It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For all the pagans on ats

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   
this thread i decided to create after having gone through at least 9 pages of threads looking for something similar. every other thread is mostly about christianity. i have an idea that there are a few pagans on ats, myself included, but i thought it would be nice if a thread were started only for us to discuss our religions peacefully without the intrusions of some others who want to debunk the validity of our beliefs. that being said, i personally hold no grudge against christianity, islam, or the jewish faith, but there are little to no threads just about paganism exclusively.

so after all that i'll introduce myself and my belief system and encourage all pagans to do the same.

i'm optimus(i'll save my real name for some other day) i live in wisconsin and am 22 years of age. i've been a singular practicing norse heathen from age 14. as with most other norse heathens i denounce white supremicists.
i got on the norse heathen path with a deeply moving dream. i had been dissatisfied with the beliefs of my family. i don't bash them, i just don't believe what they do. so i was looking into other beliefs and for a time was even atheist, then i found norse mythology. it struck a cord deep in my soul and new this is where i belonged. around 15 or 16 i had my dream. it was amazing. i was in a forest with a stream flowing through it. i looked down and picked something up out of the stream, it was a mjollnir pendant(that's thors hammer for those not familiar with the norse mythology) it was glowing silvery blue. i immediately woke up and knew that the Gods were with me. in all the years since i have never forgotten one detail of that dream or forgotten exactly how everything appeared.

so....hopefully this will be a nice cozy thread for us pagans to discuss freely about our beliefs.

regards,
optimus

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Hi optimus!

God bless you and keep you under His wing.

I am not a pagan nor am I christian - I have no religion, only trust in my Father (who is also your Father) and call Him Odin if you like - or whatever. He needs no name to define, and whatever you need, He give you for He loves you.

That is my stance on these things and I know that the age of the Saints is the kingdom of 'the heathen.'

So you'll have the final triumph if you maintain a heart fillled with love and truth.

Just wanted to give you my .02!

Peace multiplied to you...

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Oh yeah - and you can think of me as a Valkyrie if you like.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Heres something I don't understand. Why would anybody label themselves as Pagan. If I remember correctly, Pagan was an insulting term made by Christians that essentially is a label for every non-christian religion. If your a pagan, it means your a heathen and a false god worshipper.

I dunno about you, but I know I would never label myself with such an insulting term, and personally ,the idea of using it as a name for a religion just doesnt make sense.

Its sortof like those goth kids that walk around and say theyre goth and unique, but buy all theyre goth clothes from a mass market chain of stores that make theyre stuff solely to market them to goths, therefore not making them unique at all.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
lol, i'll tell you exactly why we use the term heathen. first of all it's a derivation of heath...meaning of the hearth. secondly it is to show that we are who we are because we choose to be and gladly accept such denigrating labels to show that we won't be forced into capitulation. does that mean we hate abrahamic religions? not for most of us, we just think they're silly for wanting to force everyone to believe as they do. it's their right to prostelityze, but it's our right to ignore them

but hey that's how it goes for a lot of things in life

and queenannie, thanks for your kind words. however i must profess....odin is not my only god, although he is one of my patrons. and he is distinct from the abrahamic god
and as a norse heathen i must earn what i gain, self reliance and industriousness are two of the nine noble virtues we try to stick by.

all in all great responses folks keep em up!!

optimus

Cug

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Holygamer
Heres something I don't understand. Why would anybody label themselves as Pagan. If I remember correctly, Pagan was an insulting term made by Christians that essentially is a label for every non-christian religion. If your a pagan, it means your a heathen and a false god worshipper.

Nope, Pagan means country people, The fact that the early Christians took it up as an insult reflects more upon the Christians than the Pagans.

Originally posted byoptimus primal
so after all that i'll introduce myself and my belief system and encourage all pagans to do the same.

I'm a Thelemite (for more info click the Thelema link in my sig). While Thelema is not an "official" Pagan faith it's not uncommon for us to be involved with the Pagan community.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
very interesting cug, i knew it was started by crowley but all the other info i had no idea, an extremely informative thread you have there

very cool. i like this, i hope more poster like you join the convo

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
very interesting cug, i knew it was started by crowley but all the other info i had no idea, an extremely informative thread you have there

very cool. i like this, i hope more poster like you join the convo

Thre was a thread recently about pagan religion,
www.belowtopsecret.com...

You might enjoy it..

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   

If I remember correctly, Pagan was an insulting term made by Christians that essentially is a label for every non-christian religion. If your a pagan, it means your a heathen and a false god worshipper.

Only except for the fact that the "Church Fathers" of Christianity borrowed a lot of Concepts & Ideas (& even modified Symbols) of other Pagan Religions & then called it their own - then went on to denounce & persecute the very same Pagan Religions & People! I don't think Jesus would have approved - having been Persecuted & Tortured & accused of Blasphemy & being a "Sorcerer" Himself!

