It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US makes "Blunt" Threat to North Korea

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Retinoid,
This is one of North Koreas main goals.To start An arms race between China and Japan.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
America can make all the threats it wants against NK, but you do not have the money, forces or intelligence on the ground to anything about it.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   

posted by marg6043

The US wants China to take control of NK issues but China is just adding to the problems with NK. [Edited by Don W]

Right On, Marg. I think China is giving the US fits over Taiwan. America has a short attention span. Look at Afghan. The Chinese will ultimately make a strong move to recover Taiwan. Then the US will have to make a choice of going nuclear or waving goodby to Taipei. Based on the lack of progress around the world, that may come sooner than later.

Bombing a nation like NK like some wants in this thread proves that many people thinks that violence can fix it all.

Turning your back to these problematic nations and trying to have regime changes has proven not to be a very good strategic plan of action

" . . look what Iraq has turned into and tell me if that is fixing any problems,. Is just creating more problems for our future. [Edited by Don W]

It’s so tragic. We had a good situation in place in 2001. But Bush43 blew it all the way. I don’t know who guided him, but no one man could mess up some many things in so many places. Not in one lifetime. What a L E G A C Y!

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
PEADY I have often wondered if that is some people's goals...to start an arms race between China, Japan, and India.

Maybe its China idea

What concerns me is not weather North Korea tests a device,but how Japan will react.

This test would be conciderd " the staw that broke the camels back"

If Japans country and honor our threatend... watch out.(remember WW2)

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   

posted by PEADY

This is one of North Korea’s main goals. To start An arms race between China and Japan.

I think North Korea is a client state of China's. If that is true, then NK in the end will do what Beijing says for it to do. We - the US - have no influence with NK. We won't even talk to them. How can you exert influence if you won't talk?

Of course, that’s the Bush43 Condo Rice foreign policy. We won’t talk to Cuba. We won’t talk to Hamas. We won’t talk to Hezbollah. We won’t talk to Syria. We wont talk to Iran. Thai is why America is a great county, we wont talk to anybody we don't like! Thank you Bush43, I didn’t know that.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neon Haze

It could take 30+ years before radiation levels fall to within acceptable levels depending on the type of material spread.

[edit on 5-10-2006 by Neon Haze]

I think it is actually 300 yrs for acceptable inhabiting of area..

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Look , I know you think the current administration we have here is the cause for all evils. But you know when NK does set off nukes , who do you want to stop them from using them. Are YOU going to come up and do this , no way. Think. You have a roge nation wanting nukes to kill. The people their in NK are starving , help them out . They do not want the nukes. The leader of the country wants the nukes, now are YOU going to do something about it??. Nope did not think so. So , while I for one do not like being the one to tell you that we (Americans) are the go to guys , so you do not have to , I say , let them do anything they want , let them all have nukes , even Iran. Then we will just take our manufacturing from the other countries we have them in and start doing the tariff on incoming goods that YOU make. I say time for us Americans to stand up to YOU who have noo clue as to what we are. I say again let all are American manufactures come home and take all of our dollars and convert them to gold then all the oil we export we get to keep for us and start to use all the expertise we have in engineering to right the ship of foreign bankers left us. I do not like and as well of all the other Americans on this boad tell us what we are like and what we will do. NK problem is now your problem , so what are you going to do about it. Many Blessings.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Enough of america bashing ok

Who is bashing America?
When you speak of Americans and you, who are you talking about?

I say time for us Americans to stand up to YOU who have noo clue as to what we are.

please clarify.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   

1) We’ve had 3 years and 2,800 dead GIs to bring stability to Iraq. Just yesterday a whole battalion of 700 newly trained police were arrested for aiding and abetting the death squads. We lost 18 men in the last 7 days. Bush43 said the job was done on May 1, 2003. Bush43 said democracy was now in Iraq after we held 3 elections. Bush43 appeared on tv to tell us the US had killed al Zarqawi - murder is right - and that the insurgency would soon bo over. Geez.

In the last election, it was an Iraqi joke that you had to vote to get the US out of Iraq! I can’t remember how long it has been since the current effort at a US puppet government was started but it surely has not succeeded. Let's face it, we blew it, big!

The only way out of Iraq for America is to invoke the ‘Sue For Peace’ of old Europe, and let the UN mediate our withdrawal.

Otherwise, we are looking for a 1975 Saigon type withdrawal. Let’s's quit the killing of our own men uselessly. And stop killing Iraqis.

