the news tells u about islam is true?? u of all ppl with ur israeli flag should know israel and the u.s. control the media which allows them to target islam or muslims in any way possible to make even more ppl that dont know anything about islam, such as urself, hate the religion..

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Its a shame he's getting threats, but to say its because of the religion is a bit assinine.

Every religion has its extremists.

Christians have firebombed abortion clinics and lynched pagans.

Extremists dont fall into one demonination.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   
So, Jason, are you saying that the threats on the lives of Salman Rushdie, the Pope, and the professor are untrue and that these are only lies created by the media to make Islam look bad?

If so, I'd beg to differ with you. I think that these events are true and that they are only the tip of the iceberg.

Oh, and I didn't present myself as an expert. I quoted sources which are known to be reputable.

If you can prove that the sources are wrong, how about posting that proof instead of attacking me, or is that too much work?

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
So, Jason, are you saying that the threats on the lives of Salman Rushdie, the Pope, and the professor are untrue and that these are only lies created by the media to make Islam look bad?

If so, I'd beg to differ with you. I think that these events are true and that they are only the tip of the iceberg.

Oh, and I didn't present myself as an expert. I quoted sources which are known to be reputable.

If you can prove that the sources are wrong, how about posting that proof instead of attacking me, or is that too much work?

The deaththreats are true, but they are spun out of proportion.

Theres plenty of deaththreats being thrown around by christian extremists, its just the media is anti-muslim rallying right now, sothey only focus on that aspect.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
What's worse, a deaththreat from a muslim or a countrys pursuit in hatred of that entire religion. What do you suggest is done? Just what do you think can be done about death threats? Christians, Catholics, Jews, Muslims they all make death threats. Not because of their religion, but because they're people and within any group of people there are going to ba a******s. You grouping by saying "The religion of peace again strikes fear into the hearts of those who dare tell the truth about Islam" is straight up racism imo. Oh well, I expect you know that deep down anyway.

Jesus said, "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free

Why are you trying to benefit by quoting a man who would be ashamed of you?

[edit on 7-10-2006 by Xeros]

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeros
"The religion of peace again strikes fear into the hearts of those who dare tell the truth about Islam" is straight up racism imo.

That may be your opinion, but it makes no sense, insofar as Muslims are of every race.

Moreover, I am reporting a news event and giving my opinion of those events, so your attacks on me are equally "racist" to use your logic.

Why are you trying to benefit by quoting a man who would be ashamed of you?

I quoted the words of Jesus because Islam regards Jesus as a prophet and his words should have some resonance with its followers, but you, having failed to engage your mental faculties, would have missed that point entirely. As to how Jesus feels about me, I'll leave that judgement to Him. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Holygamer
Theres plenty of deaththreats being thrown around by christian extremists, its just the media is anti-muslim rallying right now, sothey only focus on that aspect.

Yes there are lots, here's just a couple examples of death threats from Christianity, the "religion of love". The only reason I bring this up is because Grady is trying to trample all over Islam while quoting the Bible. This thread obviously has an agenda tied to it.

Protesting an Opera nonetheless!

The BBC executive behind the decision to screen Jerry Springer - The Opera last night has fled his home with his young family after receiving death threats.

BBC2 controller Roly Keating, his wife and their three young children were driven out of their £1million house after a Christian group posted his private address and telephone number on its website.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Apparently calling science science is worthy of death threat in Kansas.

A judge who struck down a Dover, Penn., school board's decision to teach intelligent design in public schools said he was stunned by the reaction, which included death threats and a week of protection from federal marshals.

Pennsylvania U.S. District Judge John E. Jones III told an audience in Lawrence Tuesday that the case illustrated why judges must issue rulings free of political whims or hopes of receiving a favor.

www.kansas.com...

And by the way, since we're quoting Jesus, here's another quote from him.

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it."

(Matthew 10:34-39 NASB, The Bible)

"I have come to cast fire upon the earth; and how I wish it were already kindled!" ... "Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division; for from now on five members in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three."...
(Luke 12:49,51-53 NASB, The Bible)

"If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple."
(Luke 14:26 NASB, The Bible)

"Perhaps people think that I have come to cast peace upon the world. They do not know that I have come to cast conflicts upon the earth: fire, sword, war. For there will be five in a house: there'll be three against two and two against three, father against son and son against father, and they will stand alone."