[edit on 9-10-2006 by Seraphim_Serpente]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Nah, the whole concept of Jesus himself was taken from other religions, so there's no way a mythical entity could be persecuted in that way.

As for Pagan, I'm still a little unclear about what you mean.
Could you clarify?

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   

As for Pagan, I'm still a little unclear about what you mean.
Could you clarify?

Sure - although it might have started out as "Country Folk" - it has Evolved to mean any Religion or Symbol or God or Worship or Practice or Theology other than those of
Strictly Interpreted (i.e. Orthodox or Conservative) Judeo-Christianity.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Wow, that's a pretty broad catagory. This includes Islam, Buddhism, and Hinduism?
I always thought that the big ones had their own name, while all the little, no-name religions ended up with the title Pagan.

Personally I don't identify with any religion. I don't even thing Jesus was a real dude, so where do I fit in? I am still very spiritual, but I don't think that any religion is right, and their very existance essentially makes them wrong.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Wow, that's a pretty broad catagory. This includes Islam, Buddhism, and Hinduism?
I always thought that the big ones had their own name, while all the little, no-name religions ended up with the title Pagan.

Personally I don't identify with any religion. I don't even thing Jesus was a real dude, so where do I fit in? I am still very spiritual, but I don't think that any religion is right, and their very existance essentially makes them wrong.

Depends on who you ask. If you ask fundies like Jack Chick, Texe Marrs, Doc Marguilles, Fred Phelps etc the answer is yes. They would also tell you that everyone
that does not believe exactly what they believe is hell bound.

Personally if it their ilk that are going to populate this place called heaven Ill see you in Hel.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I get it....

Odin
Hel

I always figured that if all the rockers, and and partiers would end up in hell, it must be a fun place.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
An Olde Irish Toast

Why Worry?
There are only 2 things to worry about.
Either you are well or You are sick.

If You are Well, there is nothing to worry about.
If you are sick, There are only 2 things to worry about,
either you will die or you will get well.

If you get well, there is nothing to worry about.
If you die there are only 2 things to worry about.
Either you are going to Heaven or you are going to Hell.

If you go to Heaven there is nothing to worry about.
If you go to hell,
You will be so busy shaking hands with old friends you won't
have time to worry.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Yes you are right & yes they are - what else would you expect from Fundamentalists?

I myself practice a Blend of Mystical & Esoteric forms of Buddhism & Christianity (including certain Gnostic aspects) - so I would be considered a "Pagan" by the Orthodox. I really don't mind the Label although I consider myself to be more of a Spiritual, Mystical, Open Minded person!

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Paganism,at least as I have come to understand it, is the worship of multiple gods,goddesses and such. However, through my research paganism, as defined, does not really exist. I will tell you why.

If you examine all of these gods and goddesses, they are really just attributes of a singular God. Therefore, there is no big distinction between monotheism and paganism other than people's misconception of what paganism actually is.

I am not pagan,nor am I an orthodox Christian, but I support your right to be one. Cheers for starting the thread. By the way, most would say that I have Gnostic tendencies.

[edit on 10-10-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
SpeakerofTruth - I think that you mean "Monotheism" vs. "Polytheism" i.e. the Belief & Worship of one God vs. the Belief & Worship of many. Although you did hit the nail on the head - more or less - since "Polytheism" would be considered "Pagan".

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

If you examine all of these gods and goddesses, they are really just attributes of a singular God. Therefore, there is no big distinction between monotheism and paganism other than people's misconception of what paganism actually is.

which pagan religion are you speaking of? i know personally that in the case of teutonic reconstructural religions like norse heathenism that what you've said is not the case. all the norse Gods and Goddesses are singular beings with distinct personalites and attributes.
you are correct in some cases, there are some religions where their gods are aspects of one divine being, but it's not universal amongst pagans.

and for those who've asked what defines pagans.....well in the online pagan circles i've frequented, it's any religion that is not of abrahamic origin. so basically everything except christians, muslims and jews. hel even atheists are technically pagan. although in all honesty that definition is more than likely based on abrahamic views. but hey...what are ya gonna do ? lol

rasobasi it is a very broad category, and just like the so-called "major" religions there are a lot of differences in opinion as to who's in and who's not. personally i take the view of the definition i posted.

as for fundies, i can't stand them, no matter what religion they are from. fundies muddle the true beliefs of whatever religion they pretend to back. it's them who really make relations between religions strained and sometimes nearly impossible.

i'm glad you've all posted
i was kinda concerned no one cared when there weren't any further responses for a couple days lol.

thanks folks!

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ersatz

Thre was a thread recently about pagan religion,
www.belowtopsecret.com...

You might enjoy it..

thanks ersatz, i've come across that thread before, it's really good. skadi does an excellent job.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join