2) As for the US vis a vis NK, that is another of Bush43's L E G A C Y. There was an agreement in 2001, but Bush43 broke it unilaterally. As is his custom. We ordinary citizens are paying the price for incompetence at magnificent levels.

China controls NK. They will do what China tells them to do. The US refuses to talk directly to the NK. The US refuses to talk to Cuba. The US refuses to talk to the Hamas. The US refuses to talk to the Hezbollah. The US refuses to talk to the Iranians. Hmm? Why do we need a secretary of state? She who has the bad memory of her days a NSC. Per Bob Woodward. Which do you believe?

North Korea wants bilateral talks with the United States before the six-party talks resume and it wants Washington to ease up on economic pressures. US Sec. Hill repeated that the United States was willing to meet with North Korean officials, but only within the context of six-party talks.

Does this sound like children?

"If there could be less mistrust between the two, certainly I think it will lead to good results," U.N. Ambassador Wang Guangya said. China, Pyongyang's closest ally, called on all parties to return to the six-party talks . . In order to solve the North Korean nuclear issue, Ambassador Guangya said China and many other countries believed the key was progress in U.S.-North Korean relations. [Edited by Don W]
www.cnn.com...

I plainly do not understand the US policy towards NK. All they want is 3-4 nuclear plants - paid for by the US - and food for a couple years. And our troops out of South Korea. We are playing a high stakes poker game where the consequences are too high for the talent of our bettor.

[edit on 10/5/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Its not very nice to blame the adminstration on things it had nothing to do with

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The problem is that Russia and China continue to give North Korea a life line. The way to deal with North Korea isnt military action the best method would would to impose a full air land and sea econmic blockade. Trade incentives need to given to Russia in order to give them a reason to stop trading with North Korea. China would be more diffcult to deal with but Im sure if enough focus and effort was put in a means could be found to prevent china from trading with North Korea.

Once the blockade is in place its only a matter of time before we see the end of the failed state that is North Korea.

[edit on 5-10-2006 by xpert11]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Compare North Korea to South Korea. Area, NK 45,000 sq mi. versus SK 37,400 sq mi. Population, NK 23 million, SK 48 million. GDP NK $40 b. SK $965 b. Per capita income NK $1,700, SK $20,400.

posted by xpert11

Russia and China continue to give North Korea a life line. The way to deal with North Korea isn’t military action. The best method would to impose a full air land and sea economic blockade. Trade incentives to Russia in order to stop trading with North Korea. China would be more difficult to deal with but if enough focus and effort was put in a means could be found to prevent China from trading with North Korea. Once the blockade is in place its only a matter of time before we see the end of the failed state that is North Korea. [Edited by Don W]

I sure agree it is better to do anything than to launch a US military strike against North Korea. That could precipitate the Chinese invasion of Taiwan and the push by NK into South Korea. Don’t forget Seoul is merely 50 km or 30 miles south of the DMZ. The last time I heard - 2 years ago - the number of US troops in SK said we had 38,000. I kinda doubt that now, figuring a lot of them are in Afghan or Iraq. On the QT. Regardless, we don’t want this to happen. So, as in Iran, a military strike on NK is out.

As the numbers above show, NK is so far down on the economic ladder they would not know they were embargoed. Besides, China is not going to let anything really bad happen to NK. I believe that with all my heart. I don’t see China letting NK fire off a nuke, either, but then, I don’t know how much China wants Taiwan. Until we resolve that issue, there is not much the US can bring to bear on China. They don’t want to stop supplying Wal-Mart and we cant stop borrowing money from them. So it sounds like a standoff to me. All the way around. Which is what is peaking NK to try to get some aid from the US.

North Korea’s Industrial capital stock is nearly beyond repair as a result of years of under investment and shortages of spare parts. Industrial and power output have declined in parallel. Despite an increased harvest in 2005 because of 1) favorable weather conditions, 2) fertilizer assistance from South Korea, and an extraordinary 3) mobilization of the population to help with agricultural production, the nation has suffered its 11th year of food shortages because of on-going systemic problems, including a lack of arable land, collective farming practices, and chronic shortages of tractors and fuel. Massive international food aid deliveries have allowed the people of North Korea to escape mass starvation since famine threatened in 1995 . . CIA World Factbook

I cannot understand why we have this animus for the North Koreans. It makes no more sense than the disagreeable disposition we have towards Cuba. It is very hard for me to reconcile our claimed “humanity” and our bellicose “religiosity” with this kind of foul treatment of 2 peoples who have not harmed us for 50 years. What gives here? What is greatness anyway?

