It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-35: First Flight Imminent

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Ok, Mondays 69 MPH (60 Kt) taxi test was successful, today the F-35 will perform the 85 Kt and possibly the 110 Kt test. If all goes as planned the only thing left to do will be to fly which should happen sometime this week, possibly Thursday.

New Picture

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Wow that is a sweet lookin plane

I like how they have the flags of all the participating companies on the side, nice touch.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Yeah i saw that earlier. That's awesome because now the major hurdle is out of the way and we dont have to worry about a sudden lack in funding

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
UPDATE:

FORT WORTH, Texas, December 12, 2006 --

The first F-35 Lightning II speeds along the runway at 127 miles per hour on Dec. 12 at Lockheed Martin in Fort Worth, Texas. Engineers will review the taxi-test data before giving the final "go" for the aircraft's first flight.

In a series of tests that began on Dec. 7, F-35 Chief Pilot Jon Beesley guided the fighter along the runway at increasing speeds to evaluate the aircraft’s ground handling and systems. On Dec. 12, Beesley executed two final taxi runs, the first at 80 knots (~ 92 m.p.h.) and the last at 110 knots (~ 127 m.p.h.). Pushed along by the Pratt & Whitney F135 turbofan – the most powerful fighter engine in history – the Lightning II performed its final taxi runs successfully and as predicted.

Over the next 24 hours the flight test team will review all taxi-test data, and although the date for first flight is not definite, the flight window will be from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. CST when all conditions – weather, etc. – are "go."

As for the coverage here is what LM has to say about it, looks like we wont have to wait long for pictures and video. Oh and there is a bigger version of the picture in the link.

Media will be immediately apprised via Media Advisory upon conclusion of the flight about a press availability at Lockheed Martin in Fort Worth. There also will be a Live International Press Teleconference to be held at the same time, as well as information for a same-day satellite video feed of first flight.

- Flight photos will be available after the flight on site and online at the press release section of Lockheed Martin’s website and www.teamjsf.com.
- A phone-in news conference will begin about two hours after completion of first flight. Call-in information will be provided in a subsequent advisory.
- The satellite video feed will be released shortly following completion of first flight.
Satellite-coordinate information will be provided in a subsequent advisory.
- The flightline media opportunity at Lockheed Martin in Fort Worth will also be available at the conclusion of the phone-in news conference.

Link

Here are some more pictures form the high speed taxi tests.

Now that they've had a day to review the result of the high speed tests some sources say first flight is scheduled for tomorrow (14 Dec) at 9:00 AM Central Standard Time.

[edit on 13-12-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
What company flags are those ? Look like normal flags from different countries. Am I missing something ?

Lex

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
They're the flags of the partner nations. I think they are in order of contribution to date.

EDIT: Definitely in order of contributions to date. And for those wondering about why the flags appear back to front, it is because that's the way a real flag would look when the vehicle (or person in the case of shoulder patches) is moving forward.

[edit on 13-12-2006 by Willard856]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Yeah, I meant to say countries. My bad yo

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I think there was a minor glitch during the high speed taxi test so they might do another high speed test to see if the fix worked, so guys it's either Friday or Saturday depending on how tings go. Right now I think the only deadline is 'before the end of the year'. I wish they would just hurry up and be done with it, I can't wait any longer!

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I think there was a minor glitch during the high speed taxi test

EH?!?!?!

Something ACTUALLY went wrong on a taxi test???

I thought they were just the biggest waste of time ever (certainly given modern simulation methods) - pretty much for show.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316
Something ACTUALLY went wrong on a taxi test???

Well, yes. But nothing serious. Some minor anomaly in air-data sensor, so the engineers have one additional day to fix it. The next chance for the first flight is Friday.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Within the last half hour or so it appears that they performed another high speed taxi test, perhaps to check out whatever changes they implemented after the glitch. If all went well on this one the big day could be tomorrow, though I'm not certain about that. There is apparently a live video feed available via the internet from LM which shows all the major runs that they have and are doing. But I think this is restricted to people within the project, I'll get back to you on that one...

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I was there today as the plane taxied buy us on its way to the North end of the runway, today's test was another high speed taxi, 2 chase planes were in the air, along with a helicopter filming the entire thing. I havent heard when the flight will be, alot of us are hoping it will be tomorrow.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
"wmdbuilder", in what capacity where you there? Are you part of the program or were you there with the other aficionados which have gathered outside Fort Worth's gate in preparation for the big day?

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Check out the F-35 Test Pilot Video interview, very good and in-depth.

cbs11tv.com...@ktvt.dayport.com

F-35 Tests today. Video taxi tests....
cbs11tv.com...@ktvt.dayport.com

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Excellent find XPhiles!!! Thanks for sharing, hope they do the same for the flight video.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Westpoint, I work for Lockheed.
Nice find on the videos, as a matter of fact its hard to tell, but when the
F35 taxis near a large group of people to the left of the aircraft, I was standing in the bed of one of the Flight Ops truck, it was fun to be out there watching it, I will be out there tomorrow filming.

[edit on 14-12-2006 by wmdbuilder]

[edit on 14-12-2006 by wmdbuilder]

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
New Picture

Bigger version can be found Here.

And you can now download a short high resolution clip of today's High Speed Taxi Test from the Team JSF website. Notice the hook in the picture, in case you didn't know all version of the F-35 will have an arresting hook. Naturally only the one in the C and B versions will be durable and strong enough for carrier operations, the rest is for ground ops.

Video Linky Here

Look at that bird shake as it tries to get off the ground even though it can't, yet.

[edit on 14-12-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Hey guys and gals figured i'd post this here as its the most active f-35 thread right now.
Canada has just released info on the dnd.ca website talking about the signing on to the phase 3 and being the 2nd country to sign on. for more info you can check out the link provided but it more or less talk about Canada being able to secure up to 8 billion in contracts and has an underlaying current that the signing of this furthers Canada's commitment to purchasing the plane in the long term as a replacement to the CF-188. Not surprising considering that Canada was also the 1st or 2nd to get the 18's and go through the teething issues along side the States.
Oh and can't wait to see footage of the machine in the air. it'll be great to see some new flying metal. good luck to all who are involved.

heres the link.
www.forces.gc.ca...

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
She flew at 12:44 PM CST, the live video feed was great, I will post pictures and perhaps a video after work. Later!!!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join