It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese JDAM

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Well, kinda. This image of a Chinese PGM bomb-kit would give the Chinese a similar cheap stand-off PGM capability as US JDAM with Diamondback kit, although accuracy is probably less. May be GPS guided but most likely has a less accurate INS back-up.

Likely launch platforms are the JH-7 and Su-30MK/MKK. With smaller bombs, the A-5 might be a launch platform also.

Going by the image, the designation is LS-6.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Well if it is GPS gided then it has already been rendered vulnerable to American control og the GPS system. In anywar the GPS sugnals could be " turned off " or detined. If it is inertially guided then I suspectthe accuracy would be woeful as the the launching platform would't know exactly where it was without GPS.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I'm quite interested in your 'turning off' GPS concept..
I've heard this before and have never really figured out how it would be practically employable except executing a 'blackout' the civilian band for the better protion of an entire hemisphere..

As for the bomb itself: looks like the flip wings and the tail fins are more of an add-on to a 'dumb' bomb.

[edit on 6-10-2006 by Daedalus3]

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Well I assume urinign off would mean stopping the triangulation signals travelling through CHinese airspace. This wouldn't necesarily blackout most of the world, as only the signals converging on CHina or the warzone would be interrupted. Sateelites over the horizon would still be transmitting, although the signals for civilian use near the aaffected area would be degraded, they would still be useful.
Also, the US could simply change the timing of the signals, to degrade performancce. Maybe changing the accuracy to several hundred meters which is useless for a GPS guided weapon.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Seems to me that it would be a better system to encrypt the signals for certain applications...While denying certain access to the satellites for other users. A system like this which would at a single order or command be replaced into use from its normal daily configuration.

I doubt that in a full wartime situation ..that our home use GPS system would be any good to us here in the USA. It too would be shut down or turned over to special encrypted usage. THis is why I never got all enthusiastic over GPS.

Our highways and total transportation systems have built in provisions for Government takeover ..for Government usage in times of emergency or war. This includes all the airlines, roadways..especially interstates...rivers..etc etc. Why would not the means of navigation have the same provisions. Same with communcatons...including this internet...access?? One single command or order is all it would take.

And yes...the next question is could this control be extended world wide??

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
It looks like the Chinese are trying to improve this "JDAM" by putting this glider thing on it. Our own JDAMs don't have that.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
It looks like the Chinese are trying to improve this "JDAM" by putting this glider thing on it. Our own JDAMs don't have that.

The new generation smart bomb have exactly that ...wings. This is just a more refined control system than the smaller fins on Jdams and laser guided bombs.

THis is the next generation advancement. See the section on small diameter bombs here in the weapons section of ATS.

Also remember ...they can make bombs with wings to be large diameter bombs and launch from far off. Just a matter of scaling up the design. The ability of this type of wepon..the advantage.. is the standoff range ...not afforded to the more conventional guided munitions. Long standoff ranges means more safety to the pilots and planes delivering these munitions.

This is just a winged adaptor kit to a conventional bomb. To get the most advantage out of this design the whole bomb needs to be streamlined or aerodynamically designed to blend in to the flight characterstics needed to deliver from great stand off ranges. Think about this when you look at this picture. Once again ..see the section on Small Diameter bombs here in the weapons section of ATS.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Silly question, but how can a little aircraft like that white thing pictured, carry such a massive payload.

Is it a model radio-controlled aircraft, or am I missing the point somewhere?

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
As far as I know, the GPS system as we know it, is not switched off. My GPS is still working fine, but does take a little while longer to lock on to sats. I do believe that frequencies or channels are switched and may also be encrypted.

But this is done only in areas or countries where military operations are taking place. Not surprising really, as they [sats] were in fact deployed for military use.

The civilian market in GPS navigation is just a by-product, much the same as the computer industry is a by-product of the space age and NASA.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Hey Fritz,

Yep, you are missing the point a little! The whole package (including wing kit pictured) is fitted to a larger aircraft. You can see the black lugs at the top of the bomb which connect it to the aircraft.

I'd like to see some more details before passing judgment on the weapon. It isn't a surprising development, the Chinese weapon development programs are maturing quite nicely. Little wonder that the US is concerned at their rate of development.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Willard856, I know!

I was being sarcastic and the two black luggs, are Fuselage or Wing Mounts. The wings make the assy more aerodynamically streamlined.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I saw this picture yesterday and thought it was a CGI. Planeman, do you have any specs?

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
I saw this picture yesterday and thought it was a CGI. Planeman, do you have any specs?

Another perspective...
Wouldn't the wings just give it more lift and thus a slightly enhanced range?

GPS:

my point is that since the 24 sats are not geo-synched(they have relative velocities to the surface of the earth), it means that turning off the GPS would constitute a technological challenge to get it just right. Also because each of the sats need to communicate with other sats for continuous postional updates realtive to other sats.
Turning off would require certain windows of blackouts for each sat and the loss of that sat would increase the load on the others..
Encryption already exists from the point of view of the civ and mil bands.
I'm just saying tha tturning of the civ bands would be tough and affect many ohter neutral parites heavily dependant on GPS( Airlines, ships...losts hikers!!
).

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Daedalus
The GPS system can be istantly turned to military only mode = No one but US armed forces and those that USA trusts can use the system.
Most likely this means that the positioning signal is switched to frequencies that are out side normal recievers band/encrypted /freq-hopping

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3

Another perspective...

I thought that because couldn't imagine china developing so fast, but i was surprised with the Type-52 destroyers and the yuan submarines as well as the SD-10. All of them came out of the blue

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 04:47 AM
link   
[ext]http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/smart/jdamp2a.jpg[/ext]

thats a JDAM - which ofc looks like a normal bomb with a tail glued on

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
There's no way Chinese would build a weapon relying on american guidance system. It would be extremely stupid of them. More likely it is just some kind of inertial guidance.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I dont believe inertial navigation is accurate enought for conventional weapons delivery and consistency. Nuclear yes...conventional no. It would have to be some combinationn of Inertial/GPS. What you dont see on this model of weapon is the laser seeker head common on weapons which are lased to their targets.

I believe you are talking about a accuracy of 50 feet or closer for this type of weapon to be consistently accurate.

The other thing we would be looking for are Chinese advancements into outer space. THeir own satellites or getting thier satellites launched on other peoples rockets..their own GPS Type system.

Northwolf is correct about the GPS being switched to Military only modes. I was told this by one of the electronic techs on a boat I was working at the time. This is one of the reasons I never went for the portable GPS systems for civilian use.
This system...this overide...has been ready and in place for some time. Most of the public has no reason to think of it happening or being done this way. THey are to busy being entertained and amused.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
China does have its own GPS, but its not that accurate as a stand alone system and only covers East Asia

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
Daedalus
The GPS system can be istantly turned to military only mode = No one but US armed forces and those that USA trusts can use the system.
Most likely this means that the positioning signal is switched to frequencies that are out side normal recievers band/encrypted /freq-hopping

There are two bands of frequencies on the GPS: civilian and military
The US military uses the military one(employing all of what you described above) and everyone else uses the other one.
If your were to turn off the civilian band successfully in only a particular area, which itself is difficult to do accurately, it would affect all neutral parites depending on GPS too.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join