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by donwhite
I cannot understand why we have this animus for the North Koreans. It makes no more sense than the disagreeable disposition we have towards Cuba. It is very hard for me to reconcile our claimed “humanity” and our bellicose “religiosity” with this kind of foul treatment of 2 peoples who have not harmed us for 50 years. What gives here? What is greatness anyway?

You remind me of Neville Chamberlain.
Obviously, "greatness" is not what you think it is, eh?

Here's a thought: While your condemning the US, and others in company, attitudes, "humanity," and "religiousity" towards North Korea, try condeming the "foul treatment" of Kim against his own people, you think?

If, by now, you do not understand the "animus" between the US and North Korea, try re-reading a better academic-styled history book versus an illustrated version. That "animus" is well documented and explained. As such, I find it befuddling that you are having a hard time understanding that "animus" the US has for North Korea and vice versa.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkmind
Errmmm.... I hate to sound negative, but how exactly can the US take out the bouffant-haired midget? What with? The US Army is currently up to its neck in Iraq. You don't have any more forces to deploy from the reserve that are in a battle-ready state.

Nowadays, the most efficient way to get something done in a war isn't with troops.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Donwhite you have raised some interesting points. While its true that cutting off food to starving man wont make much differnce however if you cut off food to the North Korean military you will make a differnce.

The World Food Program lacked any management or control of the distribution. In 1998 a number of highly respected international aid groups, including Medecins sans Frontieres (Doctors without Borders) and the International Federation of Red Cross Societies, "decided not to supply any food aid to the communist state because this food had often been turned over to the military of its own use

link

North Korea announced in December 1993 a 3-year transitional economic policy placing primary emphasis on agriculture, light industry, and foreign trade. However, lack of fertilizer, natural disasters, and poor storage and transportation practices have left the country more than a million tons per year short of grain self-sufficiency. Moreover, lack of foreign exchange to purchase spare parts and oil for electrical generation left many factories idle.

link

The same gose for North Koreas power generation its time to reduce North Koreas limted power generation to nothing.

[edit on 5-10-2006 by xpert11]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
America can make all the threats it wants against NK, but you do not have the money, forces or intelligence on the ground to anything about it.

Your knowledge of the US military capabilities is not to good. We are fully capable of taking out a dozen countries in a single day without putting another person in service. One submarine could turn NK into a wasteland within hours and without allowing them to even begin to retaliate. No President has ever left us unprotected, not even Bush. A few dozen well placed bombs and the citizens of NK would be back to living in caves eating dirt. If this were not true we would be attacked and occupied immediately. This crap your reading on the Internet is just political posturing. We have not even put a tiny scratch in our capabilities. If we did not care about innocent civilians like the terrorists, Iraq would have been a barren wasteland within a few hours. Our people are dying because we are civilized, unlike our enemies and are trying to kill as few innocents as possible. Don't mistake that for weakness. Those who do so, do it at their own peril. NK had better pay attention.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkmind

Originally posted by Faint
Yeah it all seems very imtimidating and such but of course the world will do Nothing ,me...i think the US should go in right this second and take that pshyco out but hey...what do i know

Errmmm.... I hate to sound negative, but how exactly can the US take out the bouffant-haired midget? What with? The US Army is currently up to its neck in Iraq. You don't have any more forces to deploy from the reserve that are in a battle-ready state.

3d Marine Division is stationed in Okinawa, Japan for just that reason. They dont deploy to Iraq. They are trained and conditioned to fight in jungle/artic environments. Just thought I would let you know that. North Korea would have more of a stand up fight, unlike the Insurgents in Iraq. We should just wait until their economy collapses though, just like the USSR. That would be a bloodier battle x 10 compared to Iraq.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Also we would have more then enough troops to fight a two front war. We did so in WWII didnt we? Europe and Asia? So if he thinks that because we are tied up in Iraq, we wont be able to do anything over there? He is crazy. Plus there is China and Japan over there ready to step in as well if they think things are getting to crazy. They are neighbors.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk

You have done gone and lost your mind Peru. Couldnt have said it any better Blain. Ha ha, Cant do anything about it...you will see just how much the US would do. Have a nice day. *Kaboom!*

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
dont you see it. iraq, iran, venezuella, china, north korea, cuba. come on, they are starting to gang up on u.s.a. im sure more countries will come out of this mess. 2007 beginning of end times

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join