It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

periodontal disease,heart disease, low birthweight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Can't see this mentioned anywhere else on this site. Interestingly enough...there *may* be a link. Whether it's cause and effect, or whether it's just association, I have no idea.

crappy gums and heart disease

Similarly, there may or may not be link between periodontal disease and low birthweight in children.

crappy gums and low birth weight/prematurity

If there is some sort of interplay between genes, the immune system and gum infection leading to either heart disease or pregnancy issues, no-one knows. It's something that people are starting to research now.

It would be nice to think that a root cleaning could reduce your chance of a heart attack! Of course, it *could* all just be a conspiracy by dentists to get more periodontal patients now caries is coming under control. Take your pick!

TD

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
it's a worthwhile thing to post....

but, i think the 2003 & 2006 articles (in your links) are just 'reprints' that have been updated to seem contemporary....

i have recollection that that this data was put out to the public 15-20 years ago.

keep us posted on stuff though

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
The earliest I was aware of it being mentioned in dental journals was about '97/8 (in the UK at least), but the number of new studies that are being carried out to a higher standard since then seems to imply that a lot of people are looking at this subject with a lot of interest.

If it *is* a link, it's very interesting in terms of dealing with a big killer.

TD

newer stuff

[edit on 5-10-2006 by TaupeDragon]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Oh yeah. Forgot to mention....

strokes

Start flossing now, people!

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I don't know about low birthweight, but I have been told at my dental office that my 'crappy gums' are putting me at risk for things like septicemia, which as I understand it, is basically blood poisoning. Bacteria or whatever gets in through your gums and migrates into the bloodstream, and then heads all over the body. I don't know all of the specific problems that can be caused, but I'd imagine there are quite a few.

I think a lot of people aren't aware that oral health can affect other parts of the body, as well. I don't consider it a coverup or anything; after all, I learned about this at the dentist, but it definitely could stand to be publicized a lot more. Perhaps in those worthless health courses they teach in grade school...

top topics

join