Gospel of Thomas 16 (non-canonical) (SV, The Bible)

en.wikipedia.org...:34

Originally posted by Holygamer
I quoted the words of Jesus because Islam regards Jesus as a prophet and his words should have some resonance with its followers

Jesus, yes, Bible no. Muslims have a hard time believing much of the Bible since they think it was corrupted by man. The point is, it is not religion that makes these people violent, they are solely responsible. Quoting the Bible to them will not change that Grady. But, for every violent muslim, you have thousands living peacefully and I don't think you understand that point.

[edit on 7-10-2006 by Jamuhn]

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Jamuhn

As for your quotes of the scriptures, I am well aware of them and I am also aware of their context and their intent, which is something that you seem not to be.

I don't consider myself to be an expert on religion, but I have taken the time to do considerable study of the major ones and many of the lesser known.

Google is good, but it doesn't take the place of real study.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   

That may be your opinion, but it makes no sense, insofar as Muslims are of every race.

Moreover, I am reporting a news event and giving my opinion of those events, so your attacks on me are equally "racist" to use your logic.

Yeah "attacks"
and there is such a thing as religious racism.

I quoted the words of Jesus because Islam regards Jesus as a prophet and his words should have some resonance with its followers, but you, having failed to engage your mental faculties, would have missed that point entirely. As to how Jesus feels about me, I'll leave that judgement to Him. Thanks.

Okay I misinterpreted you there.
and probably came across a little harsh. But what about the rest of what I said regarding 'bad apples', Do you agree with me there and what do you think we can do to tackle this? (other than blaming the religion (which gets us nowhere))

[edit on 7-10-2006 by Xeros]

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

You're being rude, Jamuhn.

As for your quotes of the scriptures, I am well aware of them and I am also aware of their context and their intent, which is something that seem not to be.

You caught me on my first draft of a post Grady! Those statements are gone, they only remain in your quote.

It doesn't matter if you're Christian or not, it's the subtleties of denouncing Islam, and then quoting the Bible. I know you believe in the Urantia book, I have the book myself and like you I know about different religions. But, it's not fair or honest to try to correct a religion with words from another religion.

And, I've also read the entire Bible, and the meaning of what Jesus said is pretty clear. I don't see it as a particularly distressing thing that should denounce the entire Bible, but it's these same kind of tactics that Islamophobes/Muslim-haters use to denounce Islam as a whole.

The media sensationalizes on the Islamic extremists all the while the vast, undeniable majority live their lives in peace.

Here's an example, why is that soldiers always complain the media talks about the bad things in Iraq, but not the good? Don't you think it works the same way with most of the topics brought up in media, including Islam, talking about the bad and ignoring the good?

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Do you agree with me there and what do you think we can do to tackle this? (other than blaming the religion (which gets us nowhere))

Yes, I agree. My references are to the fact that even though most Muslims don't seem to be violent in any way, I'm not seeing any outcries against the abuses of the radical elements of Islam by Muslims.

I am aware that the Muslim community has been instrumental in aborting plots of terrorist attacks in the US. I know Muslims and get along with them well. In fact, I get along with anyone who doesn't invade my space or infringe on my rights.

When Christians break the law in the name of their view of Christianity, Christians are usually the first to condemn such acts.

More Christians are familiar with these words than of those quoted by Jamuhn.

[38] Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
[39] But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Matthew 5:39

If radical Islamists are really in the minority, when is the majority going to rise up and denounce the reprehensible actions of the few?

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
You caught me on my first draft of a post Grady! Those statements are gone, they only remain in your quote.

Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.
Luke 17:3

You will note that I edited out your remarks.

It doesn't matter if you're Christian or not, it's the subtleties of denouncing Islam, and then quoting the Bible.

I am denouncing those who kill in the name of their religion and call it peaceful and I quote the Bible without apologies.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   

If radical Islamists are really in the minority, when is the majority going to rise up and denounce the reprehensible actions of the few?

They do, ALL THE TIME...

"Liars"

FMC's commercial message, exposing the Islamic Extremists lies about Islam.

FMC's Kamal Nawash on the O'Reilly Factor!
Kamal Nawash on O'Reilly President of The Free Muslims Coalition, Kamal Nawash, talked to Laura Ingraham, to discuss the Israel/Hezbollah conflict in Lebanon.

www.freemuslims.org...

PRESS INFORMATION
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

American Muslims and Scholars denounce Terrorism

Washington, DC (September 9, 2002) — Several prominent American Muslims, organizations, and scholars issued the following statement denouncing violence and terrorism, especially in the name of Islam, a religion of peace and justice.

The statement was issued on the eve of the first anniversary of the tragedy of Sept. 11, and has been signed by 199 prominent American Muslims, and scholars of Islam from all over the world.

www.islam-democracy.org...

