It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunday Shopping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I understand each province has its own legislation on this issue. Some support while others prohibit, not sure who has what but I do know Alberta and New Brunswick have Sunday shopping. (Lived in both)

Well I am from Nova Scotia and not too long ago we had a plebibiscite that narrowly rejected Sunday shopping.

In the recent weeks we have seen Sobeys & the Atlantic Super Store opening their doors on Sunday and causing a big hoopla in the government. It has been a hot issue in our province for the last few weeks.

Well out of nowhere it is displayed on the news that Rodney MacDonald and the Conservative government have backed down and permitted Sunday Shopping in Nova Scotia.

N.S. judge clears way for Sunday shopping

Updated Wed. Oct. 4 2006 11:12 PM ET

Canadian Press

HALIFAX -- Premier Rodney MacDonald is clearing the way for wide-open Sunday shopping in Nova Scotia now that a judge has struck down regulations aimed at preventing two grocery chains from staying open seven days a week.

A Nova Scotia Supreme Court judge issued a ruling Wednesday that said the regulations unfairly discriminated against Atlantic Superstore and Sobeys.

Soon after, MacDonald said the province will not appeal the decision, and will update the regulations by this Sunday to create a "level playing field."

"This decision means that retail stores will not be restricted by the government," said MacDonald. "Retail stores of all types may choose to open on Sundays and other holidays, with the exception of Remembrance Day."

www.ctv.ca... TVNews/20061004/ns_shopping_061004/20061004?hub=Canada

For awhile it was a debate over to permit or prohibit Sunday shopping. The option was also open for us to permit it a few weeks before Christmas. (Which I believe Prince Edward Island has)

Myself, I am a supporter of Sunday Shopping. We all live hectic lives and having stores open on this day is a serious convenience. I do respect peoples rights to refuse to work, but it should be a decision made by the individual.

I am alittle surprised how quickly the MacDonald government folded on this issue inside our province. People have been begging for another plebiscite but the government stood its ground and said another one was planned for 2008.

This is abit of a welcomed surprise that somethign was actually accomplished. The people spoke in our province and something was done.

Is the apocalypse upon us?

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Yeah, I was down home in July and couldn't believe the noise being made over this. Then again NS is very old school, a lot of religion involved as well. The bottom line is give the people what they want, that includes the corporations.

Now, if they allow the NSLC to open on Sunday, you'll see riots in the streets.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Now, if they allow the NSLC to open on Sunday, you'll see riots in the streets.

It would certainly alleviate the Saturday night traffic jams. No joke!

[edit on 5-10-2006 by chissler]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I remember when i was a kid there were blue laws ... and the stores were closed on Sundays. Man .. Sundays were really DULL. No cable. No internet. No shopping. What the heck did we do all day? Mass took one hour. Then we were stuck with nothing to do (NewEngland and looooong winters indoors)
It was freak'n dull!

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Wow! I had no idea there were still places that didn't allow shopping on Sunday! I remember when I was a kid a lot of stores being closed on Sunday, but now everything is open on Sunday.

Seems a little discriminatory towards non-Christians, doesn't it? What about having stores closed on Friday evening and Saturdays for the Jewish?

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I had read a few days ago that Nova Scotia was the last province to actually ban Sunday Shopping. As I said above, Prince Edward Island does permit Sunday Shopping on the weeks leading up to Christmas, so they still do not allow it throughout the year.

It does make little sense that the Government can dictate when Businesses owners can open and close their shops.

I think its a good day for Nova Scotia and their government, the people's words were finally heard. Although big corporations led the way, we can take alittle gratification out of it.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Ah...I went out to pick up a few things yesterday evening (sunday) thinking, oh ya stores are open now. It was just after 5 PM and NOTHING was open. I was really annoyed. It's pretty much a Bible Thumper's paradise down here in the valley. I need to be back by the ocean I think lol!

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Yesterday was my first taste of Sunday Shopping in NS and it was a nice experience. No more sundays where I have nothing to do except for lay on the couch and casually browse the boards of ATS.

..Wait a minute?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
It was weird for me when Ontario first adopted it. I was against it. Now? It's good all but for those who'd rather not be working Sunday's. Many businesses do stay closed by choice. Many can't - it is a pressure for business.

I found Canadian Tire being open on a Sunday exceedingly helpful a number of times. I also really like it for food shopping and dining out. There is no question that it helps the economy at least in large urban centres. Is it for everyone? No. Everybody needs time off, at least two days a week.

Many do not get even one full day off very often. Sundays in many parts of Toronto are a cultural event in themselves on a Sunday because they are allowed to be open... the Danforth and Queen St. West in Toronto come to mind.

Sunday shopping has it's good and less than good parts.

Victor K.

43'

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I have the misfortune of living in South Carolina. They still have blue laws here. In some counties, you cant buy certain things until after 1pm, and all over the state there are NO alcohol sales, unless youre in a private club or restaurant.

So basically, you can go to a bar, get drunk, and drive home, but you cant sit in your home and drink a few beers.

.........unless of course you stocked up on saturday (which is my advice).
Im surprised these laws havent been taken off the books yet. Its really archaic if you think about it.

top topics

join