It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean Soldiers Cross Border Shots Fired in Return

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
In an escalation over the growing tensions between North Korea and South Korea over the North's plan to test a Nuclear Bomb, North Korean Soldiers have crossed the Border into Normans land, towards the border with the South who have responded by firing warning shots.

www.washingtonpost.com
SEOUL, South Korea -- Gunfire rang out Saturday along the heavily armed no man's land separating the divided Koreas, as regional tensions mounted in anticipation of communist North Korea's plan to test its first atomic bomb.

South Korean soldiers fired about 40 shots as a warning after five North Korean soldiers crossed a boundary in the Demilitarized Zone separating the two country's forces, South Korean military officials said.

While such border skirmishes are not unheard of, they are relatively rare. Saturday's incursion was only the second this year, the official said. The North sometimes orchestrates border skirmishes to jack up tensions at sensitive moments in international standoffs.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well this situation seems to be rapidly deteriating. With the current tensions over the North Korea’s plans escalating, a small skirmish like this could very rapidly turn into something much bigger.

What worries me is the amount of US troops and equipment who are on the border in the South. If just one small incident occurred that killed an American happened I feel that it could quickly become a full confrontation as this is the most milaritised zone in the world. I hope calm prevails.

Related News Links:
euronews.net
www.cnn.com
www.canada.com
www.alertnet.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.atsnn.com...
www.atsnn.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread228339/pg1
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread45567/pg1

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
While there has been no "official" confirmation on why the North Korean soldiers breached the DM zone, it's been suggested that they may have done so to simply catch fish in a stream. As innocuous as that may sound/seem, my guess is that only time will tell.

Considering the obvious rise in tensions between the two, it could end up being as "innocent" as suggested, an attempt at provocation, or just more propaganda driven by various media outlets than anything else.

As mentioned above, my guess is that only time will tell.

$.02

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Time indeed has been the only factor. Six party talk's, HA, just putting off yard work. The weed's just get bigger when you ignore them. But, there are so many voice's out there calling for more laziness; 'Bring me another Lemonade please, if I sit long enough the field's will clear themselve's.' You know who you are!

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
It's my understanding that stuff like this, though not common, is not unheard of either. I served with a guy in the Army who had 2nd ID combat patches and was no where near old enough to have served in the Korean War. I initially though he was FoS. Upon further investigation, (looking at DD201s(think that's the form) turns out there were some incidents on the DMZ back in the early to mid eighties that authorized the award of a combat service patch. I never served in RoK, but know quite a few who did. It seems like anyone who was stationed in South Korea in a combat arms either experienced first hand or served with someone over there who experienced a skirmish/incursion. Even in the mid 90's when i was on active duty we would have people rotate in from Korea who would talk about things happening on the DMZ that never made the news here. So like i said incidents on the DMZ happen from time to time. If the DPRK weren't currently rattling nuclear sabres this would probably be a two sentence blurb buried deep in the Asian news section. Given the current tensions this could be same ol' same ol' on the DMZ just getting more attention due to current tensions, some DPRK soldiers trying to fish up some grub(which though possible,i suppose, the amount of mines in the area would deter all but the hungriest/stupidest), an actuall instigation by North Korea, or world media and PTB taking a rare but not unheard of incident and using it to further ratchet up tensions. Oh, almost forgot, have heard multiple stories of patrols being led by a green and/or incompetent NCO or officer going on patrol getting lost and by the time they get their bearings discovering they have crossed the border. I'm sure that happens on both sides.

new topics

top topics

join