It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-35: First Flight Imminent

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by emile
There is no future if thrust less than 45000lb on F-35!

Okay, this gentle man or gentle woman, feels that the aircraft is under powered.

Does the JSF have enough power for the job?
If not what compimises might need to be made?

Okay, I know the whole aircraft is a comprimise.

Dead Steve:

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
What have they done to this website!!!

lol...thats what I though yesterday...I hadn't been to the site in awhile, came back...and it went black on me. I think it looks good though...not so much dull grey everywhere.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneMyrmidon
Emile, please be careful what you had stated. The F135 engine is the most powerful ever built in white-world fighter jets. It is twice more powerful than Eurofighter Typhoon's twin engines can combined! The designers even said that the single engine can carry three empty-loaded of F-35 easily into air. Think about it, how powerful 40,000 lbs of thrust can be. F-22 got F119 engines and they will have these engines someday in upgrade program or new variant known as F-22C. Doesn't it have nice ring to that?

Wrong...

Eurofighter's twin rolls royce engines produce a combined thrust of 40,000lbs+

It is technically impossible to put two F35 engines into a Raptor because of the physical size.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Update:

The low speed taxi tests (30 knots) did not take place on the 5th, the schedule was delayed due bad weather. However the low speed taxi tests are expected tomorrow and the AA-1 WILL fly next week for ~60 minutes, this was confirmed by Brigadier General David R. Heinz.

posted on Dec, 7 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Ok guys one taxi test down two to go before Monday's scheduled maiden flight. But the weather forecast is bad for Monday so the flight might be delayed a day or two.

jra

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Any idea if it will be viewable live over the web somewhere? (This is probably not that big of a deal to do something like that though)

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jra
Any idea if it will be viewable live over the web somewhere?

They wouldn't do that for a host of reasons, but I suspect within a day or two of the flight you might see some pictures and perhaps a short video on You Tube or the official Lockheed F-35 website. No cameras except official Lockheed of Air Force ones are allows on base so we'll have to wait until the internal videos and pictures sent to the workers get released or leaked.

EDIT:
I looked at the TeamJSF website and it appears that for subscribers there may be a video stream of some sorts when the F-35 flies.

[edit on 8-12-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
UPDATE:

Here is an official report and some pictures from the F-35's first taxi test. (Bigger image in Link 1)

FORT WORTH, Texas , December 8, 2006 --

The F-35 Lightning II moved under its own power for the first time on Thursday afternoon, initiating the last series of tests before the fighter jet’s first flight.

After a series of systems checks at Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] in Fort Worth, F-35 Chief Pilot Jon Beesley advanced the throttle and the F-35 moved out of its hangar to begin taxi tests. The jet then traveled at up to 30 knots (~ 35 m.p.h.) on the runway, testing systems such as brakes and nosewheel steering in advance of first flight. Medium-speed taxi tests of 65 knots (~ 75 m.p.h.) and 80 knots (~ 92 m.p.h.) are planned next, weather permitting. The first Lightning II is powered by the Pratt & Whitney F135 turbofan, the most powerful engine ever installed in a fighter aircraft.

Link 1

Link 2

Damn it's good to see this bird finally moving about!

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   
good to see it had a successful first taxi...but I'm really waiting to see the first flight.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Anyone know the detail design changes made from X-35 to F-35?

I'd guess its something similar to the amount of YF-22/F-22 changes...

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
good to see it had a successful first taxi...but I'm really waiting to see the first flight.

First flight is scheduled for this coming Monday, Dec 11th, around 10am central time. It should last about 60 minutes barring any unforseen circumstances.

[edit on 12-9-2006 by intelgurl]

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
My GOD, that's a nice looking aircraft !!
Not as sweet as the SR-71, but a CLOSE runner-up !

Lex

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316
Anyone know the detail design changes made from X-35 to F-35?

The F-35 has a nose 12 centimeters (5 inches) longer than the X-35 demonstrator, while the tailplane has been moved back 5 centimeters (2 inches), and the tailfins have been rearranged a bit. All the flight controls, except for the electromechanically driven leading-edge flaps. are driven by an interesting "electro-hydrostatic actuation system (EHAS)", in which the actuators are all hydraulic -- but are self-contained and driven by electrical signals, not operating off a central hydraulic system. This gives the advantage of hydraulic power with easier maintenance and greater combat survivability than traditional hydraulic systems. Although the individual weight of each of the EHAS actuators is more than that of a traditional actuator, the overall system weight is less.

Link

Also, the intakes are different, the X-35 had no weapon bays, no gun "bulge" and area, different landing gear arrangements and two underbody speed brake flaps which the F-35 lacks.

The X-35 used F-119's with a short and fat nozzles whereas the AA-1 uses the F-135. The canopy on the X-35 is in two pieces and opens to one side. The F-35 has a single piece canopy that pivots on the front opening forward. And I've heard that the overall airframe has also gone through extensive aerodynamic changes with the wing and tail surfaces increasing in area, but I cannot confirm this.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Anyone see this story yet? UK threatening to pull out from their F35 deal unless they turn over the souce code

www.timesonline.co.uk...

If the UK canceled the deal what effect would this have on the overall program?

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost
Anyone see this story yet? UK threatening to pull out from their F35 deal unless they turn over the souce code

www.timesonline.co.uk...

If the UK canceled the deal what effect would this have on the overall program?

warpboost,

america don't want to hand over codes to their 'closest' ally they'd rather give nuclear technology to india and arm israel instead

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I'm not the OP but please don't dilute this thread with that topic, I can tell where it's going so please start a separate thread for it. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Nice picture and updates WestPoint23

a lot of people interested in this and also countries too

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by OneMyrmidon
Emile, please be careful what you had stated. The F135 engine is the most powerful ever built in white-world fighter jets. It is twice more powerful than Eurofighter Typhoon's twin engines can combined! The designers even said that the single engine can carry three empty-loaded of F-35 easily into air. Think about it, how powerful 40,000 lbs of thrust can be. F-22 got F119 engines and they will have these engines someday in upgrade program or new variant known as F-22C. Doesn't it have nice ring to that?

yes, power of engine on F-35 almost be eqaul to twin engine power of EF, but empty weight of F-35 also heavier than EF approxi to 1000kg.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
st3ev_o - It was pointless to make a thread on that, the topic has been beatin to death, use the search and I'm sure you will find many thread already done about that very topic.

And I see nothing wrong with selling weapons to Israel, its nice to know theres one good country in the middle-east mess.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join