Prominent American Muslims denounce terror committed in the name of Islam
Transcript of CBS's 60 Minutes interview on Sept 30, 2001 between Ed Bradley and
Shaykh Hamza Yusuf of California
Imam Siraj Wahaj of Brooklyn
Dr. Farid Esack, Visiting Professor in Religious Studies at the University of Hamburg
Imam Faisal Abdur Rauf of Lower Manhattan
Dr. Vali Nasir, Professor of Political Science at the University of San Diego

www.islamfortoday.com...

British Muslim Scholars Denounce Terrorism

Issued by the British Muslim Forum with the approval of over 500 clerics, scholars and Imams throughout the United Kingdom, July 19, 2005. British Muslim Forum, Eaton Hall, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 0PR (UK), Tel: 01777/706-441.

www.peaceworkmagazine.org...

I am denouncing those who kill in the name of their religion and call it peaceful and I quote the Bible without apologies.

And thus your bias towards Christianity is quite clear now. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jason2421
wow... i think it's funny that some people who know absolutely nothing about a religion go around talking about it like they are some sort of expert... u really think what the news tells u about islam is true?? u of all ppl with ur israeli flag should know israel and the u.s. control the media which allows them to target islam or muslims in any way possible to make even more ppl that dont know anything about islam, such as urself, hate the religion..

The funny thing really.. he called it a religion of hate... People like you go OMG HOW DARE YOU HURT SOMEONES FEELINGS?!?! .. Islam is a religion of peace and love!!

And then the actual Muslims are... posting his picture with a map of his house with the words "This pig must have his head cut off"

Oh the peace, the love, surly there is no reason for this poor old man to be running scared right?

Sigh..

When will the real religious war start off, and the Muslims get what they really deserve?

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I am aware of these statements and I do applaud them, but they are as "voices in the wilderness."

Originally posted by Jamuhn
And thus your bias towards Christianity is quite clear now. Thanks.

I have no bias toward Christianity. I am often highly critical of it and its practitioners, but I also try to be fair in my assessments.

Personally, I think it is your biases that have been exposed.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I am aware of these statements and I do applaud them, but they are as "voices in the wilderness."

Really? Over 700,000 Muslims signing a petition to denounce terrorism is so?

Unfortunately, says Ahmed, the killing gets the media attention, casting a pall on an otherwise peace-loving community. She points to under-recognized efforts like her group's "Not in the Name of Islam" petition, which has received nearly 700,000 signatures, and rallies to denounce terrorism organized by CAIR after 9/11 in cities such as Dallas.

www.longislandpress.com...

Here's more examples...
www.archives2005.ghazali.net...

I have no bias toward Christianity.

Which is why you think it fit to criticize Islam by quoting the Bible.

Personally, I think it is your biases that have been exposed.

Yes, you are right, I am biased to the truth whatever that may be.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I have had strong faith all of my life in God but I am not a church goer and haven't been for many years. I have also studied many other religons by reading many books on them and find them all facinating and the thing that really gets me is how alike they are. Many religons books or bible or what have you say the same things in one way or another. I feel that most of the diffrences come from men who want religon to work for their reasons and that goes on in all religon.
Every time I see politicans giving speeches in churches it almost makes me ill because these are people that do not live the values they are trying to take advantage of.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I take my hat off to you for getting out the truth, Jamuhn.

You are the "voice in the wildernes."

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
It seems to me IMO, that there is a great schism between how Muslims in the Middle East and those who live outside the M.E. and even those who are second generation M.E. immigrants to other countries feel. Those Muslims that have grown up in a multi-religious community are by far more tolerant of other religions than those where for all intents and purpose Islam is the state religion.

There can be no denying that a substantial segment, not the majority perhaps but still significant, of Muslims in the M.E. are fairly intolerant of other religions / cultures. One only has to look at the religious / ethnic genocide going on in Darfur, the demonization of Jewish people in general, not just the "Zionists" as claimed, the persecution of the Baha'i in Iran and the limits placed on non Muslim religons in the M.E. to see that not all is well with the "religion of peace" when it applies to the faithful in the Middle East. While it is a minority of Muslims that are furthering this image of Islam, the majority of "normal" Muslims remain rather non-condemning of their more radical brethren.

Other parts of the world that are primarily Muslim don't seem to have near the same level of "extremism" displayed in the Middle East. Turkey and Indonesia for example, are willing and in fact tolerant of other religions than countries in the Middle East. Why is it that Islam can exist with other religions in those countries but not in the M.E.? Is it mainly the Wahhabi and Shi'a branches of Islam that foster this intolerance of other viewpoints, whether it be religious or cultural?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join