It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stunning Images From Mars!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Wow! Fantastic stuff!! Just look at Mars!! Who says there's no life there??

Opportunity sent this photo of the rim of Victoria Crater.

Spectacular new images of Mars could reveal clues about tens of millions of years of the red planet's history.

NASA has just released photos taken from above the planet by the spacecraft Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, showing the rover Opportunity perched next to the enormous Victoria Crater. Four or five football stadiums could fit inside the crater.

"We've taken approximately 160,000 photographs from Spirit and Opportunity," said Jim Bell, lead scientist for the rover's panoramic camera. "The images that have come down just this week have instantly vaulted to my top 10 list," he said.

The rovers Spirt and Opportunity landed on Mars three weeks apart in January 2004.

The images were taken from about 170 miles above the Martian surface, revealing information about the sedimentary layering of the planet.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

here

[edit on 7-10-2006 by mikesingh]

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
i wonder why they always have to adjust the color...why not also send what NASA are also seeing.

nice find though

I like this the most
marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov...

jra

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by hiwaga
i wonder why they always have to adjust the color...why not also send what NASA are also seeing.

They have to adjust the colour because the images arn't taken with normal red, green and blue filters. The image that Mike is showing is an unaltered false colour image. You wouldn't see that greenish stuff on the ground with the naked eye.

I'm not sure what you mean by, sending what NASA is seeing. They give out all the raw images from there probes.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   
pretty nice looks just like earth pretty crazy it just gets you thinking what else is out there.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by hiwaga

nice find though

I like this the most
marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov...

Wait, it can actually SEE the rover from orbit?

Man, they should employ this on the moon, the landing site to be more specific. That would silence everyone that thinks the landing never happen. Assuming there's anything on the image that is

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Yes...but allways will be someone saying they are faked pictures of the landing sites and we never landed on the moon. And even if you take them to the moon and show them the landing sites they will say it's a dream, or a mind controling program....

Edited to add:
Though a ground resolution of 30cm on Mars makes you wonder what a spy satellite can do here on Earth...

[edit on 9/10/06 by Apass]

jra

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by merka
Man, they should employ this on the moon, the landing site to be more specific. That would silence everyone that thinks the landing never happen. Assuming there's anything on the image that is

The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) will be launched in 2008 and along with its main goals, it will also image the Apollo landing sites. I don't think it will convince the hardcore hoax believers at all. They'll just ignorantly cry 'fake' as always.

join