It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have I found the Korean nuke test site?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I think I could have found (yeah, I'm not sure at all) one of the two tunnels South Korea said the North Koreans could test a nuclear weapon in.
I was looking for a mountain that was apparently '17 kilometres north-north-west of P'unggye-yok,' called Mount Mantap (by who, I don't know. Probably not the Koreans).
Apparently, spy satellites spotted large reels of cable outside the entrance, but I see no signs of activity there, so there is a good chance this is not the right place - check the links to Global Security sat images of the tunnels below. The reels are reportedly used to get data from the blast to recording devices before the sensors are annihilated.

TaipeiTimes.com

A 700m deep shaft has been built with a horizontal tunnel running nearby at Mount Mantap in North Hamkyong province on the North's northeast coast, the English-language JoongAng Daily reported, citing Chung Hyung-keun, a lawmaker from the opposition Grand National Party.

If this is the right place, the Koreans sure did a good job of regrowing/transplanting forest to cover things, if the Global Security images are anything to go by.

That clearing on the left is 20 metres wide, and is located on the side of a fairly large hill. There is clearly a road leading up the hill from the 'base' further down the river. The river flows north, btw, as far as I could work out.

(Click on the images to get full size)

Sorry about the images being a bit washed out, but that area is pretty much pitch black. I had to insert a white image on top and reduce the transparency to lighten the area enough so that I could see. Its a handy trick. Last image is obviously lightened in PS.

Also, a hotlink to this region on WikiMapia.org.

BUT, according to GlobalSecurity.org, the surrounding area actually looks a fair bit different:

and

I've probably found the wrong place, I'd say, so does anyone else have an idea where this thing could be?

I've got to be close, at least.

EDIT: As always happens after you post something, you notice new things. Dammit. I don't think this is the place. I just can't work out where it would be!
Newspapers printing Pyongyang as the location have got it wrong, I believe. As far as I know, there are no nuke facilities in the NK capital. There is a facility about 100 kilometres north that they may be referring to, but seriously, why would they want to explode a nuke that close to their capital?

[edit on 6/10/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Here is an article I ran across while reading the news this morning.Maybe it will help you pinpoint.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Ahh, thanks, that's great. But still, there were a lot of sources reporting the other location . . . I'll look into it tomorrow. Ta

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Your find turns out to be the tunnels -- all I can say is good work. That's real chuzpah there searching for it.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Ummmm... the Google sat images are not realtime. Not even close to realtime. Some of them are several years old. That would be why you aren't seeing recent activity there (assuming there is some). Interesting find though.

top topics

join