It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows Vista RC2 available

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 06:40 AM
link   
The last public build (5744.16384) of Windows Vista before it goes into RTM stage is available here.

Apparently this may have less support than RC1, but it is also the closest to the final code anyone can get.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
AWWW, You just beat me posting the link-lol.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I am allready using it, and I can say that it still doesn't have a loading screen, Microsoft must be keeping it a secret.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The problem I had with the previous build crashing with the installation of Virtual Clone Drive, was probably because it was and upgrade of the RC1 version.

This time I did a clean install and had no problems installing Virtual Clone Drive.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I got it downloaded on my desktop here, and I need to know a few things before I do anything permanent..

1) Where do I get the RC2 serial code? Can I use my RC1 serial code?

2) Do I use MagicISO and extract all the files on a DVD or do I just simply burn the one file all together on a DVD?

and...

3) Can I upgrade from RC1 to RC2 enstead of formating the computer; wiping out all my files?

Thanks, much appreciated.

[edit on 9-10-2006 by 7Ayreon]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I couldn't wait for anyone support so I found out for myself!

I must say those who have RC 1, you have got to upgrade to RC 2!

My feedback quote, "The latest pre-release is a lash of inspiration and extraordinary equivalence to vista!"

The performance has increased and everything is working steadily.

1) You can use your RC 1 serial codes for this upgrade!

2) Yes use MagicISO and extract all files within the ISO to a DVD.

and

3) Yes you can upgrade from RC 1 to RC 2 enstead of formating the computer.

Files and information is not lost...

CAUTION!!
The installation may come up with 1 error, that the install shield has failed to restart the computer. Do not panic, just simply restart the system, and the installation will continue without any more errors.. Do not remove the DVD until the entire installation is completed..

*Yellow Light*

On RC 1 aero did work however now that I upgraded it is not shown, here is what the RC 2 FaQ says:

"I don't get the new Windows Vista AERO Glass user interface, why?

Windows AERO Glass requires that you have a minimum of 64 MBs video RAM that is Direct X 9 compliant and supports the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM), formerly (LDDM). If your video card does not meet these requirements, it’s the likely cause why you are not seeing it. For onboard/integrated cards, you need to have 1 GB of dual channel memory installed with 512 MBs of RAM allocated to the system. The amount of Video RAM also determines the resolution size your Display can use."

I still don't see why I cannot use the aero GUI... Must be a spec issue or a fault in RC 2?

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Should one download 64 or 32 bit? I'd like to try it what is the difference??

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 06:26 AM
link   
^^^
Depends on what CPU you have: i.e. if its x86(32 bit) or x64(64 bit).
I'm using RC1 and I find it very stable..running automatic disk dfrags when the a drive gets close to being full etc. etc..
I'm not too keen on upgrading to RC2 after hearing the AERO GUI issues :shk:
I'm also having Readyboost issues, mic detection issues and Bit locker issues with RC1.
Any info on that?

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by 7Ayreon
On RC 1 aero did work however now that I upgraded it is not shown, here is what the RC 2 FaQ says:

"I don't get the new Windows Vista AERO Glass user interface, why?

Windows AERO Glass requires that you have a minimum of 64 MBs video RAM that is Direct X 9 compliant and supports the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM), formerly (LDDM). If your video card does not meet these requirements, it’s the likely cause why you are not seeing it. For onboard/integrated cards, you need to have 1 GB of dual channel memory installed with 512 MBs of RAM allocated to the system. The amount of Video RAM also determines the resolution size your Display can use."

I still don't see why I cannot use the aero GUI... Must be a spec issue or a fault in RC 2?

I found this on a Microsoft Technet Forum:

"It's seems that it is a known issue happening when you have only 512mo of RAM and will be fix in RTM. During this time here's a workaround :
1/ Ensure that you have the following registry value set to :
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\Composition set to 1 (32-bit DWORD) HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\CompositionPolicy set to 2 (32-bit DWORD)
2/ Restart DWM by opening a command prompt with administrative privileges :
- Type 'net stop uxsms'
- Then 'net start uxsms' "

I don't know if that is your case, but maybe it helps, even if it isn't.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

"It's seems that it is a known issue happening when you have only 512mo of RAM and will be fix in RTM. During this time here's a workaround :
1/ Ensure that you have the following registry value set to :
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\Composition set to 1 (32-bit DWORD) HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\CompositionPolicy set to 2 (32-bit DWORD)
2/ Restart DWM by opening a command prompt with administrative privileges :
- Type 'net stop uxsms'
- Then 'net start uxsms' "

I don't know if that is your case, but maybe it helps, even if it isn't.

ok step 1 is comfusing me. I type in what?

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\ (from here I dont know what to do)
and
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\ (this too)

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Sorry if this sounds a little stupid, but if i down load this does it change or delete anything on my computer, and what would be the benefit's? if someone don't mind explaining this to a dumb ass hillbilly i would really appreciated.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by skitzo
does it change or delete anything on my computer

If you don't want to lose your files, select the 'Upgrade' option during installation.

I would recommend making backup CD/DVDs though, just in case... But uh, thats just a precaution..

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:59 AM
link   
There is a good guide here that shows you how to dual boot your system with XP and Vista.

Do backup anything important beforehand tho as 7Ayreon said

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Microsoft pulls Vista RC2 !!!

Source

There is no offical word as to why.

They may have hit their key/download limit, or there may actually be an issue.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by 7Ayreon
ok step 1 is comfusing me. I type in what?

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\ (from here I dont know what to do)
and
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\ (this too)

Sorry, I forgot that.

Press the key with the "Windows" logo and the "R" key to show the "Run" dialog or go to "All Programms", "Accessories", "Run".

Type "regedit" on the Run dialog.

When the "Registry Editor" appears, open the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" folder, then the "Software" folder, then the "Microsoft" folder, then the "Windows" folder, then click the "DWM" folder.

On the right side it will appear a list, double-click the "Composition" element and change the value on the text box to 1, if it is not correct, and click on "OK".

Double-click the "CompositionPolicy" element and change the value on the text box to 2, if it is not correct, and click on "OK".

Next, go to the (unnamed) Start button, "All Programs", "Accessories" and right-click on "Command Prompt", choose the "Run as administrator" option.

Confirm that you want to use the program and when the next window with the command prompt appears type:
net stop uxsms

It should say "The Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service is stopping." and after "The Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service was stopped successfully."

Then type:
net start uxsms

It should say "The Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service is starting." and after some seconds "The Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service was started successfully."

I hope this is clearer this time and that your problem can be solved this way.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
ArMaP, thank you for clarifying that, it works!

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
Microsoft pulls Vista RC2 !!!

Source

There is no offical word as to why.

They may have hit their key/download limit, or there may actually be an issue.

Ahahaha.... I got it before they supposedly pulled it! I have it and it is great! I especially like how they improved the performance..

top topics

join